03-17-2015 02:57 AM
36 12
tools
    I am upgrading from a Lumia 920 (ugh) on Black Friday. I'm waiting to see what deals are offered then, but I'm either getting the Note 4 or the Note Edge. Which one should I choose?
    11-04-2014 07:30 PM
    Well they are identical in terms of internals so it depends on how important the edge is to you?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-04-2014 07:35 PM
    I think the Edge will have an extremely limited selection of accessories like cases because it's going to be a very limited volume model. No clue how a screen protector could be made for it. You can't even buy a glass protector for the regular model that fits. Personally I think the Edge is a gimmick as I don't see any practical use of the side screen.
    11-04-2014 07:48 PM
    I view the Note Edge as a gimmick as well.

I watched a youtube video on it and they is no way I'd buy that.
    11-04-2014 08:37 PM
    I Think that yes the edge is a gimmick but that said there has been great things that have come from gimmicks.

This is one thing I do think Samsung do well in that they try different things.

It might not appeal to all and thus is no doubt why it will be released in limited numbers.

11-04-2014 08:48 PM
    wait till edge come out...go to the store and compare it side by side. which one appeal you the most? Then get that.
    21stNow, MRS DIVA, qbnkelt and 1 others like this.
    11-04-2014 08:55 PM
    I really wanted to wait for the Note Edge, but I needed a new phone now. I'm very happy with the Note 4, but when the Edge comes out I'll be a little envious of it.
    Blipstein likes this.
    11-04-2014 09:14 PM
    I really wanted to wait for the Note Edge, but I needed a new phone now. I'm very happy with the Note 4, but when the Edge comes out I'll be a little envious of it.
    Same. Plus, I knew the Edge would be more expensive. And the regular Note 4 is just more attractive with its skinnier frame and symmetrical body.

While the Edge might seem like a gimmick I think the little curved screen could have plenty of practical uses with the necessary app development. Unfortunately it will probably get very little app development (we all know Android struggles in this department some times).

If you have the money to blow on a device, I say what the hell, get it. Its not like the curved screen will hurt anything. You'll have a Note 4 and more. Plus it'll be cool to show off, even if it barely does anything.
    11-04-2014 10:36 PM
    I could see using the edge one handed in the right hand could be a possible by accidentally touching the edge while thumbing thru the screen
    qbnkelt likes this.
    11-04-2014 10:49 PM
    I definitely think the Note Edge is a gimmick. It looks great on paper, but for $100 more, its just not worth it in my opinion. I mean the only thing I could see beneficial about the Edge is if it displays real time sports scores, stocks, and breaking news and even THAT doesn't justify a reason to pay $100 more for it. Plus, I really don't see much, if any app development for it with its limited quantity. When I think of the Edge, I think of the 1st gen Galaxy Gear that was hyped up like the Super Bowl and ended up with very little support and a quick update with another watch. I'll wait and see how this experiment goes and if it succeeds, then maybe I will go with the more improved Edge 2... if it gets that far.

11-05-2014 03:13 AM
    I wouldn't be too quick to call the Edge a gimmick. It seems everyone forgotten that when the Note was released, alot of people called the Note a gimmick and that no one was gonna buy it because it was "too big" and the stylus was also a gimmick. A few years later, everyone was trying to beat Samsung at the "too big" size game. Google and Apple got into the "too big" game as well with the Nexus 6 and Iphone 6+.

I am interested in the edge but not too sold on the price. Samsung really screwed up bu pricing it $100 more then the Note. It should of been at least the same price. Some people are gonna be turned off by the price and not even look at the Edge. I'm still gonna check it out as I just got my Note 4 and still got 11 days and the Edge should be out by then.
    Brandon Lee Roy likes this.
    11-05-2014 04:49 AM
    I am upgrading from a Lumia 920 (ugh) on Black Friday. I'm waiting to see what deals are offered then, but I'm either getting the Note 4 or the Note Edge. Which one should I choose?
    What would be your reasoning for getting an Note Edge? If you can't come up with anything, The Note 4 is your answer

qbnkelt likes this.
    11-05-2014 05:37 AM
    I agree on price being a factor. That's why I went with the note 4 instead. I didn't want to pay another $100 for the edge.
    11-05-2014 09:26 AM
    Basically, all you're doing is paying $100 extra dollars for the "curved" portion of the screen and a few gimmick features that come with it. Sure it may be useful to some, but $100? Hey, to each one's own.

11-05-2014 11:09 AM
    It's a cool looking gadget but I'm more for functionality than a cool looking factor.
    I can't imagine how the Edge would be better than my Note 4. This device is perfect. Can't imagine what the Edge would have over it

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    11-05-2014 02:17 PM
    The price point is steep but I don't think even Samsung expects this to fly of shelves. There will be that few that would like it as it's something a bit different.

But in terms of added functionality I can't see other than notifications how the edge has anything over the Note 4.

As I retort some people like to be different and that is a great thing. As is Samsung by innovating and pushing the boundaries of the imagination thus opening up the doors for new technology.

11-05-2014 02:28 PM
    You guys gotta remember that even though Samsung is the King of "gimmicks" in/on their phones, they usually start trends really well.

The OG Note was considered a gimmick to the people around me when I originally bought it, and now 4 iterations down the line, and it's a staple product.

I may end up getting the note edge, to start developing and seeing how well it works, it's something that hasn't been done, and if this is successful, they may in fact add the dual edged screens (Note Double Edge anyone?! lol).

But all in all, they use these gimmicks to test features, some I can do without, but some are just them stepping outside of the boundaries and watching others follow suit in any way they can.
    11-05-2014 04:00 PM
    I had the gs5 then decided to give wp a try again and got the 1520. Nope, still fails, I returned it a week later and got the note 4. My point is comming from wp anything is better.
    11-05-2014 04:01 PM
    If you're at portrait 85% of the time, get it. If not, go for the note 4

Sent from my GS3R using Tapatalk
    11-05-2014 06:35 PM
    Edge is first gen and usually is best to wait till the next iteration of the device.

11-05-2014 07:31 PM
    I've actually seen both and played with both cuz of where I work and the edge is pretty much the same thing as the note 4.
    11-05-2014 08:48 PM
    $1,000 for a cell are you out of your mind? Lining Samsung's pockets.
    11-05-2014 09:08 PM
    950 dollars??? No thanks.

11-05-2014 09:16 PM
    Don't be the guinea pig. Get the Note 4 and let the rest be the experiment.
    11-05-2014 09:19 PM
    I very much so wanted the Edge when I first heard about it, and also thought it looked cool as ****. However, the more I've seen it, the more I've become used to the way it looks - and surprisingly I've kind of grown to dislike the phone.

The deal breakers for me was probably that 1) I needed a new phone, 2) It's kind of limited edition, so I'm not sure how much is gonna be developed with its added feature in mind, 3) I seem to remember reading somewhere that the battery life wasn't quite as good as the normal Note 4s.
    11-05-2014 11:22 PM
36 12