06-15-2015 01:01 AM
28 12
tools
    Thought I'd share. Yesterday my son was playing in the sink and I went to get him away and he knocked my phone into a sink full of soapy dish water. I have a ballistic urbanite case on it for what is worth. Anyhow, it went straight to the bottom. I grabbed it out and began sucking the water out of the ports like I was giving it cpr, lol. I used a blow dryer and stuck it in a bowl of rice for a couple hours as well. Eventually the screen went black but I could still make calls using the "OK Google" feature. I ran to my computer to try to save the pictures before the phone went completely dead. I had about 5 gb worth the pictures on it so I fell asleep while they were transferring. This morning I woke up and the phone was completely dead. I did a battery pull and turned it back on hoping I could still make a phone call and amazingly the phone turned back on with everything working including the screen. Just wanted to share my story in case it happens to someone else to give it time to dry out before calling insurance.

Posted via my Auqua Man
    T-mobile Note 4
    Paul Chin and lv2bsilly like this.
    11-04-2014 09:13 AM
    Sorry to hear this happened and glad you were able to dry it out and getting it working again!
    11-04-2014 09:33 AM
    That is one of the nice things about having a removable battery. If it gets wet, pull the battery ASAP. Dry out the phone. Put back the battery.
    If you can't remove the battery, the battery power keeps flowing through the wet components and it is more likely to damage them.
    Paul Chin and UniQue WerkX like this.
    11-04-2014 09:34 AM
    I think I would pull the battery and keep it in a 5 pound bag of rice for 48 hours.
    GalaxyOnyxWitch likes this.
    11-04-2014 11:18 AM
    Cross your fingers you don't get corrosion problems later.

Next time might want to not use a hair dryer on it, heat blowing in moisture doesn't dry it out, causes more moist conditions. Rice is your best bet. Glad it's working for you yet.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    11-04-2014 04:40 PM
    Wow! I hope I never have to go through this. I use my phone every single day for work and I'm just terrified of this scenario. I'm happy you shared your story though.

girls love tech too
    11-04-2014 04:44 PM
    I like to keep it positive, at least it wasn't orange juice.. Phone turned into an instant paperweight. Musta had medusa in the room
    11-04-2014 04:44 PM
    And they said Note 4 isn't water resistant!
    felloffthetruck and MRS DIVA like this.
    11-04-2014 04:46 PM
    Is a RETURN possible??
    11-04-2014 07:44 PM
    Is a RETURN possible??
    Uh, what?? On what basis could he return it?

To the OP, I hope it continues working for you. That was good thinking on your part to quickly remove the battery.
    11-04-2014 08:00 PM
    That was lucky! Hope everything continues to go well for your phone.

On the pictures note. 5gb of unsaved pictures is a lot! Are you opposed to a cloud service saving pictures? Or it just never crossed your mind?
    11-04-2014 09:28 PM
    I have a bunch of pictures on sd cards and on Dropbox busy since my promotion from the Note 3 ended, it doesn't have enough room. I guess I could use Google drive. I'm hoping I don't have any problems down the road. $175 for the deductible is a killer

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-04-2014 09:35 PM
    I'll definitely be getting a life case if they make one for the Note 4

11-04-2014 09:37 PM
    suggestion: put the phone into a can with some driers and seal for one day.
    11-05-2014 12:25 AM
    Uh, what?? On what basis could he return it?

To the OP, I hope it continues working for you. That was good thinking on your part to quickly remove the battery.

On the basis that it is still in the return window!! Yes, I know they are restrictions, if I was still in the return window, I would return it, and the worst they could say is NO!!
    11-05-2014 10:18 AM
    He won't get away with returning it. All the stickers on battery, back of phone and inside of phone will show water damage. They would just end up charging his account for the phone if he sent it in. So if the op wanted to do fraud he would get caught. Don't think that is what the op was wanting to do anyway.
    11-05-2014 10:29 AM
    On the basis that it is still in the return window!! Yes, I know they are restrictions, if I was still in the return window, I would return it, and the worst they could say is NO!!
    Damaging the phone and then attempting to return it for a replacement would be the wrong thing to do ethically, unless of course he was truthful about why it isn't working.
    11-05-2014 10:55 AM
    The Note 5 should be IP67/68 rated. Sony is really ahead of the game here.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-05-2014 10:58 AM
    He won't get away with returning it. All the stickers on battery, back of phone and inside of phone will show water damage. They would just end up charging his account for the phone if he sent it in. So if the op wanted to do fraud he would get caught. Don't think that is what the op was wanting to do anyway.
    Who said anything about "fraud"???

I said return the phone.. You said "fraud".. Respectfully, are words being PUT in my mouth??

Return the phone. They will either refuse to replace it under warranty or they will replace it under warranty.
    11-06-2014 07:28 AM
    But they didn't. They not only left the battery in, they continued to use the phone. It wasn't until the next morning that the battery was (briefly) removed. It's quite lucky that the phone continues to work.
    jackjack1969 likes this.
    11-06-2014 07:36 AM
    Damaging the phone and then attempting to return it for a replacement would be the wrong thing to do ethically, unless of course he was truthful about why it isn't working.
    Thank you, thank you and thank you.. It seems that some people took my post of return it, put words in my mouth and state that I am suggesting fraud. Whereas, no where in ANY OF MY POSTS I suggested that..

Thank you again for the clarification.

Example, I road race motorcycles, therefore, all my equipment is high end. Some one KNOCKED my high end brand new helmet over and put a hairline crack in it. I called the seller, told them of the mishap, and they told me to return it, and shipped me out a brand new helmet. Sometimes it is a manager's call.
    FSU30 likes this.
    11-06-2014 08:30 AM
    Who said anything about "fraud"???

I said return the phone.. You said "fraud".. Respectfully, are words being PUT in my mouth??

Return the phone. They will either refuse to replace it under warranty or they will replace it under warranty.
    Respectfully I did not put words in your mouth. I didn't even quote you in a post.

I said "if" the op wanted to commit fraud he would get caught. And I also said I didn't think that was the op intention.

Returning the phone for other reasons without telling them it was in water is fraud and they would catch it is all I was saying. Sorry you took it the other way, I just wanted to point out the water stickers would rat him out.
    11-06-2014 10:33 AM
    I didn't pull the battery until the screen went out. Then I took the battery out and used a blow dryer, then put it in a bowl of rice for about an hour. Then it hit me about the pictures I took of my kids on Halloween and wanted to save them. I had already written the phone off as unusable but I put the battery back in to see if it would turn on. I heard it make the usual sounds when turned on and I plugged it to the computer and started transferring my pictures and S Notes. I feel asleep while it was transferring the pictures. I woke up to it lifeless. Then I did a battery pull and amazingly it worked. It's still working. I hope that the corrosion won't be a problem or at least hold off until I decide to get another phone, most likely a year from now. If it hadn't of worked, I would have just turned it into the insurance, not for warranty replacement or try to take it back. Tmobile and assurion has been to good to me to try to scam them or beat them just to save $175.

11-06-2014 11:40 AM
    Respectfully I did not put words in your mouth. I didn't even quote you in a post.

I said "if" the op wanted to commit fraud he would get caught. And I also said I didn't think that was the op intention.

Returning the phone for other reasons without telling them it was in water is fraud and they would catch it is all I was saying. Sorry you took it the other way, I just wanted to point out the water stickers would rat him out.
    Respectfully right back, who said not to tell them?

The point I was and still am making is the worst can come of this, is that they say no. Manager's call!!

Through the length of my years, I have MANY things happen in my favor, because it was a "manager's call"..

I have reimbursements from banks, returned item pass their return window time, unheard of price matches, all because of a "manager's call" and "good customer service" taking over.. Also, why must one think the worst, when it was not stated?

All this said, respectfully...
    11-06-2014 01:53 PM
    Respectfully right back, who said not to tell them?

The point I was and still am making is the worst can come of this, is that they say no. Manager's call!!

Through the length of my years, I have MANY things happen in my favor, because it was a "manager's call"..

I have reimbursements from banks, returned item pass their return window time, unheard of price matches, all because of a "manager's call" and "good customer service" taking over.. Also, why must one think the worst, when it was not stated?

All this said, respectfully...
    I guess your right it could happen, but once it is said the phone went in the sink full of dish water I'm pretty sure 99% of the managers are going to deny replacement.

But any way, I never was replying to you or anyone. I was just making a statement. If I'm replying to someone I quote the post. Sorry for any hard feelings, just chatting is all. :-)
    11-06-2014 10:32 PM
28 12