Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE BATTERY LIFE

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
What else can I do that I may be missing to help increase battery life? The only social media I have on my phone is Instagram and Facebook, noticed that Facebook was set to check for updates every hour, turned that off completely. I'm not going to turn WIFI off because I only have 2gb of data and that goes pretty quick. Location I have begun turning off and not just leaving it on all day but flipping it back on when I could use it. All of the Verizon bloatware I have turned off.

I have Yahoo Weather but no widgets running, don't see any way to change the settings to not update every so often only ability to turn off certain functions like alerts, I really like the app but maybe it updates every hour and there is no way to fix that? It would be great if I could set it to manual and only update when I open the app.

Any other tips ????:-$:-$:-$

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
What apps do you have set up and running? What is the battery app you're running that shows up in the status bar? Have you verified that all bloatware is turned off, including notifications?

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm not using a battery app, just go to settings and click "Battery"

Apps that I have installed and use the most frequently:

AeroFS
Evernote: Set sync to 1 week
Handecent SMS
SolCalendar (cant seem to find a sync frequency setting)
Photos
Camera
Yahoo Weather
Instagram
Facebook (just changed last night the fetch frequency from 1 hour to never)
Snapchat
Play Store (turned off automatic update / download)
CloudMagic with 3 linked emails
Gmail with 2 linked emails
Dual Clock Widget
PowerAMP
Swiftkey
Nova Launcher with Belle UI Icon Pack

Apps I have installed but don't get much use:
FB messenger
Chase
Smart Remote
Amazon
Save My Snaps
Uber
Google Authenticator (annoying I feel like it runs 24/7 generating new codes, no way to change it?)
Ring Central (have all the settings turned off)
HipChat

And then Everything else is just the stock . bloatware stuff from samsung / google / verizon....all of the verizon apps I have forced stop and the bloatware like the NFL app

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
One thing that is a bit frustrating for me is that with my iPhone 5s, after a year of use, I could still be at 100% battery after having the phone unplugged for an hour, listening to music via Bluetooth for a 15 minute car ride in the morning and checking / deleting a bunch of emails.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
One thing that is a bit frustrating for me is that with my iPhone 5s, after a year of use, I could still be at 100% battery after having the phone unplugged for an hour, listening to music via Bluetooth for a 15 minute car ride in the morning and checking / deleting a bunch of emails.

coming from a blackberry, i too had the same kind of shock as i would literally be watching the battery percentage drop 2, 3, 4% right before my eyes as i was simply using the device to configure my email settings etc.

i thought there was something wrong with my battery/phone till i started watching youtube vids and would see the same kind of drain per minute as people were demonstrating things on the phone.

i too think its crazy that a phone monster battery in 2014 can deplete so quickly when honestly doing nothing but having the screen on, but after reading around, this is the norm with android devices. so i am living with it.

Shorebreeze

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Having read the FCC report on the phone to get an idea of its radiation output, I would say: check your WiFi to see that it's on 802.11ac, if possible. There are two WiFi antennas in this phone; one that does WiFi only, and one that can do either WiFi or Bluetooth. If you are using 2.4GHz 802.11b/n and the phone decides to pick the WiFi/Bluetooth antenna, the SAR goes way, way up; still not all that high, at about 0.65, but far higher than most other modes for this phones, indicating among other things that it might be using more power. So I'd just see if pre-empting this by using any WiFi mode other than 2.4GHz b/n helps, with 5GHz ac looking like the best.

tartrate

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
After a 17 hour shift my phone had 80% battery left with standard use. My old phone would have been crying digital tears by then.

It's nice knowing that my battery will last me through the entire day without having to worry about toggling airplane mode/power saving options/sneaking in sessions with my portable battery charger. And in between use all I need is a few minutes of charging with the fast charger and my phone is up and running again with plenty of juice.

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone I noticed the battery on the note 4 was dropping quickly right after a full charge, which was disheartening.

What I noticed tho was the note4 would still last me a full day with at least 20% of juice left. Which is about where my iPhone would be as well.

I'm not disasstified with the battery life, although I was anticipating at least 2 days of good use.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I will say if you use your device for mostly phone, text, and email the battery life is great. However if you play games, watch movies etc the battery might last a day to day and a half. This could be improved but we might nor see it until Android 5.0.

new2thisyeah

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not using a battery app, just go to settings and click "Battery"

Apps that I have installed and use the most frequently:

AeroFS
Evernote: Set sync to 1 week
Handecent SMS
SolCalendar (cant seem to find a sync frequency setting)
Photos
Camera
Yahoo Weather
Instagram
Facebook (just changed last night the fetch frequency from 1 hour to never)
Snapchat
Play Store (turned off automatic update / download)
CloudMagic with 3 linked emails
Gmail with 2 linked emails
Dual Clock Widget
PowerAMP
Swiftkey
Nova Launcher with Belle UI Icon Pack

Apps I have installed but don't get much use:
FB messenger
Chase
Smart Remote
Amazon
Save My Snaps
Uber
Google Authenticator (annoying I feel like it runs 24/7 generating new codes, no way to change it?)
Ring Central (have all the settings turned off)
HipChat

And then Everything else is just the stock . bloatware stuff from samsung / google / verizon....all of the verizon apps I have forced stop and the bloatware like the NFL app

I primarily just use chrome, gmail, messages, swiftkey, a couple of productivity apps, and tinker around a little bit with the s pen. I also talk about 20-40 minutes a week. That's how I got 40+ hours of battery life. You use a lot more apps than I do. So moderate use with just a few apps.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Unless the battery is not graduating accurately, there is no way to stay at 100% with any use. Especially after an hour as described. Think about it;)

I am not having the battery drain some articulate here and getting very good battery life and fits the reviews that also state good battery life.

Return the device rather than perpetually dwelling on it.

I find the title for this thread a tad disingenuous.

Mantasjv

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey I also have this problem with battery life, i left my phone off charge at 100% battery life and woke up to check how much battery was used while screen was off the whole time approx.12am-8am, it lost 25%, then by the end of the day 8pm still no charge its on 34% phone usage on day was medium 50km of gps usage, msg and few other things.
I can definitely tell the battery is not as good, as my previous phone HTC one.
I am wondering if you can purchase a better battery that would fit in there will do some research on this.
Great phone still love it but battery needs a revamp or waiting to hear more on new update.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I really like the ShutApp app someone here suggested. It's easy and shuts down apps that stay running. Tells you how much battery & data your saving.

Posted via the Android Central App

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Saying the battery isn't good means you don't understand what's going on with the device. That just isn't true. In 7 hours last night off charge mine used 4 points. What do you even mean by"50km" of GPS usage?

Hey I also have this problem with battery life, i left my phone off charge at 100% battery life and woke up to check how much battery was used while screen was off the whole time approx.12am-8am, it lost 25%, then by the end of the day 8pm still no charge its on 34% phone usage on day was medium 50km of gps usage, msg and few other things.
I am wondering if you can purchase a better battery that would fit in there will do some research on this.
Great phone still love it but battery needs a revamp or waiting to hear more on new update.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
my Phone has now been on my USB 3.0 in my computer, almost have not touched on the screen. 49% battery and it's been plugged in since 9:06 and it is now 10:30....that is not normal from 41% to 49% in that long.

I would only use the USB port on my computer to charge my phone if there was no wall outlet available. The Adaptive Quick Charger completely charged my phone just now from 42% to 100% in about 35 minutes. The USB 3.0 in your computer only enabled faster loading, not faster charger. The Note 4 doesn't have a 3.0.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

My phone has been off charger since 0630 EST, it is now 0930 EST. 25 mile commute, WiFi on, BT on, Streaming Radio app on for the morning routine and commute, GPS nav on for the commute, screen time approx 30 minutes in all of that...battery is at 85%. On my last Galaxy device, that same routine normally had the battery down to 65% by this time--and that was with toggling WiFi and BT off after use. With the Note 4, I've been leaving them on most of the time.

It's not the phone or the battery in most cases with this phone. In most cases it is the way the user has the phone set up.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can only speak for myself, but I use my phone constantly during the day for everything, from browsing to photos. I'm extremely happy with the battery life. I don't leave my phone plugged in overnight. I plug it in when I'm getting ready in the morning. And it's totally charged when I'm ready to go. I have never run out of power, except when I purposely ran the battery down to about 2% a couple of times to see how long it would take for a complete charge.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I really do like the phone, but this can't be normal. Now please note on this screenshot today was the first time I have used the Here app for more than maybe 10 minutes, I had it on for about 1 hour 30 minutes, it's not using data the map has been downloaded for offline use.

Edit* I have also disabled most of the verizon bloatware that has come on the device, and I am constantly closing all open running apps, so it's not like 20 apps are running at a time, usually just 1-2.

View attachment 145489
View attachment 145490
That's not reflective of the battery life I'm getting.

4f108613176fbb2dc609df063097d8a7.jpg

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415719054489.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415719054489.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 28

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance