decided to return note 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davi L

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't justify spending that amount of money when I have computers wherever I go. I really only need a phone for using it as a phone in emergency type situations. This phone would essentially just be throwing away money, which it is for most people who have these type of phones, but I'm not going to criticize others for wasting money on what they want to waste it on.

One other major reason is the phone, coupled with the case made it feel like I was holding a brick whenever I talked on the phone. This phone is too big for making phone calls.

Again though, I realize the majority of you who bought this don't use it as a phone, but as a table instead, which makes me wonder why you didn't just buy a tablet?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey gotta get what works for you. I personally don't have an issue holding it for phone calls but I know some people definitely couldn't stand it.

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually i use mine as a phone, but i do agree that it's really too large to walk around holding to your ear. So I have a Bluetooth that i use most of the time i use the phone to talk to folks. I use it for what its designed to be - a phablet with a stylus.

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Alright well I'm still rocking the Note II (Will get a Note 4 sometime this winter), but I'm gonna answer the "why not get a tablet instead" part.

I have a Sony Xperia Tab Z. I'm not going to carry around a 10 inch tablet all day. My Note fits in my pockets, my tablet doesn't. Smaller tablets (7 and 8 inch) generally are mid range specs and don't fit in pockets, let alone do they get a cell signal to allow texting and the occasional phone call (I do not talk on the phone for extended periods of time, so the size of the Note doesn't really bother me). A tablet is a tablet, a Note is a phone first and foremost. It just happens to blend some great functionality of a tablet in with it, along with a little flair of its own.

Tablets are great for media consumption when you are sitting around, but the Note series gives you the portability needed to comfortably use it all day when running around. Yeah, it's kinda big. Yeah, people always feel the need to point out how large it is. No, it doesn't feel large at all after you use it for 2 years like I have now. No, I would never go back to any screen smaller than 5 inches (S5 is as low as I'd go) after using a Note for 2 years; everything else (especially the 3.5in iPhones) feels like a toy.

damule6666

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I have man sized hands, I don't have a problem holding the phone. My wife (doesn't have man hands) loves hers as well.. Thanks for the cool story tho.

Last week I returned a pack of socks, they were too short for me. But probably not too short for others. But I don't see how anyone could wear socks that low. But I don't fault people for spending their money on socks that they like.. I think I'll go post that story on the Hanes website... Wow..

Carved in place by my Note 4.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually did some research before I bought it so I haven't had any problems. Don't come on here criticizing everyone who owns the Note 4 just because you didn't understand what it was.

It's not a waste of money anymore than anyone else's hobbies. By your logic, you don't need any cell phone because even a basic phone is a luxury.

It's also not too hard to make calls. I've done it dozens of times successfully and have yet to fail. Sorry to hear of your struggles.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
To each their own. I actually like the size of the phone when making a call. I really don't think it's a waste of money especially if it's useful and you get a good discount.

Posted via the Android Central App

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Just to clarify I think most people will use this as their carry phone and their carry pocket-able tablet. It is a phablet and IMO people are getting it because they want a phablet, not a tablet. It is a mistake to project your own feelings about something onto others in such a generalized manner. You will more often than not be wrong because you are you and everybody else is everybody else. But as I said, I think most folks will use it as a phone and a tablet more than likely using BT when using it as a phone. That is for the most part what I am doing and/or using the speakerphone when not BT connected.

CatLady2010

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Note 4 on the spur of the moment. My iPhone 5c had just been stolen and I needed a phone. I was eligible for an upgrade so asked about the cameras on the current phones. I was told that this phone currently has the best camera, even better than the iPhone 6 plus. The camera was my top consideration. I rarely use a smartphone as a phone. I text, Facebook, and surf the Web endlessly. While I have not had time to play with the camera much (I haven't had the phone 2 full days yet), I've been pleased with what I have been able to do with the phone. Oh, and one drawback was I didn't think this phone would fit in my pocket, but it does. I'm not one to keep a phone in my back pocket while sitting, but it's a convenient way to carry it around.

Davi L

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
No Iphone, android fan either way. To answer some questions.

1. I can afford the phone, just don't like wasting money on stuff I don't need. Fell into the hype of the phone and the craze of everyone having a smartphone. Seems like a lot of babies around here, even though I said your free to blow your money however you want to, I don't care.

2. Name 3 things you can do on your smartphone that you can't do on a computer. I have a high end laptop at home, 2 computers at work. Why would I use this phone with a smaller screen over either one of those?

3. The only time I would use this is when I'm mobile and need to find something, which is rare. I couldn't imagine myself walking down the street like a bot with my head permanently stared down looking at the screen.

Maybe you guys don't have computers at work and at home, and need the phone as your computer. Maybe you just want to blow money on something. Hell, I blow money on things, no problems with that. The smartphone though has nothing better then my work and home computers have outside of the camera, which I could care less about.

Why I say the tablet is better is because the majority of people who use this phone will use it like a computer instead of using it as a phone. You can get a 10.1 tab or an Ipad air for a lower price than this phone.

Common sense to go with the tablet over this.

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Davi,

How about to use as GPS? How about to use as a music player? How about to use for anything from reserving a table to saving money (since you're so worried about that!) by using RetailmeNot while shopping? Shall I go on? Seriously, with the $200 offer and the amount I saved shopping this weekend using RetailmeNot this phone is more than paid for.

Enjoy your savings and thanks for coming by to let everyone know you're cheap and figure out how to actually use today's technology to make life better and more fun.

Paul Chin

May 30, 2013
Visit site
2. Name 3 things you can do on your smartphone that you can't do on a computer. I have a high end laptop at home, 2 computers at work. Why would I use this phone with a smaller screen over either one of those?

Maybe you guys don't have computers at work and at home, and need the phone as your computer. Maybe you just want to blow money on something. Hell, I blow money on things, no problems with that. The smartphone though has nothing better then my work and home computers have outside of the camera, which I could care less about.

Why I say the tablet is better is because the majority of people who use this phone will use it like a computer instead of using it as a phone. You can get a 10.1 tab or an Ipad air for a lower price than this phone. Common sense to go with the tablet over this.

Let me humor you a bit mate:

Name 3 things you can do on your smartphone that you can't do on a computer. Let's see...I'm inside the toilet answering nature call & making a call at the same time (Try that with your PC). I'm queuing in the cinema line & check my email instantly (try that with your PC). I simply put my phone inside my pocket while doing shopping & pull out in a split second to make a phone call (try that with your PC). The list can go on & on...(yawn...zzz).

I have laptop, I have Tablet & I have smartphone. Each device has its own function depending on the situation. Looks like some folks are indeed lack of common sense. Are you actually against Smartphone or Phablet? :)

GunmetalR56

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think you nailed it. You either let the size bother you or your don't. For me, the convenience of the device outweighs any minor inconvenience and it's just faster for me to pull out my Note (2, 3 or 4) and look something up than it is to pull out my tablet from my laptop bag, boot it up and then look something up (and I don't have to pay for another data plan or toggle a hotspot). To each their own..

Davi L

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Davi,

How about to use as GPS? How about to use as a music player? How about to use for anything from reserving a table to saving money (since you're so worried about that!) by using RetailmeNot while shopping? Shall I go on? Seriously, with the $200 offer and the amount I saved shopping this weekend using RetailmeNot this phone is more than paid for.

Enjoy your savings and thanks for coming by to let everyone know you're cheap and figure out how to actually use today's technology to make life better and more fun.

GPS: Have stand alone GPS.
Music: Computer.
RetailMeornot: Computer.

That is a horrible mentality. Blow money on something just to be with the in crowd, then end up not being able to afford the phone like many of you guys.

I'm cheap with stuff I don't really need, I'll admit that, but the average person does not need this phone as the majority use it as a tablet and not a phone.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

1- Make phone calls

2- Put it in a car mount and have navigation on road trips

3- Take a photo of something in another language and have Google Translate put it into English for me

4- Put it in my pocket and leave the house

5- Turn on the flashlight and go into my crawlspace to get holiday decoration boxes out for my wife

6- Take photos of my children playing outside

7- Record video of my children playing outside

8- photograph family vacations/sporting events/etc...

9- Take handwritten notes in school/work meetings/church

10- voice record interviews/meetings/class lectures with the multitude of mics on this device

11- Put it in my pocket when I exercise to use as a pedometer

12- check my heart rate

I think i'll stop there. You get the idea.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Role clarification: You guys aren't sharks and this guy isn't food.

Lots of familiar faces, so here we go again....

Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Skye Hui

May 7, 2014
Visit site
When u r shopping do u take out your laptop n check emails? Google for the shop for the location? Finding a restaurant n reserving a seat for dinner at a restaurant?

I dare u to do this with your laptop when u r outside n while I use my phone to do it, we shall see who's faster...

U tell me u can Skype on the go when u r outside? Yeah u can tell me find a coffee joint, sit down n do it. What if u can't find it? What if the video conference is last min n urgent? R u going to wait for your laptop to boot up, internet to connect then u can start the video conferencing?

Abv users have already stated what a smartphone or note can do that a laptop/desktop CANNOT do...

If u r that rich, go buy a lambo or a Ferrari, n use your high ended latop as GPS....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Fishfam4

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
1. I can afford the phone, just don't like wasting money on stuff I don't need. Fell into the hype of the phone and the craze of everyone having a smartphone. Seems like a lot of babies around here, even though I said your free to blow your money however you want to, I don't care.

The point people here are trying to make is that what's a waste of money to you is a great, necessary device to others. I don't have a Note 4, (I plan to upgrade my iPhone 4 to either a Note 4 or a OnePlus One) but I wouldn't be able to have the high grades I do if I weren't able to take notes in Evernote at co-op (homeschooled), email my homework in to my teachers via email or take pictures of biology labs for later use. Imagine if I had to lug my old iPad 3 to co-op every week, and even then I'd be out of luck because Evernote requires Wi-Fi to sync with its servers, email requires Wi-Fi and the camera is horrible. I'd also be less aware of current events, as I use my phone to read Flipboard on the go.

2. Name 3 things you can do on your smartphone that you can't do on a computer.

1- take notes on the go (essential for education and thus the rest of my entire life depends on it)
2- email teachers homework (essential for education and thus the rest of my entire life depends on it)
3- take pictures of my biology labs for later use (essential for education and thus the rest of my entire life depends on it)
4- Do anything that requires an internet connection on the go
5- fit in my pocket
Other people have already answered this some more.

I have a high end laptop at home, 2 computers at work. Why would I use this phone with a smaller screen over either one of those?

Because it's an extremely versatile and convenient device that allows you to have virtually any knowledge the entire human race has ever discovered or created in all of history at your fingertips instantaneously anywhere on earth.

3. The only time I would use this is when I'm mobile and need to find something, which is rare.

You mean you never, not once have ever wanted to know anything outside of your home or workplace?

I couldn't imagine myself walking down the street like a bot with my head permanently stared down looking at the screen.

Condescending much? When you're not doing anything else, there's no reason not to use your phone. If they really were "permanently" looking at the screen, they wouldn't have a job and thus a smartphone. ;)

Maybe you guys don't have computers at work and at home, and need the phone as your computer.

See my paragraph about unlimited knowledge at your fingertips above.

Hell, I blow money on things, no problems with that.

Then why not "blow" money on the greatest invention in human history?

The smartphone though has nothing better then my work and home computers have

See the above list and the lists of others.

outside of the camera, which I could care less about.

In the words of Weird Al, "That means you do care, at least a little."

(I watched that Weird Al song, Word Crimes, on my smartphone.)

Why I say the tablet is better is because the majority of people who use this phone will use it like a computer instead of using it as a phone. You can get a 10.1 tab or an Ipad air for a lower price than this phone.

1) Wow, how did you poll the 1-billion-odd smartphone users on how they use their phones? I'm impressed.
2) About the price, once you factor in the BB/Samsung $200 off discount, it's about the same price, but you get internet access anywhere in the world (unless you're on Sprint :p) and a small, pocketable supercomputer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol