Why did you leave Apple for the Note 4

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious to why people left Apple to get the note 4? What made you transition over to Android?

Posted via the Android Central App

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
In order of importance to me:
1. Stylus - The very reason I considered the Note 4 in the first place.
2. Larger Screen(though the 6 plus did address this).
3. QHD Graphics.
4. Cheap, Upgradeable Storage Space.

geoffr86

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I went to the S5 from iPhone 5 and now the Note 4.

biggest reasons for changing from Apple to Android:

Expandable storage - why pay Apple another £80 to double the storage when I quadrupled the 16gb on my S5 for £20 with a Micro SD card?
Bigger screen - this has since been addressed with the iPhone 6+ but it doesn't take advantage of it like the Note series does.
Customization - every iphone looks and works the same bar the wallpaper. Android fits around me and can change when I change.
Freedom - I love being able to use my Note 4 as usb mass storage, and not being tied to iTunes like a disobedient dog is great.

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Things I noted from changing from iPhone to N4 are:

-I can expand memory to 128gb which I did, BUT why would I want to store things in the SD card when it will LAG to open things up from there? If I knew of this annoyance, I would have payed extra for BUILT IN memory than have an external SD slot.

-Camera for video is not smooth on the note 4 compared to iPhone. When I was recording last night, I was zooming in while on record and the thing zooms in real bad. It zooms in very rough, you can see the steps it takes to zoom in, unlike a smooth zoom in transition like iPhone. Disappointing.

-Has way too many non realistic use of features. Not many people will use at least 25% of things that it comes preloaded with. A shame.

-Touchwiz really sucks. This is my first experience with TW and it's horrible...sad that I have to put on a launcher for samsung's unattractive UI. (my 2 cents)

I might go back to iPhone or just try the NExus 6 when it comes out.

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
True multi tasking...and honestly, inventory.

If the 6+ wasn't so hard to get, I wasn't interested in doing any pre orders or anything, I most likely wouldn't be typing this. The note kept interesting me, but if I could have gotten my hands on a 6+ sooner...I probably would have just kept it. However, I was instantly annoyed when the 6+ was announced and didn't make good use of that big screen.

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I was an Android user from the OG Droid and really enjoyed it. Ended up very annoyed when I bought the X2 which was buggy as all hell and became very disillusioned with the lack of updates to fix the phone. It turned me off so bad that I preordered the iPhone 5 the day it came out. I loved the 5 at first but kept wishing I could do all the things I used to be able to do on my android phones. There were lots of pluses to the iPhone and I wont bash the iPhone because it is a great device... for what it is.

So after seeing the 6 and 6+ I was very underwhelmed and decided to look back into android phones. Immediately the Note 4 caught my eye because of the larger screen, the quality of the screen and multitasking abilities. The $200 offer was a huge plus. Then factoring in the difference in cost of adding additional storage price was a huge bonus. After making sure the Note 4 was a Samsung flagship phone and was likely to be supported for the next 2 years I made the jump and haven't regretted it. I've found many more reasons since switching that would have made it to the list of why Note 4 over iPhone but the screen resolution, size and multitasking were the factors in my switch.

anon9173723

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had every iPhone since they launched iPhone 1. I longed for the day Apple would release a large display and when they announced the 6 Plus...they BLEW IT in my mind. I'm still a Mac user but have given up on all things iOS for these reasons:

1. Cannot tolerate the fade in/fade out animations of iOS 7 & 8. It makes the iPhones and iPads seem very slow and in all honesty difficult to look at. I am not talking about the reduce motion option either that got some people physically sick.

2. From a hardware standpoint the rounded smooth sides on the iPhone 6 is so difficult to believe that Apple actually designed and released that and didn't notice how hard it is to grip the phone without it popping out of your hands.... WOW!

3. No built-in stylus on a 5.5" and bigger display is like handing someone a legal pad with no pen and saying "here...write this down".

4. Flexibility and customization... need I say more?

5. Every iPhone I ever owned had touch screen issues, meaning that when I would select a certain thing on the screen nothing whatsoever happened.

6. Removable battery

7. SD Card

8. Notification light

9. Better camera on Note 4

10. Better display on Note 4

Jumpman89

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
- better battery life
- expandable storage
- better screen
- more customizable operating system
- more rugged, less childish design
- better camera
- Google intergration
- stylus

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Value for money.

You can play x is better on iPhone, but y is better on the Note all day but ultimately they're both excellent devices with very little real world difference between them.

iPhone's just don't do anything to justify the significantly higher price tag IMO.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Why leave Apple devices in the rear view....is that a serous question?

I stayed using, GET THIS, an old as dirt, iPhone 4 not a 4S but an iPhone 4 because Apple did absolutely nothing from 4 through 5S to compel me to change....I repeat....nothing. I waited it out hoping that a 6 or a 6+ would represent a meaningful upgrade into something like.....oh lets say even the early 2000's!!!! But no....they are big overgrown versions of the same drivel Apple has been burping out for the last few years. Let the Apple fan boys drool all over themselves for that sort of behavior from Apple....I am done.

I completely agree with the comment above about being tied to iTunes like some disobedient dog as well. Done with that too except to support my daughter's music files.

As for more specific reasons:
- still after all these years forcing customers to choose their storage on day one and then live with it is premeditated and insidious and is not the way a hardware supplier that actually cared should treat his customers.
- the stilted and completely archaic feature set of the device is a joke in 2014. Frankly I think anybody still willing to buy into that nonsense has got blinders on
- the physical design of the new devices which has already been mentioned in this thread is a laugh...a complete miss and something I would have more likely expected from some company buried thousands of miles away from the western world.

Maybe this is easier to see for those of us that have been devoted Apple users across platforms for years and years now as we have just lived through the iTunes 11.4 mess and many of us are now stuck with Yosemite as an OS for our Mac computers...another joke. In truth much of what the company is doing now is so reminiscent of the things that Microsoft had done for years driving customers to Apple in the process. That is to me scary as all get out.

Is Android perfect?...is a Note 4 perfect?...Hardly. But at least it allows me to configure and use the device the way I want to use it and it is predicated on the functionality we expect in 2014, not 2004. Sure I will struggle along with some things for awhile and will probably find ways eventually to stripe away some of the things I don't like in a Note 4, keeping the rest. But at least I can do it. There is simply no way to turn an iPhone 6 or a 6+ into a contemporary 2014 device of any sort and when you have what is going on in their computer OS world as a backdrop....it is not a surprise.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Went from an Iphone 4 to a Samsung S3
Went from S3 back to Iphone and got an Iphone 5 (the main reason was the horrible battery life in the S3)
Went from Iphone 5 to Note 3 and will be going from Note 3 to Note 4

Reasons why I left the Apple ecosystem:

1. Apple has the device locked down. Cannot do anything with customization.
2. UI is dated and consists of folders and icons. Android UI is more modern.
3. Bigger screen and S pen
4. Display is better.
5. Battery life is decent.
6 Removable SD storage. I can now store all my music and videos on my SD card.

emerrow

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm sort of in the same boat as logik brooklyn above. I was looking to upgrade to an iphone 6, but there were/are none in my area. The only ones I could find were the 128GB versions which I was not about to buy.

One of my coworkers showed me his note 4 and was telling me all the cool stuff it could do. I was pretty blown away by all the stuff he was rattling off. Will I use all of the features? Probably not. But it's cool having them.

In short, I left apple and went with the note because of inventory limitations in my area.
I'm staying with the note because:
Stylus and drawing apps - I really like to draw and doodle. Having the S-Pen and s-note and sketchbook is really cool and fun.
Camera - I make my living as a video producer so the camera in my new phone was very important. The Note 4 totally delivers! The difference between the 6+ and the note 4 are very minute differences to me. I've been pretty happy with the camera.
Screen Size - I didn't plan on upgrading to a huge screen. I went from an iphone 5 to the note 4. At first, I thought the note 4 may turn out to be too big for my liking. But now I'm totally sold. I love the screen space, I love the size of the phone and when I pick up an iphone 4-5s I immediately wonder how I didn't ruin my eyes having to look at all that small text/pictures.
Apps - android gives me all the same apps (outside of apple's own apps, itunes, imessage, etc.) I need to maintain my productivity level.
Storage space - as mentioned many times before, the note lets you add more storage space if you feel the need
Removable battery - I may never take advantage of the removable battery, but I like knowing that if my battery dies, my phone is not necessarily dead.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember which android but I left iPhone after 4S, I just had enough knowing iPhone 5 didn't bring anything new to the table.

To be fair. I get it some people treat their phones exactly what it is, a phone. LOL For me, it's a toy and android gives me that ability to play with it.

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the OG Droid and the Incredible and I wasn't very happy with either. Very buggy. I switched to Apple and have been there since. It did everything it was supposed to very well. But I didn't want to upgrade from a 5 for the same phone but with a bigger screen, better camera and fingerprint scanner. I wanted something different that felt like an upgrade. The Note certainly has been that. It doesn't do everything it says it does perfectly (the iPhone usually did) but its small stuff (my spotify screen doesn't always appear on the lock screen so I can control music while I'm listening to the app, and when I pause it from my headphones it starts the music app even though it isn't even open.) But I'm glad I switched so far.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the Note 4 YET. I have the moto x but the reason for leaving apple are nearly the same as everyone else.

Customization
iOS is really the same as it was 4 years ago only now with its worse, buggy, slow etc

I want the Note for the s-pen and all the features that come along with that.
Cheaper Storage

And, I did have the 6+ and the 6 for about 2 weeks each before taking them back to Apple.
The 6 screen isn't big enough, and the 6+ is WAY UNBALANCED, it's Top Heavy and feels like it wants to back flip at any point in time. Not to mention, the new iphones both feel like cheap crap. No longer have the chamfered edges or a good weighty feel to them.

Android isn't perfect, but Apple just seems to be stuck in the mud with their wheels spinning.
Handoff etc is a cool feature IF you have a reason for it. but I don't start spread sheets on tablet and need to handoff to my mac...
The ONLY thing I miss from Apple is iMessage because it doesn't compress photos sent to other iPhones, and Hangouts SUCKS. The whole hangouts, google voice and all that is a complete mess. Even the writers here said it was a total Train Wreck.
Swipe was one of the biggest things i LOVE about android. Apple's implementation of swipe Horrible and Useless.

I want the note 4 now, but I love the moto X (2014) and it will hold me over until the Note 4 gets Android L and a patch or two to fix everything after the initial update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante