Why are apps disappearing from my home screen when they update?

coliee04

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Apps disappearing from my home screen when they update

I am sorry if this is already posted, but I could not find it.

It appears that when some of my apps are done updating, they disappear from my home screen. They are still in my app page, just not on the home screen where I placed them. If anyone knows of any fixes for this, that would be great! Thank you!

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Apps disappearing from my home screen when they update

Work around ; use Nova launcher and lock the home screen. Then they will stay.

coliee04

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

I would prefer to not have to use a launcher other than the one my phone came with.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

I am sorry if this is already posted, but I could not find it.

It appears that when some of my apps are done updating, they disappear from my home screen. They are still in my app page, just not on the home screen where I placed them. If anyone knows of any fixes for this, that would be great! Thank you!

This occurs when the developer changes some of the metadata of the app such as its classpath such as changing com.zynga.android.en.app-name to com.zynga.android.eng.app-name or com.zynga.android.en.appname. These are made up examples. It shouldn't happen that often and there are ways of handling this better (for the developer side) that would not cause the icon to dissappear. Basically, the location of the app icon changes directories and the homescreen can't display it anymore because it's moved.

If it happens consistently for some apps, then maybe something else is happening.

If you are an app developer reading this, check out this blog on how to avoid this situation (ie be nice to your users, don't annoy them) :
http://blog.danlew.net/2014/01/16/preserve-your-launchers-use-activity-alias/

coliee04

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

Thanks,

So far it appears to have happened to about 4 of my apps within the last two days. Its just annoying because I look at my screen and notice something is missing but can not remember what app should have been there in the first place! I Just took screen shots so I will hopefully remember what apps were where when another disapears!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Its just annoying because I look at my screen and notice something is missing but can not remember what app should have been there in the first place!

I know what you mean. I get so comfortable with knowing where the app launcher is on my home screen or folders) that if it gets moved or disappears, I forget what was there before.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown