So I love android, I love my note 4, but I'm thinking of returning it?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Have you downloaded the extra camera modes from the Samsung app store?

I have been playing around with the camera figuring out how it works for the last few days.

Download the extra modes and spend some time with it.

It's definitely not the most intuitive point and shoot device, Apple definitely gets the nod for this.

But once you get the hang of it, it is a pretty incredible camera considering it is a phone.

Picture quality and range of ability is definitely better than the iPhone 6, in my opinion. But you have to figure out how to unlock that potential, which can be frustrating.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I know I'm in the minority here, but I hated the camera in my iPhone 5s (3 of them) the iPhone 5 (2 of them), and the 4s (1). The camera is severely overrated. Lowlight was definitely great, but the camera created alot of need to "reshoot" shots and edit.

Posted via the Android Central App

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I personally set my scales from default of 1x to 1.5x. Why? Because it gives the phone time to load apps and transition to other UI elements making for a much smoother experience. After using it for a day or two, you don't notice the slowdown and it kind of mimics the way the iPhone does things.

By slowing it down, it gives time for the app to load while it's still in the transition and animation states making it feel as if there is no lag between the icon press and it being displayed on screen. The stutter is a whole 'nother story.

People think going faster is the way to go. For the most part it is.....but in the right instances. You want "smooth", "buttery" animations and transitions? Set UP the scales....not down. Of coarse this is all subjective and the way I prefer it. It might not be for you.

Exactly I did the same thing ppl forgot when u first Open the app it has to load... So mines on 1.5 also it's much smoother... And changed my animation in Nova to slide up... Looks great

Posted via Android Central App

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's my take. Unfortunately i doubt the M8 will be your dream phone, NOT because its NOT a great device, but if you had gone "straight to it from iphoneosphere", THEN maybe. However, now that you have experienced so much of what the Note 4 has to offer, AND u admit you are still, "semi in love with it", you will more than likely miss many of its features when you are using your M8. (Kinda a, "how you gonna keep them down on the farm, ONCE they've seen Paris" syndrome : ) Will you get over it? Maybe. Is it worth returning, only to maybe decide you like the Note 4 better? Then having to return M8 hassle and get the Note 4 again?! (And then, what if second Note 4 has issues? I wouldn't take THAT chance, sadly build qualities do differ & the Note 4 you have now is perfect : ) (As u can tell, this is NOT my first rodeo)...lol

Here's what i suggest: Get a new line of service with M8, try them "side by side" for as long as you can (which will depend how much into your 14 day return period are you on Note 4) and then return the one you like better. Its worth the 35.00 restocking fee and pro-rated service fees that a new line of service costs to be able to put your questions to rest (imho : )

I think in a side by side OWNER comparison is truly the only way to REALLY know for sure which will suit you better for the next year or so. Side by side video reviews are nice, but to me they help "rule out" reasons and in the past when i have gotten phones based on them, i'd be like, "snap, i didn't realize this or that" which, for the TRUE test, you really need to "set BOTH up as YOU use them" and take it from there.

BTC

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm in the minority here, but I hated the camera in my iPhone 5s (3 of them) the iPhone 5 (2 of them), and the 4s (1). The camera is severely overrated. Lowlight was definitely great, but the camera created alot of need to "reshoot" shots and edit.

The older cameras were fine compared to cameras on other phones at the time -- that is why everyone is comparing it to the iPhone 6 and not an older one.

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Here's my take. Unfortunately i doubt the M8 will be your dream phone, NOT because its NOT a great device, but if you had gone "straight to it from iphoneosphere", THEN maybe. However, now that you have experienced so much of what the Note 4 has to offer, AND u admit you are still, "semi in love with it", you will more than likely miss many of its features when you are using your M8. (Kinda a, "how you gonna keep them down on the farm, ONCE they've seen Paris" syndrome : ) Will you get over it? Maybe. Is it worth returning, only to maybe decide you like the Note 4 better? Then having to return M8 hassle and get the Note 4 again?! (And then, what if second Note 4 has issues? I wouldn't take THAT chance, sadly build qualities do differ & the Note 4 you have now is perfect : ) (As u can tell, this is NOT my first rodeo)...lol

Here's what i suggest: Get a new line of service with M8, try them "side by side" for as long as you can (which will depend how much into your 14 day return period are you on Note 4) and then return the one you like better. Its worth the 35.00 restocking fee and pro-rated service fees that a new line of service costs to be able to put your questions to rest (imho : )

I think in a side by side OWNER comparison is truly the only way to REALLY know for sure which will suit you better for the next year or so. Side by side video reviews are nice, but to me they help "rule out" reasons and in the past when i have gotten phones based on them, i'd be like, "snap, i didn't realize this or that" which, for the TRUE test, you really need to "set BOTH up as YOU use them" and take it from there.

BTC

Appreciate your input, and what you said makes perfect sense. If it you read up a few lines, after spending a good solid few hours with this phone, u interrupted...installed nova, textra, etc...installed totally sold and not going anywhere. Not even a bossy woman could tell me otherwise 😉

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thats why i got rid of my t mobile samsung. I liked the phone a lot but between TW and the t mobile crap i couldnt take it anymore. Thats the last carrier phone ive owned.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Make like I never made this thread lol....I'm sold sold sold.

This was a very interesting thread, lol.

I will be getting my Note on Monday. I am leaving behind an awesome Droid Maxx. Finally jumped on Verizon Edge with its new pricing and thought I would try a Note. I also use Nova launcher and have for some time. I never have a problem with Nove and even use it on my Tab 4 tablet.

My brother just switched from an iPhone after a number of years. He has the S5.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate your input, and what you said makes perfect sense. If it you read up a few lines, after spending a good solid few hours with this phone, u interrupted...installed nova, textra, etc...installed totally sold and not going anywhere. Not even a bossy woman could tell me otherwise 😉

Good man, you've made the right choice. There's so much to the Note 4. It'll keep me entertained for a long time I'd imagine. I'm discovering new stuff every day.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate your input, and what you said makes perfect sense. If it you read up a few lines, after spending a good solid few hours with this phone, u interrupted...installed nova, textra, etc...installed totally sold and not going anywhere. Not even a bossy woman could tell me otherwise ������

i interrupted? but, but but.... well, u can't expect me to read every line, can ya? i just "gather the gyst, and shoot off my mouth"... Before Texas, i was born & raised in B'klyn/Queens, and that's how we do it...lol Glad ur keeping Note 4, i got about zillion vids on it on my channel, if u can deal with all my ramblings, i have some pretty good tips in 'em... lol BTC

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

i interrupted? but, but but.... well, u can't expect me to read every line, can ya? i just "gather the gyst, and shoot off my mouth"... Before Texas, i was born & raised in B'klyn/Queens, and that's how we do it...lol Glad ur keeping Note 4, i got about zillion vids on it on my channel, if u can deal with all my ramblings, i have some pretty good tips in 'em... lol BTC

LOL, I think "u interrupted" was an auto correct mistake. :)

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had the M8 and it is a great phone. I sold mine to get the G3, then I went with the S5. I'll end up with the Note 4 after all.
M8 is just a redesigned stock android, so the lack of features kind of bores me.
I never thought that I'd actually really enjoy the new Samsung phones, but I do, a lot!

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
is there a link for the extra modes? because I have yet to come across it in my search...

On the camera? Open the camera app, on the bottom left click "modes", and then scroll down to the "download" button. It should take you to the Samsung store to download different modes :).

kinghu

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been iOS for a long time, still have a 5S and rMini, so appreciate what smoothness ours.

Whilst I don't have an issue with TW as the launcher, Nova is definitely smoother.

I looked in Application Manager at TW and that used around 450mb. Nova, by comparison, uses around 150mb. It's just way lighter.

Considering changing launchers doesn't affect TW features like SPen, multitasking, one-handed menus, etc, it's worth a try for anyone who is getting any lag. You can even theme Novs to look like TW icons.

Sent from my SM-N9100

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

I actually have not the slightest clue what "you interrupted" was even supposed to mean lol...predictive text been eating my food...sorry lol

DRaZO24

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I always had iPhones up to the 5 and this is my first Android note 4 ...haven't experienced any lag what so ever, everything seems lightening fast. I think camera is great deff took same if not better pictures than my iPhone. Only thing I find not perfect is the white balance. In lower light the whites turn yellowish but turning on flash fixes that.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I've been iOS for a long time, still have a 5S and rMini, so appreciate what smoothness ours.

Whilst I don't have an issue with TW as the launcher, Nova is definitely smoother.

I looked in Application Manager at TW and that used around 450mb. Nova, by comparison, uses around 150mb. It's just way lighter.

Considering changing launchers doesn't affect TW features like SPen, multitasking, one-handed menus, etc, it's worth a try for anyone who is getting any lag. You can even theme Novs to look like TW icons.

Sent from my SM-N9100
I have an old Galaxy S3 that I dusted off and started playing with. I downloaded the Google Launcher and the Google keyboard. And the phone was very snappy. So snappy in fact that if I had to use this as my daily phone, I wouldn't mind it at all.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87