No Apps running in the BG but only 500mb of RAM available?

lpcs1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone , I got my Note 4 about 2 weeks ago and I've using it a lot for browsing , but in the last few days i've noticed a slight decrease in response time, loading speed and a significant increase regarding the crash frequency of apps (also the s pen freezes sometimes and I even had to restart the device a couple of times) .

So I've looked into this and discovered that the RAM usage was always worryingly high even without any apps running... and even though dual window browsing still works pretty smoothly , in the samsung browser or using chrome, the performance really slows down when more than 3 tabs are open.

Okay so what might be the problem here? I made the mistake of not checking the performance levels right after unboxing so I can't say if the fact that there is a maximum of 500mb available out of 3GB of RAM is due to me installing many , many apps on the device . I don't know if this is due to an android virus I might have downloaded or if it's because of Avast but I'd really like your opinion on this.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine also shows very little RAM available but it operates smoothly the vast majority of the time. I could be wrong but if yours is running slow i'd imagine the culprit to be one of the apps you've downloaded.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No need to worry about RAM. Android handles RAM beautifully and actually fills it up on purpose. Even though you have no apps really running there are plenty of things it can cache in the background. It will free up space as needed. This is definitely different from the way Windows handles RAM.

Here is an old (but good) article by Jerry that explains why you shouldn't worry about RAM.

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
No need to worry about RAM. Android handles RAM beautifully and actually fills it up on purpose. Even though you have no apps really running there are plenty of things it can cache in the background. It will free up space as needed. This is definitely different from the way Windows handles RAM.

Here is an old (but good) article by Jerry that explains why you shouldn't worry about RAM.

I read something like this before and ever since I stopped worrying about RAM. my device seems to handle things just fine so I'm going to let it be.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
so should I try clearing that cache to increase performance?

Read the article linked to about ram, just let your phone do its thing. There is a rule in android, free ram is wasted ram. Let me ask you this, why would having more free ram speed up your phone?

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Suddenly I'm not afraid of RAM.

Posted via Android Central App

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Even so, I would turn off apps you don't use or don't need, because just sitting in the background consumes resources regardless. No need to use memory or even 1% CPU if you aren't using that app, nevermind the data or battery it uses while being in the background.