Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Fixing the lag

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fixing the lag

I'm on AT&T and I've essentially done all of this -- and I also switched from Dalvik to ART -- and any recent apps delay is virtually non-existent now. It was either wiping the cache partition or switching to ART that reduced the recent apps delay, not using or setting anything in Nova, tweaking animations, or turning off bloatware.

I have a Verizon Note 4.....how are you switching to ART from Dalvik?

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I have a Verizon Note 4.....how are you switching to ART from Dalvik?

Enable Developer options (Settings > General > About device, and tap on Build number several times until the message saying Developer options is enabled pops up). Then go Settings > General > Developer Options > Select runtime system, and you can switch from Dalvik to ART.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Enable Developer options (Settings > General > About device, and tap on Build number several times until the message saying Developer options is enabled pops up). Then go Settings > General > Developer Options > Select runtime system, and you can switch from Dalvik to ART.

What does this actually do for performance?

Posted via the Android Central App

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

What does this actually do for performance?

I've heard claims of better battery life and smoother performance. I've heard people say it adds nothing but longer reboot times (and it's true that reboot times take forever on ART). As I mentioned upthread, it appeared to have improved the recent apps button delay for me.

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I've never tried it. Thank you for the heads up on that. I appreciate it. :D

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, and am running Nova, I am really experiencing the lag issue bad, like almost every 15 seconds here. It doesn't matter if it's texting, chatting via Trillian, checking emails, Gmail or yahoo, playing"fives", or even getting ready to make a call. I'm getting frustrated.

But. . I'd like to know, what is common Between all our phones besides then being note 4s ? Could it be, an issue with Nova? And the touch wiz conflicting?

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

I'm on Verizon, and am running Nova, I am really experiencing the lag issue bad, like almost every 15 seconds here. It doesn't matter if it's texting, chatting via Trillian, checking emails, Gmail or yahoo, playing"fives", or even getting ready to make a call. I'm getting frustrated.

But. . I'd like to know, what is common Between all our phones besides then being note 4s ? Could it be, an issue with Nova? And the touch wiz conflicting?

Had similar issue, deleted nova and went back to touchwiz launcher, much batter and battery is improved.
Try it for a day and see if you like it, don't think nova was drain in my case but Tesla unread.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

I've heard claims of better battery life and smoother performance. I've heard people say it adds nothing but longer reboot times (and it's true that reboot times take forever on ART). As I mentioned upthread, it appeared to have improved the recent apps button delay for me.

For me, the only reason I went back to Dalvik was because every time I rebooted, it would 'optimize apps'. Every. Single. Time. But, if you don't reboot your device very much/at all, might be a good choice!

thi

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

I also have a note 4 ATT and still have lag. My wife's nexus 5 is silky smith compared to my N4. I would ditch the phone but I like the features and removable battery.

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Well, I tried ART today and too many apps were force closing, so I went back to Dalvik. I think the apps have to be optimized to be able to run on ART. It works on some apps but not all apps is what I've read. I'm not sure, you may have to wipe the cache is some apps if they're force closing, but I didn't try that.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Tried these, still seems a little leggy to me compared to my Note 3 and nexus 5. Not huge lag and not a problem, but I can tell. I've gone back to just turning animations off. That's the best solution for me.

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Is there an easier way of clearing the cache partition than having to mimic a spider monkey and holding down 7 buttons while turning the phone on? My dexterity is not what it use to be.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm so over trying to fix the lag in these phones. I've been doing that since android came out. I'm going with a phone that has virtually no lag.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm not bragging, but I keep reading these posts, and I realize that minimal lag is a subjective thing... but I don't have any lag, except for the recent apps menu. This thing flies... really well. I have a bunch of apps on my phone and all... not a bit of lag. Up until this device, I hated the dialer. It seemed to me that it should be the fastest app on the phone, since it is a ... phone! But the Note 4 doesn't have even a moments hesitation.

I personally feel after reading a bunch of these posts that in many (but not likely all cases) it is things that we do to our phones that causes them to lag. Still might be unacceptable to you, and thats ok... just saying.

There is a patch floating around for the recent apps lag, but on AT&T I doubt we will see it until Lollipop.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm not bragging, but I keep reading these posts, and I realize that minimal lag is a subjective thing... but I don't have any lag, except for the recent apps menu. This thing flies... really well. I have a bunch of apps on my phone and all... not a bit of lag. Up until this device, I hated the dialer. It seemed to me that it should be the fastest app on the phone, since it is a ... phone! But the Note 4 doesn't have even a moments hesitation.

I personally feel after reading a bunch of these posts that in many (but not likely all cases) it is things that we do to our phones that causes them to lag. Still might be unacceptable to you, and thats ok... just saying.

There is a patch floating around for the recent apps lag, but on AT&T I doubt we will see it until Lollipop.
Sorry, but I haven't done anything to cause lag on my phone. It lagged out of the box.

And I know this because my Note 3 and nexus 5 didn't/don't lag as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca