03-31-2015 09:15 PM
53 123
tools
    Enable Developer options (Settings > General > About device, and tap on Build number several times until the message saying Developer options is enabled pops up). Then go Settings > General > Developer Options > Select runtime system, and you can switch from Dalvik to ART.

I've never tried it. Thank you for the heads up on that. I appreciate it.
    11-07-2014 02:44 PM
    I'm on Verizon, and am running Nova, I am really experiencing the lag issue bad, like almost every 15 seconds here. It doesn't matter if it's texting, chatting via Trillian, checking emails, Gmail or yahoo, playing"fives", or even getting ready to make a call. I'm getting frustrated.

But. . I'd like to know, what is common Between all our phones besides then being note 4s ? Could it be, an issue with Nova? And the touch wiz conflicting?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-07-2014 03:14 PM
    I'm on Verizon, and am running Nova, I am really experiencing the lag issue bad, like almost every 15 seconds here. It doesn't matter if it's texting, chatting via Trillian, checking emails, Gmail or yahoo, playing"fives", or even getting ready to make a call. I'm getting frustrated.

But. . I'd like to know, what is common Between all our phones besides then being note 4s ? Could it be, an issue with Nova? And the touch wiz conflicting?

Had similar issue, deleted nova and went back to touchwiz launcher, much batter and battery is improved.
    Try it for a day and see if you like it, don't think nova was drain in my case but Tesla unread.

swade8 likes this.
    11-07-2014 03:49 PM
    I've heard claims of better battery life and smoother performance. I've heard people say it adds nothing but longer reboot times (and it's true that reboot times take forever on ART). As I mentioned upthread, it appeared to have improved the recent apps button delay for me.
    For me, the only reason I went back to Dalvik was because every time I rebooted, it would 'optimize apps'. Every. Single. Time. But, if you don't reboot your device very much/at all, might be a good choice!
    boufa likes this.
    11-07-2014 05:00 PM
    I also have a note 4 ATT and still have lag. My wife's nexus 5 is silky smith compared to my N4. I would ditch the phone but I like the features and removable battery.
    11-07-2014 05:41 PM
    Well, I tried ART today and too many apps were force closing, so I went back to Dalvik. I think the apps have to be optimized to be able to run on ART. It works on some apps but not all apps is what I've read. I'm not sure, you may have to wipe the cache is some apps if they're force closing, but I didn't try that.
    11-07-2014 06:06 PM
    I just cleared the partition as suggested and things are going pretty smoothly.
    11-07-2014 06:32 PM
    I just cleared the partition as suggested and things are going pretty smoothly.
    What partition? Or did u mean cache

11-07-2014 10:35 PM
    Tried these, still seems a little leggy to me compared to my Note 3 and nexus 5. Not huge lag and not a problem, but I can tell. I've gone back to just turning animations off. That's the best solution for me.
    11-07-2014 10:41 PM
    What partition? Or did u mean cache

My bad, I followed step 1 in OP's post and wiped the cache partition.
    11-08-2014 07:04 AM
    Is there an easier way of clearing the cache partition than having to mimic a spider monkey and holding down 7 buttons while turning the phone on? My dexterity is not what it use to be.
    zkyevolved likes this.
    11-08-2014 08:22 AM
    I'm so over trying to fix the lag in these phones. I've been doing that since android came out. I'm going with a phone that has virtually no lag.
    11-08-2014 05:41 PM
    i think clearing the cache and disabling some of the apps got it to be faster
    11-09-2014 03:49 AM
    I'm not bragging, but I keep reading these posts, and I realize that minimal lag is a subjective thing... but I don't have any lag, except for the recent apps menu. This thing flies... really well. I have a bunch of apps on my phone and all... not a bit of lag. Up until this device, I hated the dialer. It seemed to me that it should be the fastest app on the phone, since it is a ... phone! But the Note 4 doesn't have even a moments hesitation.

I personally feel after reading a bunch of these posts that in many (but not likely all cases) it is things that we do to our phones that causes them to lag. Still might be unacceptable to you, and thats ok... just saying.

There is a patch floating around for the recent apps lag, but on AT&T I doubt we will see it until Lollipop.
    11-09-2014 09:53 AM
    I'm not bragging, but I keep reading these posts, and I realize that minimal lag is a subjective thing... but I don't have any lag, except for the recent apps menu. This thing flies... really well. I have a bunch of apps on my phone and all... not a bit of lag. Up until this device, I hated the dialer. It seemed to me that it should be the fastest app on the phone, since it is a ... phone! But the Note 4 doesn't have even a moments hesitation.

I personally feel after reading a bunch of these posts that in many (but not likely all cases) it is things that we do to our phones that causes them to lag. Still might be unacceptable to you, and thats ok... just saying.

There is a patch floating around for the recent apps lag, but on AT&T I doubt we will see it until Lollipop.
    Sorry, but I haven't done anything to cause lag on my phone. It lagged out of the box.

And I know this because my Note 3 and nexus 5 didn't/don't lag as much.
    11-09-2014 11:40 AM
    Had similar issue, deleted nova and went back to touchwiz launcher, much batter and battery is improved.
    Try it for a day and see if you like it, don't think nova was drain in my case but Tesla unread.

Instead of uninstalling Nova launcher, all I did was clear it from being my default launcher and went back to Touch wiz, and instantly I noticed, that all my lag issues disappeared. Yay, no more lag. So I can conclude, that for some of you possibly not everyone, that if you've tried all these suggestions add I did, and you have nova as your default launcher, try going back to your Touch wiz, reboot once, and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

I've been going strong now for 2 days and still no lag. For me, it was nova launcher, causing my lag.

Sent from The One and Only, Amazing---> Note 4
    11-10-2014 12:34 AM
    Interesting that the lag on my exhanged N4 is very minimum compared to the one I returned.
    I am using Touchwiz...installed my typical 80+ apps, haven't started Nova yet after 4 days now and everything continues to be smooth.

Differences from my first Note 4 (which lagged alot) setup ..
    1. Only disabled the ATT bloatware apps and just hid the Samsung bloatware in a folder instead of disabling them.
    2. Haven't started using S-Health stuff yet...that may be the culprit? Just guessing.
    3. Ignoring memory management and just letting Android decide which apps should be in memory or not.
    4. Checked the notification setting of each app as I launched them for the first time. I think this helped reduce lag also but maybe battery life more.

Those are the differences from my prior Note 4 setup and the lack of lagging is great!
    At some point I'll return to using S-HEALTH and alternate launchers and see if lagging returns.
    11-10-2014 02:25 AM
    I see no lag to worry about, but I do note on researching this on T-Mobile's site that there was also a warning. Did you see any of this?

"If developer options are turned on, it can cause red border on the screen, errors when connecting to computers, or other problems."

Developer options: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910) | T-Mobile Support
    11-14-2014 05:34 AM
    @swade8 :
    Great to know it worked for you too, Now i am playing with diff setting, maybe that can help you too if would like to use Nova.
    With Nova you can keep the developer animation to 1.x and Nova animation ( look and feel) to fast, you will have lag free note 4 with Nova.

However i still think Nova is causing battery drain, doesn't show up in Gsam as much but tesla is causing this, as if i uninstall it battery life is improved.
    I am back to Nova for timebeing, till i find other alternative.
    11-14-2014 06:33 AM
    My lag, I think, has been reduced. I've dropped Nova for now. Turned off animations, etc... It also may be that I've just gotten used to this phone and are not comparing it to my other devices (since the note 4 really does it all for me).

I think nova might not place nicely with tw on my phone for some reason...
    11-14-2014 08:12 AM
    I dunno. I'm running Nova with Tesla notify, and I am not experiencing any lag or battery drain.

I may switch back for a few days now that I've run Nova for a while. But I have not noticed any dramatic change in battery life since going with Nova.
    11-14-2014 08:31 AM
    Thanks everyone. I'm glad I'm not crazy about the recent lag, and it's reassuring to know that the patch will fix it, whenever ATT gives it to us.

I tried the steps in the OP post but the recents lag is still there.
    11-16-2014 07:46 AM
    I noticed issues with lag on my Verizon Note 4. I tried changing the animation in the developers options to 0.5x but not sure that helped much. What seemed to resolve the issue for me was going into S Voice settings and turning OFF Voice Wake-Up. Open via the home key was already off. This seemingly made a huge change but it's only been a few days. I also played with "Force GPU rendering" but not sure if that helped much or not yet. Let me know if this helps anyone. This doesn't really address the lag for recent apps but I don't experience lag anywhere else now.
    12-31-2014 11:36 AM
    The lag in the 'recent apps button' is not what you think. The real problem is simple to fix - it is the Google Talkback application.

Even though it is disabled in accessibility, the service runs and causes lag. Go into applications->All and locate Google Talkback. Force close then disable it (if you installed updates, uninstall them first then disable).

This will rid you of the issue with no mumbo-jumbo (clearing cache, changing to ART, etc).
    03-27-2015 05:54 PM
    Got my note 4 a few days ago, it cant play basic games like candy crush for my than 10 mins without dropping the frame rate, very poor from samsung, I rooted and disabled DVFS, now games are fast for me all the time.
    03-29-2015 06:30 AM
53 123