Apps safe to turn off?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Forgive me, but I'm a new user. How do I disable apps as opposed to deleting them? I know how to delete apps I have added, but is it possible with pre-installed apps?

There are a few ways to disable apps but the easiest way is go to

Settings --> Application Manager --> All

Select an Application on the list and you will see if it can be disabled. If it can be just tap the box.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I use Textra and selected it as my Default Application for messaging.

Make sure you have another messaging app set as default and you should then be able to disable it.

Hm, not working on my Note 2 (running 4.4.2). I double checked, and ensured Textra is default on it.

Note 4 just shut down, I'll check it later when I plug it in to charge.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hm, not working on my Note 2 (running 4.4.2). I double checked, and ensured Textra is default on it.

Note 4 just shut down, I'll check it later when I plug it in to charge.

Don't know.. Maybe it's 4.4.4 and / or carrier dependent.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Here is everything I have turned off with no issues.
That's a whole lotta bloat! I'm on vzw and I thought they were king of bloat but I'm thinking I'm wrong. I appreciate the post though and I will use it as a reference.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How u disabled apps that u downloaded lol instgram and Facebook not pre installed lol

Posted via Android Central App

Some devices have apps like that preinstalled. I don't know specifically about AT&T, but it wouldn't be surprising.

Forgive me, but I'm a new user. How do I disable apps as opposed to deleting them? I know how to delete apps I have added, but is it possible with pre-installed apps?

Go to Settings>Apps>All, select the app, and tap Disable or Turn Off (if the button is available). This option will only show if the app is preinstalled and therefore unremovable.

spinalpap

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. AT&T Seems to have even more bloat than Verizon.

I've always used the turn off a couple at a time method to check on the effect of dialing apps. Usually works ok.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't know.. Maybe it's 4.4.4 and / or carrier dependent.

Must be something with Sprint. I can't disable it on my Note 4 at all. Force stop, clear cache, etc., all work, it's just the Turn Off that's, well, turned off. Hopefully it won't be locked down in Lollipop, although I read the Lollipop messenger is nicer.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
My Verizon Note 4 is pretty loaded with bloat but I don't think as much as AT&T.

So is it better to just "turn off" or "uninstall updates" on most of these apps?

On my Verizon Note 4 there is only a turn off or uninstall option. I don't see disable anywhere.

Last edited:

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Turn off will make them show as disabled. Same thing. Ones you can turn off can't be uninstalled. Some you can't do either with.

My Verizon Note 4 is pretty loaded with bloat but I don't think as much as AT&T.

So is it better to just "turn off" or "uninstall updates" on most of these apps?

On my Verizon Note 4 there is only a turn off or uninstall option. I don't see disable anywhere.

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Must be something with Sprint. I can't disable it on my Note 4 at all. Force stop, clear cache, etc., all work, it's just the Turn Off that's, well, turned off. Hopefully it won't be locked down in Lollipop, although I read the Lollipop messenger is nicer.

Yeah, must be a Sprint thing. I can't do it either. We'll see what happens with Lollipop. But I'm betting they still block stuff like that.

MarLa Salagantin

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
We have the same phone is it okay to disable google play music? If I did what would be happen ? I noticed when I disable this app there is no uninstall updates shown above and its disappear I don't know what happened, Im curious.. I hope you have any idea thanks anyway..

dedhedAndy

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
We have the same phone is it okay to disable google play music? If I did what would be happen ? I noticed when I disable this app there is no uninstall updates shown above and its disappear I don't know what happened, Im curious.. I hope you have any idea thanks anyway..

I don't use Google play music. I've had it disabled since day one. It's fine to disable it.

Posted via Galaxy Note 4

Mannikon

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Certainly is a lot of provider bloatware! That will be in addition to all the stuff added by Samsung and Google!
I'm in the UK using Three as a provider and Three only added one app to check the account and that can be disabled easily. Nonetheless I have 23 Samsung and Google apps currently disabled. Not surprising that users like to root their phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci