Notification Sound for text message not working

fireguy116#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The last day or two I've been having a problem with my notification sound not working when I receive a text. If I turn the phone off then back on it works again. Not really sure if it's a glitch or what. Anyone else having this problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do all sounds stop working when that happens, or just the text notification tones? That used to happen with my old Razr Maxx--I'd have to go to the Settings>Sound menu, then select a ringtone--the sample that played would "wake up" the sound again.

Do you have any other texting apps installed, like WhatsApp? Maybe there's a conflict between two messaging apps.

fireguy116#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No actually I went in the sound menu and they didn't play either. I would restart/shut off the phone then it would work. Now I did do a factory reset tonight so we will see if that fixes it. The only thing I've done to the phone was add a samsung pro micro sd card. That seems to be when my problems started I think. Can that be the cause of it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Corrupt SD cards can cause all kinds of issues, so it's worth unmounting the card (in Settings>Storage), removing it, and rebooting, then see if the problem recurs.

Denise Pancurak

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the note 4. When i am texting with someone the chat window is open i do not receive any notification sound that they responded to my text. Also another problem is when i am on a call and another call comes in i swipe to answer and its dead air. Anyone else having these problems?

terabyte1980

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I'm new here. I registered just to answer this because I had the same issue. In my case I am on Verizon and use their message+ app. for some reason you have to set the notification sound in the settings>sounds area and also in the message+ app. after I did that, it started working again. Hope this helps!

ahead123

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue on my Nexus 6 with T-Mobile. My messages are also silent. I'll post a fix here when I find one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kristinesj

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this will help but thought I would put my two cents in...try seeing if your text messages are muted in the individual contact conversations. Or if you've hit a mute somewhere else within the message app. I was getting no notifications from my husband for two days it was driving us crazy. I tried all kinds of things (even some of the suggestions from this thread) but no change. My smart phone challenged husband picked it up and fiddled with it and discovered that I had muted his messages :-! by mistake, I assured him. He went to his conversation on my phone and saw at the top by his photo and name that it said muted. he tapped the settings menu on the upper left when it opened it had Manage Conversation setting and one is mute conversation. He turned that off and Voila! it worked again. I have an s5 and am on verizon. Hope it can help someone.

gordonian

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I got a galaxy S5 on sprint running android v4.4.4 , and my (OEM) "Messages" texting app keeps forgetting to play it's notification sounds until I wipe the cache files, reboot the phone, or re-select my notification sound. THEN it will work again for 30 minutes or so. The strange thing is, I don't run very much stuff on my phone, (I did an uninstall binge the other day) and the problem never went away!

I got better things to do, than clean and re-clean my phone, or re-select my notification sound every 5 minutes on the chance that I may miss a text message! Is there a setting I need to change or undo?

UPDATE: I looked for a muting button like Kristinesj's post suggested, but I couldn't find one in this messages app that came with my (sprint) S5.

I tried looking for a mute button on the texting app that came with my (sprint) S5, there is no mute setting that I can find?

Last edited by a moderator:

gordonian

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
According to the apparent death of this thread, it looks like there is no "one-time" permanent solution to get text notification sounds to work reliably on Motorola, Nexus, or Samsung Galaxy series Android phones or tablets anymore . . . Is this for real?? :mad:

Last edited:

JCravelle

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am having a similar (serious) issue. Samsung Galaxy S5 (AT&T, Android 4.4.4) messaging app is not rendering sound. When messaging app is closed I receive an initial sound notification for received text message. When chat window is open and texts are received there is no sound with each text (and if window stays open while you are doing something else you have no sound notification of text received within that thread). I've rechecked all sound applications / volume levels, etc. In messaging app settings there is no setting for "Sound," by the way (though I seem to recall one BEFORE the AT&T update to Android 4.4.4 a few weeks ago). I have also checked SD card, no problem there. I have also rebooted several times, soft booted, turned messaging app on / off, deleted cache and data, etc. Nothing works. Finally, I did a complete factory reset yesterday, still no sound for additional texts when the chat window is open. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
According to the apparent death of this thread, it looks like there is no "one-time" permanent solution to get text notification sounds to work reliably on Motorola, Nexus, or Samsung Galaxy series Android phones or tablets anymore . . . Is this for real?? :mad:
If it is true, I'll go to the iPhone. I also have better things to do then making sure my notification sounds are working

CarmellaTrevizo1

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Can u post a screen shot of this menu setting option please? Also which phone do you have?

Have u found a solution to this? I am missing conversations such as items to get at the store since my phone is in a holster case. Its not until it time outs that i get the sound notification. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Caio De Souza

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I am having a similar (serious) issue. Samsung Galaxy S5 (AT&T, Android 4.4.4) messaging app is not rendering sound. When messaging app is closed I receive an initial sound notification for received text message. When chat window is open and texts are received there is no sound with each text (and if window stays open while you are doing something else you have no sound notification of text received within that thread). I've rechecked all sound applications / volume levels, etc. In messaging app settings there is no setting for "Sound," by the way (though I seem to recall one BEFORE the AT&T update to Android 4.4.4 a few weeks ago). I have also checked SD card, no problem there. I have also rebooted several times, soft booted, turned messaging app on / off, deleted cache and data, etc. Nothing works. Finally, I did a complete factory reset yesterday, still no sound for additional texts when the chat window is open. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Try this Settings> Applications> Messages App make sure you have the notifications turned on. (By where you force stop/clear cache)

JCravelle

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I did try that (several times). Also made sure all other sound settings were on / high volume. FYI, I also downloaded third party apps and tried AT&T app which also came preloaded on phone. Neither solved the problem, both apps allowed only initial sound notification when messaging app was not open, then, after opening with chat window open, any further text in chat is not accompanied by sound. Continues to be a huge problem. Any other suggestions? Thanks, in advance.

ReeseyMa18

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
As ridiculous as this sounds, I have spent the last 2 days fiddling around and diving through songs and I finally found a fix that worked for me. I have the galaxy s5 through Verizon...go to Settings>>>Applications>>>Messages>>>Notifications>>>Notification Sound. When it pops up to let you pick what sound you want, turn the volume up or down using the button on the side of your phone. I have no idea what made me think of this, but it worked and I finally have sound on my text message notifications. Hope this helps everyone!!

Robin Romero1

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
2 days ago I was getting 2 different alert noises for every text, yesterday it was fine, today I'm getting none. Nothing is muted, I've been fidgeting around with this all day and it's making me very stabby! I hope someone finds a good solution for this issue!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae