I finally bought the Note 4. Real solid .... but unless the lighting is PERFECT the 6 Plus owns it....not really even close. Really disappointed. Will see what the next 14 days of taking pictures brings. Hope I can unlock some secrets to better "normal indoor" light pictures.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-03-2014 09:59 PM
    The low light settings on the N4 are much closer to a DSLR than any previous Samsung. So much so that the low light settings are difficult to manage initially.

In playing around with it for the last few days, I've gotten used to it more. It is definitely capable of some really nice low light pictures once you get the hang of it.

Downloading other shooting modes also helps. I guess Samsung figured the best way to get people to look at their app store was by forcing them to use it for some features.
    11-03-2014 10:22 PM
    I couldn't agree with you more. I got rid of my 6+ for the note 4, and although I'm satisfied with my decision. I knew goin into it that the camera wouldn't be as good as the lower spec 6+.

That being said...in low lighting areas, the note sucks. However, in well lit or flash-needed shots, the note 4 will take better pics.

I'm on my 8th day and I spent the last week, downloading different modes from the galaxy store, I even tried Google camera. Continue to find the best pic, through the camera settings and make it work for you, Goodluck.

11-03-2014 10:39 PM
    Been saying this for years, and still evident on note 4. Apples image processing is bar none.

I did notice that using the flash I situations you normally don't think you have to actually produces a thousand times better picture.

11-04-2014 12:10 AM
    I have always said Apple has a good camera on their phone.
    11-04-2014 12:27 AM
    There is a reson I phones images are different. It's not image processing.
    11-04-2014 12:28 AM
    Agreed also. Indoors my note 4 struggles. Outside it's unreal. What is best setting for indoor pics?

11-04-2014 04:03 AM
    From what I've seen on the net of videos posted of low light photos from the note and iPhone 6 that the iphone images look much darker,this would suggest the notes iso level adjust far more to let in more light but in the process it causes grainy images.

Has anyone messed around with the iso level in low light situations ?

11-04-2014 07:39 AM
    These two photos I got from a youtube video and you can clearly see how much darker the iphone image is.

The iphone image will look clearer but you won't see as much due to the lower iso,where the notes image will not be as clear but you get to see more of the scene.

So it seems it's could just be a case of adjusting the iso level on the note.

Attached Thumbnails Well I did it...but the camera..meh-screenshot_2014-11-04-12-47-16.jpg   Well I did it...but the camera..meh-screenshot_2014-11-04-12-47-24.jpg  
    11-04-2014 07:51 AM
    For me the low lights are clear enough (if there is no movement). It just seems all the low light shots have a slight gold / yellow hue to them (mostly affects indoor pics). If you look and you tube comparisons it is quite evident in most of them. I have tried using Snapseed to alleviate some of this hue issues, it has helped, but still not 6Plus quality. Maybe software update can help? Like I said the clarity really is not to bad in low light...just the yellow / gold / light brown hue....making me a bit nuts!!
    11-04-2014 07:55 AM
    These two photos I got from a youtube video and you can clearly see how much darker the iphone image is.

The iphone image will look clearer but you won't see as much due to the lower iso,where the notes image will not be as clear but you get to see more of the scene.

So it seems it's could just be a case of adjusting the iso level on the note.

the iphone camera is ***** proof. it's for typical apple users who know nothing of camera adjustment or any other adjustment with technology.

for a picture like this, if you don't want the colors to be blown out, you LONG PRESS the highest lit area, which adjusts the exposure to a lower value and will produce the EXACT same shot the iphone does, in that it looks darker.

samsung cameras have always been cameras that let you tinker with ISO/exposure to get a better shot. it's not a point and shoot ***** proof camera like an iphone, and for that i'm glad. i like having control over my shots. i adjust ISO all the time. i use that long press manual exposure lock all the time.
    skippyg likes this.
    11-04-2014 10:10 AM
    There is a reson I phones images are different. It's not image processing.
    And that is?

11-04-2014 10:35 AM
    the iphone camera is ***** proof. it's for typical apple users who know nothing of camera adjustment or any other adjustment with technology.

for a picture like this, if you don't want the colors to be blown out, you LONG PRESS the highest lit area, which adjusts the exposure to a lower value and will produce the EXACT same shot the iphone does, in that it looks darker.

samsung cameras have always been cameras that let you tinker with ISO/exposure to get a better shot. it's not a point and shoot ***** proof camera like an iphone, and for that i'm glad. i like having control over my shots. i adjust ISO all the time. i use that long press manual exposure lock all the time.
    You are correct and I totally forgot that you can hold down on the screen like you mentioned.

11-04-2014 11:03 AM
    I'm not trying to be an iHater right now, I think both ecosystems have their benefits and both have excellent places in the tech world.

But most people who "like" the iOS ecosystem and get frustrated with the Note or any other Android tend to get frustrated because it doesn't "just work, like my iPhone does." My wife loves her iPhone 4s. It is maddeningly slow to me, it only runs on 3G, it takes half a year to load anything, but she won't think about getting an Android. She loves the simplicity of the phone. "It just works, and I like it that way," is her oft repeated answer when I complain about it. But she never uses the camera on it, if she has a choice between her phone and my phone. I've successively owned several Galaxy devices in her i4s lifespan, and the cameras have always blown away hers. Even the i5s and i6s I've seen can't compare to the Samsung cameras--when the user knows how to work with it.

The cameras on these devices are even less "point and shoot" than any previous Galaxy device. The majority of users that I've seen having issues with it are people who continue to treat it like an iPointandshoot and can't understand why the results aren't satisfactory. I acknowledge that the i6 appears to have a great point and shoot camera on board. I have yet to work with one personally, but every side by side comparison I've seen, the camera has performed extremely well.

The more time I spend with my Note 4, the more I realize that this camera is pretty amazing. It's almost capable of shots my Canon DSLR is capable of taking. And there are probably some shots it is capable of that my Canon probably isn't.

Where I fault Samsung, to a certain degree, is their commercials make it look like the camera is as easy to use as point and shoot. I laugh at the bouncy house commercial every time I see it. Sure, you can get that shot, exactly like the commercial says, but you better know where to go in settings and set it up first.
    11-04-2014 11:15 AM
    Agreed also. Indoors my note 4 struggles. Outside it's unreal. What is best setting for indoor pics?

The best setting indoors is in a tripod and what you are shooting perfectly still. The camera simply requires more light-longer exposure- to get a premium picture result. Iphone has physically larger pixels wich means it will gather porportionally more light. Another option would be to buy a lens that will take the current lens from f2.2 to f1.0 then it would work much better indoors. I think the numbers on each are iphone=1.5 micron and the Note4=1.1 micron.
    11-04-2014 11:34 AM
    I'm not trying to be an iHater right now, I think both ecosystems have their benefits and both have excellent places in the tech world.

But most people who "like" the iOS ecosystem and get frustrated with the Note or any other Android tend to get frustrated because it doesn't "just work, like my iPhone does." My wife loves her iPhone 4s. It is maddeningly slow to me, it only runs on 3G, it takes half a year to load anything, but she won't think about getting an Android. She loves the simplicity of the phone. "It just works, and I like it that way," is her oft repeated answer when I complain about it. But she never uses the camera on it, if she has a choice between her phone and my phone. I've successively owned several Galaxy devices in her i4s lifespan, and the cameras have always blown away hers. Even the i5s and i6s I've seen can't compare to the Samsung cameras--when the user knows how to work with it.

The cameras on these devices are even less "point and shoot" than any previous Galaxy device. The majority of users that I've seen having issues with it are people who continue to treat it like an iPointandshoot and can't understand why the results aren't satisfactory. I acknowledge that the i6 appears to have a great point and shoot camera on board. I have yet to work with one personally, but every side by side comparison I've seen, the camera has performed extremely well.

The more time I spend with my Note 4, the more I realize that this camera is pretty amazing. It's almost capable of shots my Canon DSLR is capable of taking. And there are probably some shots it is capable of that my Canon probably isn't.

Where I fault Samsung, to a certain degree, is their commercials make it look like the camera is as easy to use as point and shoot. I laugh at the bouncy house commercial every time I see it. Sure, you can get that shot, exactly like the commercial says, but you better know where to go in settings and set it up first.
    I agree to a point with this. Two things though...One...in lowlight indoors there is a yellow hue to the photos....not on 6Plus...no matter the exposure points. Two... you mention "The cameras on these devices are even less "point and shoot" than any previous Galaxy device. " That is a problem right there. Samsung should have made it more point and shoot...not less. 6Plus now has the best simple point and shoot...and if you want manual controls they have added that ability as well. They adopted to both the quick point and shoot person....as well as the tweaker. Wish Samsung did the same.
    11-04-2014 12:04 PM
    My gawd, the way you guys are comparing differences between photos from the iPhone and Note, one would think you were discussing the merits of Nikon and Canon DLSR's. These are PHONES, you are discussing. Camera functions are merely a convenience. They aren't (either one) god's gift of photographic excellence to the masses. Buy the phone you like the most and realize that all camera phones will have noticeable issues, when compared to advanced point and shoots and good DSLR's.
    11-04-2014 12:14 PM
    My gawd, the way you guys are comparing differences between photos from the iPhone and Note, one would think you were discussing the merits of Nikon and Canon DLSR's. These are PHONES, you are discussing. Camera functions are merely a convenience. They aren't (either one) god's gift of photographic excellence to the masses. Buy the phone you like the most and realize that all camera phones will have noticeable issues, when compared to advanced point and shoots and good DSLR's.
    All very true......but were is the fun in that?
    11-04-2014 12:21 PM
    Well, my problem is that I am never happy with any phone's camera. I have a Note 2 which has an overly slow shutter speed and no IS. I tried out the Note 4, and found it a LITTLE better, but no great shakes. Therefore, I'd never make a decision about a phone based heavily on the quality of the camera unless it was so far below any other model I was considering that I'd see it as a step backwards (if that's possible, given how I despise the N2's camera). I can't get excited about any of the cameras. I don't go on vacation or do any serious photography with one; I only use it for the most casual of purposes, knowing it's not going to give me something I'd blow up and hang on the wall.

To me this discussion is sort of like comparing a McDonalds burger to one from Burger King, Wendy's, or Jack in the Box. They all suck, in the grand scheme of quality burgers.
    11-04-2014 12:32 PM
    Two thoughts. Firstly, the difference in the two phones is equivalent to the difference between a Nikon DSLR and a Kodak Brownie (that was an early film point and shoot camera for you youngsters). One can take great pictures but requires the user know something about photography and learns to utilize the full potential of the camera, the other requires that you activate the shutter and be satisfied with what you get.
    Secondly, in reading comments all over the internet about the quality of various phones compared to other various phones it is patently clear that 99.99% of the posters wouldn't know a technically good photo from a tootsie roll. Instead most folks equate bright saturated colors with good photography like a magpie loves shiny objects.
    1812dave likes this.
    11-04-2014 12:34 PM
    I agree to a point with this. Two things though...One...in lowlight indoors there is a yellow hue to the photos....not on 6Plus...no matter the exposure points. Two... you mention "The cameras on these devices are even less "point and shoot" than any previous Galaxy device. " That is a problem right there. Samsung should have made it more point and shoot...not less. 6Plus now has the best simple point and shoot...and if you want manual controls they have added that ability as well. They adopted to both the quick point and shoot person....as well as the tweaker. Wish Samsung did the same.
    I definitely agree with most of what you say. Samsung should have made "auto" mode a real "auto" mode. In low light, the flash goes off more often, for example, little things like that. The i6 camera is definitely an easier point and shoot device, from everything I can see. But the Note 4's camera has much better capabilities, once you take the time to figure them out. Even with the manual tweaks the i6 allows, it still has a lower ceiling of performance. Granted, the differences are minor in many people's eyes, but it is still there.
    11-04-2014 12:44 PM

Most people though usually want to just point and shoot.. Just the fact of life. Also it's hard to mess with settings with kids. So that can be a factor as well.
    LaTuFu likes this.
    11-04-2014 12:45 PM
    Most people though usually want to just point and shoot.. Just the fact of life. Also it's hard to mess with settings with kids. So that can be a factor as well.
    Completely agree. I don't think I communicated my point very clearly.

I really like the new capabilities of the camera in the note 4, but I do not like how complicated it is now to take a casual picture.

They should have kept in mind exactly what you said. Most people just want to take a decent picture without a lot of fuss.

Less time worrying about panoramic selfies, more time keeping it simple.
    1812dave and Bobbman like this.
    11-04-2014 12:56 PM