email help for Note 4

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Verizon tech support is not active at this hour. So I thought I would try to see if there is any help here from you Android veterans.

I have just come off of iPhones for the last seven years. I guess in general the only thing I find difficult with the android base is that it is staggering for its lack of intuitiveness.

After initial set up, I was having difficulty getting the N4 to automatically sync for emails from my Comcast account. I could manually call up emails but no matter what I tried to do in setup I could not get it to automatically sync. It does not help that the shortest time spacing you can pick for automatic sync is 15 minutes as you have to wait 15 minutes just to see if the last changes you made actually did anything.

Tonight out of frustration I called VzW tech support and together we set up my comcast account anew from scratch. It looked like that was going to work and they were shutting down tech support for the night. But here it is 12.29 in the morning. The last time my email on the N4 was updated was at 11:58 and I already have one new email in my inbox that I can view on my computer that is time stamped at 12:08 and another time stamped at 12.24. Nothing on my N4.

It also does not help that this device does not tell you what you have selected to turn on. When I look at Email Account settings. Sync is defined as "off". I can tap it to manually sync but then it goes back to showing me that sync is off. When I look a screen deeper into Account Sync settings it shows a check box where your choices "Master Sync is Off" and if you un-select that your only other option is "Sync is Off". One or the other. Nothing ever tells you that you have turned something ON!!!!

VzW totally flummoxed could only completely set up my Comcast account from scratch because they could not tell what was on or not on either.

What settings should be selected to get this thing to sync automatically on a the schedule?

In the name of all that is holy how can I get this thing to sync automatically on the 15 minute interval or even sync automatically on any schedule? It shows that the 15 minute interval has been selected. But nothing seems to happen unless I manually force emails in. I have not chosen to add any peak schedule changes for the interval.

Is this all about my misunderstanding for how Android does business. In other words, I can swipe up which to me seems like manually syncing and new emails will be brought to my screen. But if in fact the N4 does check for new emails every 15 minutes or on the interval you select but does not display them to the screen or even as a different number of emails in your inbox...then what good is that. If I have to "manually" do anything to call up new emails from a practical perspective there is no difference to me than manually syncing. Very frustrating!!!

Last edited:

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Use the Samsung email application make sure push is on

Go to manage accounts on email application
Click on the account
Sync settibgs
Sync schedule
Click Push

Enjoy

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I came from iPhone as well and once you get up and running you will admire the ease and it just works out the box feel of the iPhone but you will feel be free to imagine your phone to be made around you

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Verizon tech support is not active at this hour. So I thought I would try to see if there is any help here from you Android veterans.

I have just come off of iPhones for the last seven years. I guess in general the only thing I find difficult with the android base is that it is staggering for its lack of intuitiveness.

After initial set up, I was having difficulty getting the N4 to automatically sync for emails from my Comcast account. I could manually call up emails but no matter what I tried to do in setup I could not get it to automatically sync. It does not help that the shortest time spacing you can pick for automatic sync is 15 minutes as you have to wait 15 minutes just to see if the last changes you made actually did anything.

Tonight out of frustration I called VzW tech support and together we set up my comcast account anew from scratch. It looked like that was going to work and they were shutting down tech support for the night. But here it is 12.29 in the morning. The last time my email on the N4 was updated was at 11:58 and I already have one new email in my inbox that I can view on my computer that is time stamped at 12:08 and another time stamped at 12.24. Nothing on my N4.

It also does not help that this device does not tell you what you have selected to turn on. When I look at Email Account settings. Sync is defined as "off". I can tap it to manually sync but then it goes back to showing me that sync is off. When I look a screen deeper into Account Sync settings it shows a check box where your choices "Master Sync is Off" and if you un-select that your only other option is "Sync is Off". One or the other. Nothing ever tells you that you have turned something ON!!!!

VzW totally flummoxed could only completely set up my Comcast account from scratch because they could not tell what was on or not on either.

What settings should be selected to get this thing to sync automatically on a the schedule?

In the name of all that is holy how can I get this thing to sync automatically on the 15 minute interval or even sync automatically on any schedule? It shows that the 15 minute interval has been selected. But nothing seems to happen unless I manually force emails in. I have not chosen to add any peak schedule changes for the interval.

Is this all about my misunderstanding for how Android does business. In other words, I can swipe up which to me seems like manually calling up new emails will be brought to my screen. But if in fact the N4 does check for new emails every 15 minutes or on the interval you select but does not display them to the screen or even as a different number of emails in your inbox...then what good is that. If I have to "manually" do anything to call up new emails from a practical perspective there is no difference to me than manually syncing. Very frustrating!!!
I posted instructions very simple and it works great

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
When you get all the way down to the sync schedule settings as you suggest there is no "push" option there.

There is in the following 3 options in this order:
Set sync schedule

While roaming

Peak schedule setting

Thats it...nothing more to choose! There is no push option when you go into any of those three options either.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I did just check again and it shows that it was updated at 12:56......58 minutes after the last update. Is it possible that it is syncing automatically but will not allow you to select 15 minutes regardless of the fact that 15 minutes is the factory default? 15 minutes is what was there when I got it....15 minutes is what I selected when I thought it best to actually go ahead and select it as a means of telling the N4 that factory default or not...that is what I wanted. Again...not at all intuitive and very frustrating for an Android newbie.

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
When you get all the way down to the sync schedule settings as you suggest there is no "push" option there.

There is in the following 3 options in this order:
Set sync schedule

While roaming

Peak schedule setting

Thats it...nothing more to choose! There is no push option when you go into any of those three options either.
Click set sync schedule
Then push

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
My Sync Schedule pull down menu is a Set Sync Schedule pull down that offers the following options:
Manual
Every 15 minutes
Every 30 minutes
Every hour
Every 2 hours

or finally....the option to cancel which is in black text in a blue field. Those are the only options I have. Again no push option there either. Choosing to fill the Manual button in green also does not take you to an additional drop down where you might actually select between Manual and Automatic. If you choose Manual the drop down closes and "Manual" populates Sync Schedule field in the previous screen. If you chose one of the time options, once you have chosen, the drop down also closes and the choice you have made populates Set Sync Schedule field.

So is there some drop down menu that I am missing somehow.

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
My Sync Schedule pull down menu is a Set Sync Schedule pull down that offers the following options:
Manual
Every 15 minutes
Every 30 minutes
Every hour
Every 2 hours

or finally....the option to cancel which is in black text in a blue field. Those are the only options I have. Again no push option there either. Choosing to fill the Manual button in green also does not take you to an additional drop down where you might actually select between Manual and Automatic. If you choose Manual the drop down closes and "Manual" populates Sync Schedule field in the previous screen. If you chose one of the time options, once you have chosen, the drop down also closes and the choice you have made populates Set Sync Schedule field.

So is there some drop down menu that I am missing somehow.
Scroll all the way to the top
f11c6fb824a2e88e78548eed9497caf8.jpg

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Are any of you folks attempting to help me also VzW customers (and I do appreciate it.....hard time keeping my frustration in check)?

I am beginning to wonder if this is another "feature" brought to us by our friends at Verizon or missed in the firmware load for the VzW variant.

When talking to VzW tech support, not once was the "push" option mentioned as she went through the various email set up screens in Manage Accounts. Obviously all of the tech support people are working from prepared Support text that they are accessing based on the issue they are trying to help you resolve. I have got to believe that if she saw it there, she would have done the same thing you guys are doing....prompting me to get to that drop down manual and select "push". As I say...she did not even mention it.....not even a thought of it.

So are any of you guys VzW customers like me?

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So my screen looks just like that DJ. The only dif is that my drop down does not include an Automatic (push) option to choose. I can choose manual or the various time intervals that I mentioned in my previous post but no Automatic (push) option.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The server type shown is POP3 and mail.comcast.net is what populates that field. Although I do not think I configured it. I think the device captured it upon initial set up when it went out to capture information from Comcast as my email provider.

Come to think of it, when the VzW tech support gal decided we should completely re-install my comcast account, we never had to manually configure server type that time either. The device went out and captured POP3 and the information to populate that field automatically.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The more I think about it, unless one of you guys trying to help me tells me you are also a VzW customer, the more I think this is a miss in the VzW variant firmware. I have had VzW as my wireless carrier only forever and I have had Comcast as my email server only forever. They have worked seamlessly and without flaw throughout my iPhone experience and I can't believe that the device per-say has anything to do with it.

Plus as I mentioned above VzW Tech Support made no mention of the Automatic (push) option you guys are prompting me to throughout that entire tech support call not more than a few hours ago.

There is a notation in the N4 "User Guide" that talks about "refresh" for any account...the ability to go in and "refresh" the application. But I do not know the context for the use of the term "refresh" in this case. I can't believe you would have to refresh to have the application accept changes that you have made...for example Manual to a time interval like 15 minutes. That makes no sense especially if you are not being prompted to refresh after making changes.

beavo451

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
POP3 does not support push email. So, not a Verizon problem and not a Note 4 problem.

Go see if Comcast has a Web page with either IMAP settings or (if they support it) Exchange settings.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well if there is one thing interesting about that solution it is that I never had to download Comcast's xfinity Connect application to get push services to my iPhone. I would have known if I had to download a specific app. Plus this application has a very specific look and feel. At any rate, it appears that it does support push services although I have no idea on what schedule. xfinity Connect appears as an application only, not as an email option. So I must at this point go into applications and click on the Infinity Connect Icon. When I go to Accounts and Manage Accounts, this application or "Account" does not appear...only the standard comcast.net account appears. I have no idea if Infinity Connect is operating from the choices I made in the original comcast.net email app or if it is operating from a set of options of its own choosing that I can neither see nor modify. The choices a user can make are limited which makes me think it is likely pulling the options from the comcast.net account.

I wonder if I got ride of the comcast.net account if the Infinity Connect account would slide into its place as the default or if the whole thing would disappear because I got ride of the account that xfinity Connect is using to pull in its schedule and other options.

I get the feeling that so much of this is part of the competitive landscape...has nothing to do with what we want or what we need and has everything to do with competing companies making it hard to use one product vs another to chose one product vs another etc etc. We used to think getting hacked was our biggest headache. Now it is somehow surviving these marketing assaults with your sanity intact.

Anyway, to say that xfinity Connect is buggy would be an understatement. If you batch delete regardless of not choosing to "load more emails" it will load more emails up to 50 regardless of whether you have chosen a lesser number or not. If you delete individual emails it appears that it will not load more emails unless you ask the program to do so. That is just for starters after about 30 minutes with it. No telling how many bugs are actually in this thing.

Last edited:

beavo451

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Comcast only supports POP3 apparently for some insane reason. Check that all server and port settings match the values that Comcast gives. If all else fails, try another email client like Aquamail, Bluemail, or K9.

Push email does not have a set schedule. It "pushes" everything immediately.

Best thing is actually to switch to another email like Gmail or something.

Oh and all the ranting makes your posts difficult to read and harder to give accurate advice. Also, just because your email service is way behind the tines and only uses an archaic protocol does not make your device have a "lack of intuitiveness".