Note 4 pictures too sharp!

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Does everyone elses note 4 sharpen pictures as much as mine? Is there anyway to get it to not auto sharpen every picture?

In good lighting pictures look stunning, but seriously, when taking pictures in lower light (both front and back cameras) my pictures look so over sharpened, that they look like they were taken with my old flip phone.....Selfies look terrible in mid to low light.

Thoughts?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Does everyone elses note 4 sharpen pictures as much as mine? Is there anyway to get it to not auto sharpen every picture?

In good lighting pictures look stunning, but seriously, when taking pictures in lower light (both front and back cameras) my pictures look so over sharpened, that they look like they were taken with my old flip phone.....Selfies look terrible in mid to low light.

Thoughts?

No problem with mine. I have everything set to auto.

Posted via the Android Central App

maximalife

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Mines is fine...try using flash in the dark...and low light selfies...what kind of quality are you expecting?

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Its not exactly quality that I am talking about. So both side cameras take great photos (always well lit, not blurry) BUT then its like the app processes the image, and applies this crazy sharpen filter which makes the photos look way over sharpened. Ill try get some pics and post here so you can see what I mean.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I know what you're talking about. I'd like to find a way to turn it off as well.

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it can be quite a bit annoying. My mustang in this picture is supposed to be yellow. Instead it looks orangey. It's supposed to look like the second picture. Why the picture is upside down, I do not know...

Attachments

• 20141031_151620.jpg
    20141031_151620.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Badong04Cobra.jpg
    Badong04Cobra.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 258

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The top picture, other than being upside down, looks great to me. Good color and everything, and definitely looks yellow from this end. Did I miss a "/S" somewhere?

OP, I gotta admit, you're the first person I've ever heard to complain that a phone camera's pictures were "too sharp."

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Turn off HDR. HDR makes pics POP like a firecracker on the 4th. Personally, I like HDR in some situations, like trees n stuff but not when taking pics of bright colors.

Now this is a real mustang :) But I like yours too!

1000b-4_3.jpg

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Lol the 03-04 cobras pioneered the newer gt500s being that they were the first supercharged SVT mustangs.

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Now this is what I am talking about. Before you say that I need flash and stuff, this is seriously what all my low to mid light pictures look like. Ignore any blurriness, and stuff out of focus on the pic, because that is not what I am talking about. I am reffering to the actual sharpness of the picture being so high that it looks grainy instead.

20141104_200059.jpg

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Now this is what I am talking about. Before you say that I need flash and stuff, this is seriously what all my low to mid light pictures look like. Ignore any blurriness, and stuff out of focus on the pic, because that is not what I am talking about. I am reffering to the actual sharpness of the picture being so high that it looks grainy instead.

View attachment 145931

I believe mine does that too. Nice PC BTW.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it can be quite a bit annoying. My mustang in this picture is supposed to be yellow. Instead it looks orangey. It's supposed to look like the second picture. Why the picture is upside down, I do not know...

It looks yellow to me but I am looking at it on my Nexus 7 2013. I'll have a look on my S5 which also has an amoled display and samsung's over saturated (amazing) colours.

Edit: looking at it on my S5 now. It is definitely a different shade of yellow. However I think if you view your pictures on a different screen they will appear more natural (life like) . Samsung displays tend to over saturate things. That's why everything pops! However you can adjust the display mode in settings to something you prefer.

Posted from my nexus 7 2013

shebad89

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that as well my pics look very grainy thought it was me but on my note3 my selfie look way better I love taking pics but my note 4 has me a Lil upset 😢

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
idk if you guys know but the Samsung gallery app has different screen settings profiles than the rest of the ui. the sharpness goes up exponentially in gallery when looking at any pics. it's those mdni profiles or whatever. samsung always did that in their phones

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

Kbabs7

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
YES! I know exactly what you mean! My Note 3 never had this issue. Anyone who is replying that you are complaining that your pics are too sharp, in a sarcastic way, must not know too much about even basic photography. It is exactly like taking a slightly fuzzy pic and applying a cheap sharpen filter... it just looks "fake". I wonder how our photos appear on other devices though. Could it be the jump in Megapixels, also. Hopefully they don't look like this on all devices! It's making me miss my Note 3. If there is anything that can be adjusted to fix the issue I would love to know asap.

And in daylight outside mine are amazing as well. Someone asked what do you expect in low light? But, it isn't a "low light" issue when you are talking about issues indoors. Low lighting is dark surroundings, or outside at night. Of course it'd be crazy to have no grain whatsoever in low light, but it acts this way in regular lighting indoors. It's just not right.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 145931
The grain is not from sharpness. That picture is not too sharp.

The grain is from the ISO setting the camera had to use to capture a low light image.

Try experimenting with HDR settings on a couple of shots.

Try editing the shot with Snapseed or something similar and see if you get closer to the results you want.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The grain is not from sharpness. That picture is not too sharp.

The grain is from the ISO setting the camera had to use to capture a low light image.

Try experimenting with HDR settings on a couple of shots.

Try editing the shot with Snapseed or something similar and see if you get closer to the results you want.

Yeah, that was my impression, too. I find it a lot with low light shots as well.

-->From what I understand most manufacturers in fact have their basic setting as "low end of sharpness" to avoid these problems. If you want to sharpen photos, pull it into Aviary or what not on ANdroid (or various programs on the desktop like IrfanView) and go for it. They leave that to the user.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21