Gap in back cover near S-Pen

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Are any of you able to insert a fingernail between the back cover and the phone near where the S-Pen slot is? I know it's a petty thing to post about, but my worry is that the gap might widen over time.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It actually is all the way down, but there's still a microscopic gap where I can insert a fingernail in that area.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I can't. I mean, right where it 'bends' I guess I could, but I'd have to try really hard. Are you sure the cover is properly inserted?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To my knowledge it is. Is there a correct way to put the back cover on so there are no gaps?

The edge along the bottom can be tough to get snapped all the way down. Pull the cover off and snap along the bottom first. That's worked better for me. Maybe yours isn't snapped well along that edge.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just pressing down on it should be enough, really... Maybe a close up picture of the gap you're seeing to compare to ours?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would have to see a picture of what you mean to judge properly -- There is a tiny gap between the back cover and the S-Pen but that is normal so it can be removed.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not able to take pictures at the moment, but I'll be sure to upload one when I can later today. Stay tuned for that.

For what it's worth, there is a creaking/clicking sound when I press down on the back cover right under the speaker bump where the S-Pen is on the bottom of the phone; that's the area where the gap is. Is all of this really normal?

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Here's the picture of the gap. This is with the back cover fully snapped in place. Are both problems normal or defects?

Attachments

• 20141103_165244-1[1].jpg
    20141103_165244-1[1].jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 38

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it doesn't look like it's snapped on fully. As you can see of the left it's fully snapped in but as it goes to the right you can see the gap. Push down hard near the pen (where your circle is on the back).

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried to removing the cover and replacing it again, as already been said, try starting with the bottom first.

Posted via the Android Central App

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have tried that a few times and actually made an interesting discovery: there is no noticeable gap at the bottom until I snap the top of the back cover. Do any of you have the same thing happening as the photo? I'd like to know if it's normal or not.

By the way, the phone itself is fine in terms of functionality. But I'm concerned about this problem because the gap may widen over time and become distracting or cause other problems later on.

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like there may be an issue with yours then as mine has a gap when i put the back on the phone but i would say it is a bigger gap than you have and this is due to the last clip being quite hard to pop into place,seems like they all do this as my Mrs has a note 4 and hers is the same.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I had this exact problem with mine. The gap is enough for debris to get in. I could even slide in a business card almost halfway in.

What others have said fixed it for me. Take off the back cover and reapply it from the bottom first. Make sure to press down firmly in each spot.

I took it back to the store and they were baffled at first too but then figured it out. If that doesn't work for you, take yours back to the store. Don't live with it like that - you'll get debris into the battery compartment.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I had this exact problem with mine. The gap is enough for debris to get in. I could even slide in a business card almost halfway in.

What others have said fixed it for me. Take off the back cover and reapply it from the bottom first. Make sure to press down firmly in each spot.

I took it back to the store and they were baffled at first too but then figured it out. If that doesn't work for you, take yours back to the store. Don't live with it like that - you'll get debris into the battery compartment.

I got pretty concerned about this problem, so I took it to the store where I got it. The clerk took a look at my phone's back cover and popped it in a new phone, and indeed there was a gap at the same place too. Sticking the back cover of the new phone onto mine, there was NO gap at all. The clerk let me keep the new cover. :D

When I removed the new back cover and inspected it, I noticed that there were two clips on the bottom of the cover to latch onto the bottom of the phone instead of just one. The one I had had the bottom left clip missing. Clearly that must have caused this problem and was a manufacturing defect. Which concerns me that there might be other phones with this exact same problem (and there really must be, based on what you said above).

A side note: this new cover doesn't provide as much of a satisfying snap as the old one did, although trying to remove it proves it to have been a snug fit. That leads me to a pretty stupid question that should be bleedingly obvious: Are all Note 4 covers made to fit in any Note 4? :p

Anyway, I am once again a happy owner of a Galaxy Note 4. If I have any advice to give to any of you out there are looking to purchase a Note 4, it would be these two (and I'll post this with many more details on a new thread for anyone to read):

1. PLEASE make sure to visually inspect ALL PARTS of the phone BEFORE leaving the store.

2. Also run some tests of the phone's sensors and radios, again BEFORE leaving the store. A helpful dialer code to help with that: *#0*#. That'll help you detect any dead pixels, non-working speakers or sensors, and anything else in the phone that could be defective. To test the phone's radios, just run a speed test of a Wi-Fi or 4G connection at testmy.net.

Last edited: