Do I need new NFC Tags for the Note 4?

TomBrown1965

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Note 4 and NFC Tags

Greetings. Myself and my wife just upgraded phones. I got the S5 and she got the Note 4. One problem we are having is using the TecTiles that we have (they worked with my S3 and her Note). The TecTiles work fine with my S5 but not with the Note 4. It says "invalid data type" or something like that. Do we need to get another type of NFC tile/tag for the Note 4? If so, will the new type work with the S5?

Yes, I did a search but did not find any useful information.

Thanks in advance.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 4 and NFC Tags

Yeah, the tec tiles that I got for my Note 2 don't work with the Note 4. Here's a web article talking about Samsung releasing a v.2 Tec Tile: Samsung releases TecTiles 2 NFC tags for Galaxy S 4, available for $15 today

Here's a Samsung web page about them: Samsung TecTiles But the "buy now" link is broken.

Here they are on Amazon: Amazon.com: TecTiles 2 (5-Pack), Programmable Near Field Communication Tags for Samsung NFC Galaxy S4: Cell Phones & Accessories ($10 for 5) You can also find them on eBay. I haven't purchased any yet but I plan to.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I just received the Tec Tiles 2 that I ordered off eBay, and they work fine with the latest version of the Tec Tiles app.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

I was always curious about the need for Tec Tiles.... what are some of the things you guys use them for??

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

You can use them to perform certain functions when you are in the car i.e. launch SiriusXM, turn off Wifi, enable Bluetooth etc. When at home, you can have it turn on Wifi, place the phone on mute, check in on Facebook etc. Its all about imagination.

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Not sure what the difference between TecTiles and other NFC tags are, but I've been using these tags just fine. Combined with the Trigger app, I've been able to conveniently adjust brightness, wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS settings before/after leaving work/home.

TomBrown1965

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

I was always curious about the need for Tec Tiles.... what are some of the things you guys use them for??
We use them mainly to toggle wifi off/on.

But, here is an example.
We have a tectile on the back door frame. As we leave the house, we use it to turn off (toggle) the wifi, then turn on (toggle) the bluetooth and place the phone into driving mode. I have another one on the back side of my sun visor (under the vanity mirror cover) that does the same thing. And since they just toggle off/on instead of turning off/turning on, it just "reverses" everything.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

We use them mainly to toggle wifi off/on.

But, here is an example.
We have a tectile on the back door frame. As we leave the house, we use it to turn off (toggle) the wifi, then turn on (toggle) the bluetooth and place the phone into driving mode. I have another one on the back side of my sun visor (under the vanity mirror cover) that does the same thing. And since they just toggle off/on instead of turning off/turning on, it just "reverses" everything.

I see how that could be useful! I guess I have no use for them though because I never turn my WiFi off and I never turn my Bluetooth on. To each their own!

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I have two on my car visor. One to toggle wifi on/off and bluetooth off/on, like TomBrown1965. The other one sends a text to my wife when I'm leaving work (time varies every day), saying, "Hi, beautiful! I'm in my car and on my way home. Call if you need anything."

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

I have two on my car visor. One to toggle wifi on/off and bluetooth off/on, like TomBrown1965. The other one sends a text to my wife when I'm leaving work (time varies every day), saying, "Hi, beautiful! I'm in my car and on my way home. Call if you need anything."

That is adorable! +1 to you, sir.

whitecollar

May 5, 2011
Visit site

For a variety of reasons I have to have a landline. So I use the Tectile to turn call forwarding on at night from my cell to the landline. Then I shut off the cell phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci