Ok so I am aware we will be getting 5.0 in Decemberish for the Note 4. I am a little confused as to why with 1 OS the look and feel is so different across all these devices, G3, N4, nexus, and so forth. Now ive head this has something do with the launcher. If it is then what is the point of things like "Flat design" in the OS why does the OS have any design attributes at all?

Would changing the Launcher effect how the Note works fundamentally or is it just cosmetic ?

Now I come from iOS so please forgive me, not use to this whole android thing (although I love it so far!)

Thanks all!
    11-04-2014 03:17 PM
    Ok so I am aware we will be getting 5.0 in Decemberish for the Note 4. I am a little confused as to why with 1 OS the look and feel is so different across all these devices, G3, N4, nexus, and so forth. Now ive head this has something do with the launcher. If it is then what is the point of things like "Flat design" in the OS why does the OS have any design attributes at all?

Would changing the Launcher effect how the Note works fundamentally or is it just cosmetic ?

Now I come from iOS so please forgive me, not use to this whole android thing (although I love it so far!)

Thanks all!
    the new design is said to look flatter with added functionality. launcher will just change the home screen icons and theme. so no fundamental changes if no action from android or manufactures.
    peter1hauns likes this.
    11-04-2014 03:23 PM
    Here's another subtle (or not so subtle, depending on your point of view) difference between iOS updates and Android updates. When iOS releases an update, it is the same update for all devices. So when it is released, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, et. al. all get the update and it pushes out to your phones because they are all the same OS.

With Android, however, its different. Google releases the base OS to the manufacturers, who then overlay their own stuff onto it (Samsung's TouchWiz on the Galaxy devices, for example, or Sense on HTC). But they may not choose to do that for all of their devices. After that, however, there is still one more step. The manufacturers then release the update to the carriers, who often add yet another layer of stuff to the OS.

Android's ecosystem allows more players to participate in the process, so it takes longer to roll out an update.

Just because you have "heard" that Lollipop will be dropping to the Note 4 in December, doesn't necessarily mean that it will be out and available to us at that time.
    11-04-2014 03:25 PM
    Here's another subtle (or not so subtle, depending on your point of view) difference between iOS updates and Android updates. When iOS releases an update, it is the same update for all devices. So when it is released, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, et. al. all get the update and it pushes out to your phones because they are all the same OS.

With Android, however, its different. Google releases the base OS to the manufacturers, who then overlay their own stuff onto it (Samsung's TouchWiz on the Galaxy devices, for example, or Sense on HTC). But they may not choose to do that for all of their devices. After that, however, there is still one more step. The manufacturers then release the update to the carriers, who often add yet another layer of stuff to the OS.

Android's ecosystem allows more players to participate in the process, so it takes longer to roll out an update.

Just because you have "heard" that Lollipop will be dropping to the Note 4 in December, doesn't necessarily mean that it will be out and available to us at that time.
    Thanks for such a detailed response!! So is there anyway I can get a more stock android experience, not that there is anything wrong with TouchWiz, and not compromise any of what makes a Note a Note?
    11-04-2014 03:32 PM

Well mainly because iOS updates come from Apple -- no carrier needed. Android allows carriers to add bloat .. so they take their sweet time testing it with their bloat and that is why we have to wait for them to push it out.
    peter1hauns likes this.
    11-04-2014 03:35 PM

Thanks all!
    Changing the launcher is definitely more of a cosmetic fix. It's only one part of an OEM skin though. The software customizations are just a way for manufacturers to differentiate themselves from others. Some take it to the extreme, such as Samsung and LG, whereas others like Motorola add nice features while keeping the stock android look and feel. This is the reason why Moto tends to update their devices quickly. Other manufacturers need more time to layer on their software tweaks and that's before it gets released for carrier testing.

Sent from my Note 4
    peter1hauns likes this.
    11-04-2014 03:36 PM
    Changing the launcher is definitely more of a cosmetic fix. It's only one part of an OEM skin though. The software customizations are just a way for manufacturers to differentiate themselves from others. Some take it to the extreme, such as Samsung and LG, whereas others like Motorola add nice features while keeping the stock android look and feel. This is the reason why Moto tends to update their devices quickly. Other manufacturers need more time to layer on their software tweaks and that's before it gets released for carrier testing.

Sent from my Note 4
    Great information thanks! Plus im with Verizon, figure that would add another thick layer in as suggested above haha
    11-04-2014 03:41 PM
    Thanks for such a detailed response!! So is there anyway I can get a more stock android experience, not that there is anything wrong with TouchWiz, and not compromise any of what makes a Note a Note?
    Only when root is available.
    11-04-2014 03:44 PM
    Rename this thread

Posted via the Android Central App
    fredwardnelson likes this.
    11-04-2014 03:45 PM
    You can try a launcher like Nova Prime if you don't want to root. That will get you pretty close.
    11-04-2014 03:48 PM

Thanks all!
    You can check pocketnow.com and they have a list of when each Samsung phone will receive the update to 5.0

Posted via Note4 & Android Central App
    11-04-2014 05:16 PM
    Anyone knows when the Note 3 update Will be released???
    lv2bsilly likes this.
    11-10-2014 10:11 PM
    If you're wanting a more stock Android experience without losing Note features, download the Google Now launcher. That makes your home screen look and behave almost the same as a Nexus. Unless I missed it, I'm ashamed of everyone for not telling you this. Nova is a great launcher but it's nothing close to stock android.
    11-11-2014 02:51 PM