Notification Sound for text message not working

mags424

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
So I have the new Note 7 and all of a sudden my text msgs notification is not working. I've tried all the fixes above, but nothing. I even tried disabling the app. I am using the message+ app. Any suggestions?

razzell2

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
THAT was it. This is the fix. Dont know why it shut itself off there, but thank you for that. My message + is now notifying me with sound when I receive a text message.

Jeff Barnachea

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I was getting text messages, but my notification sound wasn't working. I had the volume all the way up and the song/ringtone that I picked worked. (Cause I had to play a preview of it before I could select it.) So I knew nothing was wrong with my speaker. The app that I chose for my text messages, for some reason, automatically disabled all notifications on my phone. So I would get text messages, but it wouldn't ring or notify me that I had gotten a one, even though I knew the volume was up and everything worked. To fix, I had to go into my messenger app>>>settings>>>notification settings>>>enable notifications. This fixed the issue for me, I hope this helps some of you.

Worked thanks

Gary Smith3380

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello
Just got a new Samsung S7 Edge, September 26th 2016
Yes, same issue with no text notifications.(except the default notification used for mail etc., but could not pick a different tone alert for text messages.) This is nuts, a $700 phone that doesn't work right.!
Contacted Verizon support and went through a factory reset, did not fix the issue and they suggested returning the phone to Walmart.
So next I called Samsung direct, After reporting it already had a factory reset, they said their was nothing else to check, suggested going to Best Buy and having a Samsung trained tech check the phone.

OK, so I'm not a Rocket Scientist, but I still believe it was a software issue of some setting.
and yes the phone had the latest software installed.

After sleeping on the problem this is what I found and fixed the problem.

There are two message applications on the phone, one yellow Icon called message and one red Icon called message Plus+.
So which one to use and whats the difference? Really don't know all the details but the screen layout is different and it seemed that I was toggle back and forth between them.

So I decided to use the "Basic" yellow Icon message application.

So do this, open the yellow Icon application and select MORE, go to settings and make sure notifications is ON.
Then go back to the main settings under Sound and vibrations, then notification sound and select message notifications, then select your unique tone.

It worked fine.

So it seems there is a conflict in setting up related to and between the two message applications.

Would have been nice if Verizon and Samsung would have this figured out for use dumb users.

Hope this works for you.

If I can help, send me an email [address redacted by Mod]
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhall586

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I've fixed it on my s5... settings_applications_application manager_messages_notifications. Turn it on there. I tried to do it in the app. It kept saying notification were on But they were not. I did this and it started working again. Hopefully this helps someone else..

game sleep chill

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately still not working for me still (Galaxy S5, Android 4.4.4, AT&T). I've tried all of the above fixes, nothing works. Am still not getting text message sound when message app is open and chat string is ongoing, only when the app is closed do I hear a notification sound then, upon opening and reviewing message, should that person keep texting, no sound. I've also tried installing a 3rd party message application from Google Play Store just to test it out, and still have the same problem, no sound with chat/message text string. ANY THOUGHTS APPRECIATED. Thanks! (If / when AT&T updates to Lollipop maybe this will go away ugh.)

Just registered so I can tell you I've sorted my problem, 1,went into settings 2,notifications to check it was on and it was 3, so went into the advanced notifications and it was not allowed so clicked it and it it said allowed and now works! Had s6 and 2 x s7 with same issue? I must have an app downloaded that may have turned it off?
Hope this works for you as peed the he'll out of me!
Damien

Last edited by a moderator:

angelfyre05

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
My wife has a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge and lost the sound when she gets a text message. She fixed it this way: She pressed the volume buttons on the left side up or down....when you see the volume bar there is a down arrow, press it and make sure notification is up.

Last edited:

RedMachine1972

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 with android version 6.0.1 and since December when I got it all was good. Here we are several updates later and for about 2 months it has been that I cannot get my messages sounds to work. Notifications are on, volume is up, everything that I have looked at on this forum is either on or set correctly, but I still get no sounds with text messages coming in. This is getting very frustrating as I need the sounds as I do not have my phone in my hand with the screen on all the time. Forgot to mention, I have ATT and I use the basic setup on the phone, no downloaded messenger apps.

MsRose426

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
OMGosh...I have the same exact problem...I have AT&T also...I have tried everything on this thread so far nothing has worked...If you find a solution please let me know :(

Heather Smith11

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
I tried many of the suggestions in this thread, but none seemed to work for me. I was not receiving notifications of any kind for text messages. I tried restarting the phone, removing the SIM card, going into Settings > Applications > Messages > Notifications and tried all the tricks with the volume and choosing a different notification sound, etc.... still nothing. I have the Galaxy S6 by the way. It turns out there is another setting aside from turning Notifications on or off. There is also a setting to block notifications. I don't know how it got turned on but here you go: Settings > Applications > Application Manager > Messages > Notifications > Allow Notifications > ON!!

You are a life saver! I have been racking my brain and trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it. This was the only thing that worked and oddly enough out of all the threads I have read nobody mentions anything about that. Thank you!

David Dubbin

Dec 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Notification Sound for text message not working Galaxy S6

I too have been trying to get the notification for sms to switch on... there were loads of obvious solutions BUT Krystel is absolutely correct...
Settings>Applications>Application Manager>Messages>Notifications>Allow Notifications = ON! I believe the phone comes out of the box set like this!!
Last... using the buttons - run the volume up and down about ten times, leaving it set on maximum!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc