Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Fixing the lag

BJM9282

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
So I'm not sure which one of the following suggestions was the one that did it, but after doing the following things, nearly all of the lag is gone from my device, even when I press the recent apps key. I have the AT&T variant and one of my biggest complaints has been the random lag and the lag that was always apparent when pressing the recent apps key.

This is just a mixture of various tips I've seen on the forum and after doing all of them, the Note 4 screams! I noticed that the recent apps key lag went away only after I disabled a bunch of apps, so I'm not sure which app would've been causing it to lag.

Here are the steps I took:

1. I wiped the cache partition by turning the phone off, then holding the volume up button along with the home and power button.

2. I use Nova Launcher and under the "Look and feel" settings, I have Scroll Speed and Animation Speed set to "Faster than light"

3. Under Developer Options, I have all animations set to 1x.

4. Under Application Manager, I have disabled the following apps:
AT&T FamilyMap, AT&T Hot Spots, AT&T Live, AT&T Locker, AT&T Mail, AT&T Mobile Locate, AT&T Navigator, AT&T Ready2GO, AT&T Smart Wi-Fi, Caller Name ID, Device Help, DirectShareManager, DriveMode, Famigo, Flipboard, Games, Hancom Office 2014, Instagram, Keeper, Messages (I use EvolveSMS), S Health, S Voice, TalkBack, Wallet (ISIS), and YP.

Just wanted to let you guys know what worked for me and hopefully it'll work for others who may be experiencing lag.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fixing the lag

The lag on the recent apps button is a known issue. It has been fixed on several versions of the device... sadly, not AT&T yet. There is an update floating around that improves the battery life and tweaks the recent apps lag.

I am hoping that either a) AT&T has the update and is bloating it for release (I mean Testing it for release) or b) AT&T doesn't feel that its enough of a problem and a big enough of a fix to waste time with, because certainly any fix now, would also be part of a 5.0 update... so they may be skipping this fix. I personally feel that this is the most likely scenario.

TMo is the only US carrier to get and release the update so far. Annoying, yes, a little, but no phone is perfect.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

The lag on the recent apps button is a known issue. It has been fixed on several versions of the device... sadly, not AT&T yet. There is an update floating around that improves the battery life and tweaks the recent apps lag.

I am hoping that either a) AT&T has the update and is bloating it for release (I mean Testing it for release) or b) AT&T doesn't feel that its enough of a problem and a big enough of a fix to waste time with, because certainly any fix now, would also be part of a 5.0 update... so they may be skipping this fix. I personally feel that this is the most likely scenario.

TMo is the only US carrier to get and release the update so far. Annoying, yes, a little, but no phone is perfect.
The update to Tmo did fix the recent apps lag.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I am on ATT and have no lag on the multitask button. A friend of mine has a Sprint version and there is easily a 2-3 second lag time when hitting the button. It is crazy. My ATT version has no lag anywhere. Smoothest and fastest phone ever.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm on AT&T and I've essentially done all of this -- and I also switched from Dalvik to ART -- and any recent apps delay is virtually non-existent now. It was either wiping the cache partition or switching to ART that reduced the recent apps delay, not using or setting anything in Nova, tweaking animations, or turning off bloatware.

Last edited:

BJM9282

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

I'm on AT&T and I've essentially done all of this -- and I also switched from Dalvik to ART -- and any recent apps delay is virtually non-existent now. It was either wiping the cache partition or switching to ART that reduced the recent apps delay, not using or setting anything in Nova, tweaking animations, or turning off bloatware.

Interesting how different things work for different people. While wiping the cache helped with the lag everywhere else, it wasn't until I disabled those apps that the lag was gone from my recent apps button. I tried switching to ART, but I can't stand how it reloads every time you restart the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

On my att there is not normal lag but a few times playing simple games like candy crush and stick figure sniper game I have seen it lag and I dont know why. this thing should scream.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

I tried switching to ART, but I can't stand how it reloads every time you restart the phone.

Yeah, knowing Dalvik is gone in Lollipop made me want to switch to ART but I had that issue as well. Waiting for all the apps to 'update' with every reboot was a no-go for ART under 4.4.4.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

So I'm not sure which one of the following suggestions was the one that did it, but after doing the following things, nearly all of the lag is gone from my device, even when I press the recent apps key. I have the AT&T variant and one of my biggest complaints has been the random lag and the lag that was always apparent when pressing the recent apps key.

This is just a mixture of various tips I've seen on the forum and after doing all of them, the Note 4 screams! I noticed that the recent apps key lag went away only after I disabled a bunch of apps, so I'm not sure which app would've been causing it to lag.

Here are the steps I took:

1. I wiped the cache partition by turning the phone off, then holding the volume up button along with the home and power button.

2. I use Nova Launcher and under the "Look and feel" settings, I have Scroll Speed and Animation Speed set to "Faster than light"

3. Under Developer Options, I have all animations set to 1x.

4. Under Application Manager, I have disabled the following apps:
AT&T FamilyMap, AT&T Hot Spots, AT&T Live, AT&T Locker, AT&T Mail, AT&T Mobile Locate, AT&T Navigator, AT&T Ready2GO, AT&T Smart Wi-Fi, Caller Name ID, Device Help, DirectShareManager, DriveMode, Famigo, Flipboard, Games, Hancom Office 2014, Instagram, Keeper, Messages (I use EvolveSMS), S Health, S Voice, TalkBack, Wallet (ISIS), and YP.

Just wanted to let you guys know what worked for me and hopefully it'll work for others who may be experiencing lag.

Step 3. Isn't the animation set to 1x out of the box??

BJM9282

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is, but I had tried 0.5 and totally turning them off and I was just pointing out that, for me at least, 1x combined with the "faster than light" Nova setting seemed to work best. With 0.5 or no animations whatsoever, I was experiencing something like stutter (sometimes, not always) when there should've been an animation, but I pick up on things like that really easily, so for others, different settings may work better for them.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I have Window animation scale turned off and the other two animation scales set to 0.5x (with faster than light on the Nova settings). That has been butter for me, but who knows, at some point I feel like I'm getting into voodoo territory. Re: the reboot times on ART -- yes, it's horrible waiting for the apps to be compiled, and the device gets hotter than Hades, but I don't reboot very often. No need.

There was someone around here who was carping about having to tweak or install anything to remedy perceived lag, and complaining that TouchWiz should be perfect out of the box. He's since traded in his Note 4 for something else. No, it wasn't an iPhone, but that type of "perfect out of the box" thinking is for people who are prime iPhone candidates. Android is all about tweaking, and being able to tweak, to get the device running the way you want.

BJM9282

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

I have Window animation scale turned off and the other two animation scales set to 0.5x (with faster than light on the Nova settings). That has been butter for me, but who knows, at some point I feel like I'm getting into voodoo territory. Re: the reboot times on ART -- yes, it's horrible waiting for the apps to be compiled, and the device gets hotter than Hades, but I don't reboot very often. No need.

There was someone around here who was carping about having to tweak or install anything to remedy perceived lag, and complaining that TouchWiz should be perfect out of the box. He's since traded in his Note 4 for something else. No, it wasn't an iPhone, but that type of "perfect out of the box" thinking is for people who are prime iPhone candidates. Android is all about tweaking, and being able to tweak, to get the device running the way you want.

I agree with this. I came to the Note 4 after 6 years of iPhones and I really love being able to tweak and customize everything. I'm totally enjoying the phone and I'm willing to wait for lollipop to be able to take RAW photos and to be able to totally uninstall carrier bloatware. Also, the fact that ART will be the default is a great thing. The only thing I'll always miss about the iPhone is iMessage and being able to send full sized uncompressed photos and videos to people.

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site

The update to Tmo did fix the recent apps lag.

When did this update come out? I bought my Note 4 on 10/19 from T-Mobile and a recent checked doesn't show any updates. The lag thing is starting to work my nerves.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

When did this update come out? I bought my Note 4 on 10/19 from T-Mobile and a recent checked doesn't show any updates. The lag thing is starting to work my nerves.

It was waiting when I first setup my phone. So I would say 10/15 is when I received it.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Here is my build #

5c88d2185a3cf382b1f433b6d134dc15.jpg

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I got my Note 4 on 11-3-14 and right away I had to update it. What kind of lag are getting? The only lag I see is when I try to place an app from the drawer onto the phone. It doesn't lag on my LG G3 when I tried it there so something is odd with my Note 4. This is the only place where the G3 out performance the Note 4, everything else the Note 4 is faster and no lag. I am using Nova launcher.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

You'd gain more storage than you know what to do with.

Well i didnt disable apps to gain storage, but people seem so worried about disabling apps i wanted to know what they were worried about and what facts if any do they have that supports any claims that disabling apps is dangerous or causes problems

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173