Dropped phone in water

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd share. Yesterday my son was playing in the sink and I went to get him away and he knocked my phone into a sink full of soapy dish water. I have a ballistic urbanite case on it for what is worth. Anyhow, it went straight to the bottom. I grabbed it out and began sucking the water out of the ports like I was giving it cpr, lol. I used a blow dryer and stuck it in a bowl of rice for a couple hours as well. Eventually the screen went black but I could still make calls using the "OK Google" feature. I ran to my computer to try to save the pictures before the phone went completely dead. I had about 5 gb worth the pictures on it so I fell asleep while they were transferring. This morning I woke up and the phone was completely dead. I did a battery pull and turned it back on hoping I could still make a phone call and amazingly the phone turned back on with everything working including the screen. Just wanted to share my story in case it happens to someone else to give it time to dry out before calling insurance.

Posted via my Auqua Man
T-mobile Note 4

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
That is one of the nice things about having a removable battery. If it gets wet, pull the battery ASAP. Dry out the phone. Put back the battery.
If you can't remove the battery, the battery power keeps flowing through the wet components and it is more likely to damage them.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Cross your fingers you don't get corrosion problems later.

Next time might want to not use a hair dryer on it, heat blowing in moisture doesn't dry it out, causes more moist conditions. Rice is your best bet. Glad it's working for you yet.

honey_bee_33

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow! I hope I never have to go through this. I use my phone every single day for work and I'm just terrified of this scenario. I'm happy you shared your story though.

girls love tech too

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That was lucky! Hope everything continues to go well for your phone.

On the pictures note. 5gb of unsaved pictures is a lot! Are you opposed to a cloud service saving pictures? Or it just never crossed your mind?

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a bunch of pictures on sd cards and on Dropbox busy since my promotion from the Note 3 ended, it doesn't have enough room. I guess I could use Google drive. I'm hoping I don't have any problems down the road. $175 for the deductible is a killer

Posted via the Android Central App

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Uh, what?? On what basis could he return it?

To the OP, I hope it continues working for you. That was good thinking on your part to quickly remove the battery.

On the basis that it is still in the return window!! Yes, I know they are restrictions, if I was still in the return window, I would return it, and the worst they could say is NO!!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
He won't get away with returning it. All the stickers on battery, back of phone and inside of phone will show water damage. They would just end up charging his account for the phone if he sent it in. So if the op wanted to do fraud he would get caught. Don't think that is what the op was wanting to do anyway.

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
On the basis that it is still in the return window!! Yes, I know they are restrictions, if I was still in the return window, I would return it, and the worst they could say is NO!!
Damaging the phone and then attempting to return it for a replacement would be the wrong thing to do ethically, unless of course he was truthful about why it isn't working.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
He won't get away with returning it. All the stickers on battery, back of phone and inside of phone will show water damage. They would just end up charging his account for the phone if he sent it in. So if the op wanted to do fraud he would get caught. Don't think that is what the op was wanting to do anyway.

Who said anything about "fraud"???

I said return the phone.. You said "fraud".. Respectfully, are words being PUT in my mouth??

Return the phone. They will either refuse to replace it under warranty or they will replace it under warranty.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, I hope it continues working for you. That was good thinking on your part to quickly remove the battery.

But they didn't. They not only left the battery in, they continued to use the phone. It wasn't until the next morning that the battery was (briefly) removed. It's quite lucky that the phone continues to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech