Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
GPS: Have stand alone GPS.
Music: Computer.
RetailMeornot: Computer.

That is a horrible mentality. Blow money on something just to be with the in crowd, then end up not being able to afford the phone like many of you guys.

I'm cheap with stuff I don't really need, I'll admit that, but the average person does not need this phone as the majority use it as a tablet and not a phone.

A good GPS costs more than this phone did with the $200 offer. Plus the costs of updating maps on it on a regular basis...

Isn't it kind of difficult walking around with a computer listening to music on the go? I'd find it really hard to carry that computer and listen to music on a bike/motorcycle for instance.

So you carry your computer to the store to pull up RetailmeNot? Or maybe you just remember to print off coupons before you leave for shopping. Me being a guy I don't remember to do this or even to think about looking for coupons until I'm at the register, then like magic, I pull this awesome piece of technology from my pocket and pull up an app and instantaneously I save money... It's a wonderful thing that doesn't require lugging around a computer.

Fantastic that you find it easier to buy a bunch of separate items to do what this one thing will do.

This is probably pretty good information for people considering purchasing a Note 4. They can actually see all the different things they can do with the device and how it will actually make other items (GPS, computer, tablet, television...) unnecessary or less necessary.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
OP, I completely understand that you decided the Note 4 didn't suit your lifestyle or your needs. I completely respect that.

However, I think it is wrong of you to then project your own personal values onto everyone else and criticize them for not sharing your same view.

I used to feel the same way you did about my phone. And there are certainly times where it is much more efficient to have a full size keyboard and mouse.

But as these devices have gotten better, and as they've become more complex in their ability to integrate with other devices, I have found myself using my phone more and more and my other devices less and less.

I have a PC at work, a laptop for mobile working, and a personal laptop at home. When I am out of the office working with customers, though, I am thoroughly enjoying the efficiency I have gained by using my Note 4 with One Note instead of my trusty Moleskine notebook. As automated as our world has become, it is still very inefficient and often times rude, to whip out a laptop in front of a customer and start pecking away at a keyboard to jot down some critical notes. A notebook and pen, whether it is paper and a G2 or electronic and an S-Pen, are completely different.

I can also demonstrate many of our product lines to the customer with my phone. A lot of our products offer cloud based integration, which often means "I can see it on my smartphone even when I'm not at work" to the boss. When I show them how easy it is to use, simply by pulling out my phone, their interest is enhanced. As "long ago" as 1 or 2 years ago, a demo like that often required several hard cases worth of equipment and 20-30 minutes of setup time.

Using my Note 4 as a note taker allows me to incorporate pictures into my notes for later reference when quoting or updating our customer database. But I no longer have to transfer those notes from my Moleskine to our system. They're already there by the time I get back to the office.

I don't own a tablet. A tablet wouldn't be nearly as efficient for me at work. Smartphones, however, have successively gotten more and more useful for people in jobs like mine.

I don't begrudge anyone who sees no need for them. But I don't try to force my opinion on them, either.

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't forsee changing carriers in the next two years - I've been with the same one for quite a while now. So, I just upgraded on contract. With Samsung's rebate and Best Buy's gift card reservation (not the preorder you pay for - the $50 back you can register for each year) and coupon, it was $30 out of pocket, after tax. They won't charge any less than our current plan without an upgrade or on the pay over time type plans, so there seems to be little reason not to use the upgrades. Most phones cost more than this one after Samsung's rebate, even if you were using one of the other payment types, and didn't use any additional price match, coupon, or the Best Buy offer. I don't really get were all the talk of this being a huge money splurge is coming from. This is the cheapest I've seen a brand new phone in quite a while. Even a kindle costs more than this.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note 2 so the size of the Note 4 doesn't bother me at all nor has anyone commented on me talking on it since the Note 2 came out (2+ years ago). I have no problem holding it or using it.

I don't want to pay for ANOTHER contract for a tablet from a carrier. My tablet is wi-fi only and it was only $150. I find I use my phone more than the tablet unless I'm traveling and have downloaded movies.

To each his own.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
GPS: Have stand alone GPS.
Music: Computer.
RetailMeornot: Computer.

That is a horrible mentality. Blow money on something just to be with the in crowd, then end up not being able to afford the phone like many of you guys.

I'm cheap with stuff I don't really need, I'll admit that, but the average person does not need this phone as the majority use it as a tablet and not a phone.

To each their own, but this goes against most of what the modern smartphone tries to accomplish by consolidating all of these items into one convergent device.

Not many people buy standalone GPS units anymore. I have nav built into my truck but it is not near as accurate or updated as often and google maps. I have a computer, but my computer does not go with me everywhere I go nor do I go into my office at home and turn it on more than a couple times a month. Ironically, I do have a tablet, however, I have "given" it to my children for them to use as a media consumption and learning device. I always found that while sitting on my couch, laying in bed, or even on the go and doing productive like things for work I use my Note (or whatever smartphone I'm carrying at the time) over a tablet. 5"-6" is a happy medium between a smartphone and a full fledged tablet and the Note 4, any other flagship android device, and even the iPhone 6 plus tick all the boxes of a standalone gps, tablet, and in most cases a laptop although it is silly to think we can completely cast aside a full fledged computing device (right now at least). Like I said, to each their own, but I see it as wasteful spending to have each one of these devices when a modern flagship smartphone can accomplish what most single purpose electronics can while having a built in phone and decent enough camera.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess some folks overlooked this post so here it is again ,quoted for y'all.

Role clarification: You guys aren't sharks and this guy isn't food.

Lots of familiar faces, so here we go again....

Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Last edited:

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The phone isn't too big for making calls I do it just fine.

Even though I asked myself the same question as the OP, I found there are many reasons to own a phablet over a tablet and people here already touched on them. GPS, having only one device for everything, LTE wherever you go, a stylus, fits in your pocket.. just to name a few.

The GPS can be used for walking and biking too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084