So coming from ios 8 I loved the new feature where you could answer a text without having to open the app. You would just pull down the notification and it would let you type and send there so you don't have to leave your app. I know I've seen androids with these feature for the longest time on my friends' phones. Is there an option to turn that on on the note 4? Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-04-2014 11:55 AM
    If you're using the stock messaging app, there is an option for popups so it shows on your screen in a small window that you can reply from. It's in the messages app settings. Some third party apps offer this feature too.
    11-04-2014 11:59 AM
    Do yourself a favor and get Handcent SMS in the Play Store.....does all you want and 200 things more. Great program. Second choice is GO SMS which also does what you ask.
    11-04-2014 12:36 PM
    If you're using the stock messaging app, there is an option for popups so it shows on your screen in a small window that you can reply from. It's in the messages app settings. Some third party apps offer this feature too.
    The only issue with this method is it limits the characters.

I use ChompSMS and I am able to type a message back with quick reply (it can as long as I want as well).
    11-04-2014 12:44 PM
    Textra does the same thing

tclementi1 likes this.
    11-04-2014 01:21 PM
    Textra does the same thing

Yep. Textra was made by the ChompSMS guys as well .
    11-04-2014 01:25 PM
    Ok I turned on the option in notifications and I'll see how that works out. Another question is, why is it that whenever I send pics to people it degrades the quality so much? On imessage they were the same quality as when I or my friends took the pics. Now they look all grainy and are like under 1 mb. The phone is always complaining about sending videos because they are too big.

11-04-2014 01:53 PM
    Ok I turned on the option in notifications and I'll see how that works out. Another question is, why is it that whenever I send pics to people it degrades the quality so much? On imessage they were the same quality as when I or my friends took the pics. Now they look all grainy and are like under 1 mb. The phone is always complaining about sending videos because they are too big.

When sending a picture via text it goes though a different standard (MMS) which goes though the carrier. The carriers down-grade video / picture quality so it doesn't use as much data. When you used an iPhone and it used iMessage it would send in full quality since it was technically sending it via Apple's servers rather than the carriers -- This is one advantage iMessage has over Android -- Full quality picture & video.
    11-04-2014 01:56 PM
    Do these third party keyboards support the one handed feature? I noticed when I turned on the Google keyboard o couldn't get it to justify left or right

11-04-2014 03:03 PM
    When sending a picture via text it goes though a different standard (MMS) which goes though the carrier. The carriers down-grade video / picture quality so it doesn't use as much data. When you used an iPhone and it used iMessage it would send in full quality since it was technically sending it via Apple's servers rather than the carriers -- This is one advantage iMessage has over Android -- Full quality picture & video.
    Well that sucks. Other than that if I try to use Skype it ends up saying that I can only use pictures stored on my device. I don't get that because well, they are... Lol.

11-04-2014 04:00 PM
    Well that sucks. Other than that if I try to use Skype it ends up saying that I can only use pictures stored on my device. I don't get that because well, they are... Lol.

A good option for sending full resolution images and videos is to use Google Drive, Dropbox or other similar cloud storages. Store your image or video on a cloud drive and send a link to it in the text message. The recipient receives the link, can view and download the file if they want. This removes the restrictions you have by sending the file in a text messaging app. You can even send links to complete folders full of images if you want. I use this all the time. I only send images in messages when the quality doesn't really matter.
    11-04-2014 05:16 PM

Unfortunately iMessage appears to be an area that iPhones simply own the Note in. Don't get me wrong, I love my N4 and am happy I made the switch. But no Android texting app can compete with iMessage, especially when one iPhone user is texting another.
    11-04-2014 08:22 PM
    Yep. Textra was made by the ChompSMS guys as well .
    Yeah. I'm still trying to understand why though. I think chomp has a few more features if I'm not mistaken. But yeah I don't understand their need to create textra and chomp when they are extremely identical.
    Statastic likes this.
    11-04-2014 09:02 PM
    I use google hangouts. There are still some missing features (like the ability to send more than one picture at a time or videos), but i find it's the closest to imessage that android users have. Downside is instead of using phone numbers you have to know the other person's email address for it to work.
    11-05-2014 08:26 AM
    I use google hangouts. There are still some missing features (like the ability to send more than one picture at a time or videos), but i find it's the closest to imessage that android users have. Downside is instead of using phone numbers you have to know the other person's email address for it to work.
    It also dumbs down pictures from the full quality whereas iMessage allows it to stay full quality.
    11-05-2014 01:34 PM
    I never really noticed personally but don't doubt it.
    02-13-2015 09:52 PM
    Google messenger does not...
    02-14-2015 12:59 AM