What does the 'Awake' bar mean?

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before, but i have done searching and cant find a real answer.

When i check my battery settings before i goto bed, my 'Awake' bar is always a solid blue line for the entire day on battery. Never any gaps. Is this normal? I have seen screenshots of others where there are lots of thin line and gaps in their bar. So im guessing this isnt normal.

I am not using my device all day, actually the opposite, as i lock my phone at 9am and dont touch it again till 5pm. The screen is off during that time, yet the battery stats say its 'Awake' bar is solid for the whole day. I dont notice any significant battery drain as i always have 80%+ at 5pm when i start using it. but maybe it should be more? The only apps that say are using the battery hoggers are the 'cell idle' and 'android system'.

Has anyone else had the same issues or know any ideas/suggestions about what is going on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't be awake constantly. Sometimes certain apps can malfunction and keep the phone awake. But that usually takes a toll on the battery. If your battery life is otherwise normal, it may be glitch in the monitoring software. Does it persist after a reboot? How about after wiping the cache partition, which doesn't erase any personal data? Wipe cache partition: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910) | T-Mobile Support

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sure. If your phone is asleep, other functions can still be active. The easiest example is an alarm--the system has to wake itself up in order for an alarm to go off, regardless of whether or not the phone is locked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any time the screen shuts off, the phone is essentially asleep. So if the screen times out on its own, the phone then goes to sleep. Apps can still run in the background, and you can still get notifications. There's a deep sleep mode where wi-fi/mobile data radios are off and apps are turned off--it's possible to activate that with an app like Deep Sleep Battery Saver, but that can be buggy.