01-18-2015 05:25 PM
112 12345
tools
    Just an opinion from an old fart who has seen many changes over the years in the way we pay.
    I am just trying to get Wallet and Softcard to work on my AT&T HTC One and discovered I needed a new SIM
    I come from a time when credit cards were not accepted at grocery stores; write a check or pay cash.
    Stores had their own credit cards, gasoline companies had theirs, Visa and MasterCard were unheard of.
    Slowly, things changed and one could use the same credit card (Visa, MasterCard) at most places.
    What a relief it was to get rid of all those separate charge cards and the separate bills.
    There is a push from stores to go back to their own credit cards (Kohl's, Target, Walmart) and I hate it.
    And those damn loyalty cards. At least 20 and counting. Even the smaller keyring cards are a PIA.
    I've put all my loyalty cards on an app on my phone. If the store can't read theirs, I key in my phone number.
    I'm looking forward to the wider adoption of Tap and Pay, and I don't care what system wins out.
    I'm not going to get rid of my smartphone, but I would certainly like to reduce all the crap I have to carry in my wallet.
    It will happen. Perhaps some day the info will be embedded in a ring on one's finger rather than on the phone.
    I hope I live to see it. In the meanwhile, I'm getting rid of as many credit cards as I can. I want a thinner wallet.
    11-14-2014 08:42 AM
    Half of my cards have emv chips in them

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I have 2 Citi Bank cards, Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Comerica, Amex & Discover and none of them are EMV chip cards.
    11-14-2014 09:04 AM
    I have 2 Citi Bank cards, Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Comerica, Amex & Discover and none of them are EMV chip cards.
    I have 2 citi with EMV, 2 chase with EMV , an Amex and 1-3 more with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-14-2014 09:06 AM
    I am using Softcard vs Google wallet for the simple fact that I get the proper points on my CC while using Softcard. google wallet uses a dummy MasterCard which then shows all my transaction as a business purchase. Thus, I dont get the proper point on my Amex. Functionally, I have seen no difference in using each of them.
    Just starting to use both and testing shows you are correct, the Wallet purchases show up as "Wallet B" on Amex and are categorized as "Business Services", which lowers or eliminates the rebate points. On Softcard, the purchase shows up exactly as it is. Wallet then sends me an email for each purchase, in addition to listing all the purchases on my phone. I don't want or need that.
    And each time I have used Wallet, I get a message on my phone's screen that the transaction could not be confirmed. Klutzy. Could be my phone, could be the terminal, could be the way it works, but I don't like it. Softcard to Amex seems more direct and more streamlined. I'll just keep Wallet around for transferring money.
    11-15-2014 01:37 PM
    I have 2 citi with EMV, 2 chase with EMV , an Amex and 1-3 more with it.

If you travel overseas that's the reason you have so many EMV chip cards. You're definitely not the norm, I am. To date banks have issued EMV chip cards to less than 5% of account holders.
    11-15-2014 02:06 PM
    If you travel overseas that's the reason you have so many EMV chip cards. You're definitely not the norm, I am. To date banks have issued EMV chip cards to less than 5% of account holders.
    Your the norm? Lol I haven't left the country in a while. That's a lie ... All citi tank you preferred cards have them and simplicity cards. The Chase sapphire preferred also has one. The American Express everyday card also has one.

Note I am also a forum member on myfico.com which is s forum about anything credit related and do quite research in which cards I apply for

11-15-2014 07:24 PM
    Your the norm? Lol I haven't left the country in a while. That's a lie ... All citi tank you preferred cards have them and simplicity cards. The Chase sapphire preferred also has one. The American Express everyday card also has one.

Note I am also a forum member on myfico.com which is s forum about anything credit related and do quite research in which cards I apply for

Like I said, less than 5% of account holders in the U.S. have been issued EMV chip cards. I'm in the credit card processing business.
    11-15-2014 09:16 PM
    ..Softcard sucks lol Google wallet all the way. Rather trust Google with my credit cards then softcard

You mean ISIS sucks lol

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4
    11-16-2014 01:02 AM
    Just starting to use both and testing shows you are correct, the Wallet purchases show up as "Wallet B" on Amex and are categorized as "Business Services", which lowers or eliminates the rebate points. On Softcard, the purchase shows up exactly as it is. Wallet then sends me an email for each purchase, in addition to listing all the purchases on my phone. I don't want or need that.
    And each time I have used Wallet, I get a message on my phone's screen that the transaction could not be confirmed. Klutzy. Could be my phone, could be the terminal, could be the way it works, but I don't like it. Softcard to Amex seems more direct and more streamlined. I'll just keep Wallet around for transferring money.
    This is what I'm referring to. There is no clear "best'' when it comes to mobile payment options. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. So how do we eliminate one over the other to move mobile payments on Android ahead? I don't think you can.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
    11-16-2014 01:27 AM
    I read that Google is doing away with wallet.
    11-16-2014 03:12 AM
    Like I said, less than 5% of account holders in the U.S. have been issued EMV chip cards. I'm in the credit card processing business.
    Yet you don't know all new citi thank you preferred, simplicity, chase Sapphire preferred, American express everyday, Barclay arrival plus card (I think that's the name), I also have a chase freedom with emv, and there is a few others all with emv chips inside. You might be "in the business" but I'll guarantee more then 5%

11-16-2014 03:33 AM
    This is what I'm referring to. There is no clear "best'' when it comes to mobile payment options. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. So how do we eliminate one over the other to move mobile payments on Android ahead? I don't think you can.

Yes we can so we can get traction lol.... Softcard and wallet are doomed otherwise and will be a footnote compared to Apple pay which came after

11-16-2014 03:35 AM
    Think it was the Wallet API for developers that Google will end
    Wallet remains. For now, anyway.
    Seems like Google got their Glass kicked, folks losing interest.
    11-16-2014 05:11 AM
    I read an article about that. The way I understood it was the Google Wallet wasn't going to be supported by online retailers anymore. Meaning when you go to checkout, you can't choose to pay with Google Wallet like you could with a service like PayPal.

11-16-2014 06:04 AM
    I'm happy with google wallet
    11-16-2014 07:53 AM
    Yet you don't know all new citi thank you preferred, simplicity, chase Sapphire preferred, American express everyday, Barclay arrival plus card (I think that's the name), I also have a chase freedom with emv, and there is a few others all with emv chips inside. You might be "in the business" but I'll guarantee more then 5%

When I tell you less than 5% of the cards issued in the U.S. are EMV chip cards that is a fact. So you understand exactly, there are two sides to the credit card business, the issuing side that issues credit cards and the processing side that processes the transactions. The issuing side has nothing to do with the processing side and vice versa. I would have no reason to know which banks are issuing EMV chip cards because that is the issuing side with which I have zero involvement. You're basing your replies on your personal experience which as I have already told you is not typical. I'm telling you what the facts are on a nationwide basis. The reason the issuing banks have not issued very many EMV chip cards is they cost ten times the cost of a magnetic stripe card to produce so it's simple economics. Research the issue then come back here and guarantee that there are more than 5% of all the credit cards issued in the U.S. that are EMV chip as you seem to mistakenly think I don't know what I'm talking about when in fact I do.
    11-16-2014 09:02 AM
    When I tell you less than 5% of the cards issued in the U.S. are EMV chip cards that is a fact. So you understand exactly, there are two sides to the credit card business, the issuing side that issues credit cards and the processing side that processes the transactions. The issuing side has nothing to do with the processing side and vice versa. I would have no reason to know which banks are issuing EMV chip cards because that is the issuing side with which I have zero involvement. You're basing your replies on your personal experience which as I have already told you is not typical. I'm telling you what the facts are on a nationwide basis. The reason the issuing banks have not issued very many EMV chip cards is they cost ten times the cost of a magnetic stripe card to produce so it's simple economics. Research the issue then come back here and guarantee that there are more than 5% of all the credit cards issued in the U.S. that are EMV chip as you seem to mistakenly think I don't know what I'm talking about when in fact I do.
    Walmart alone beats that percentage...on the processing side. There is asoe a half dozen shops in nyc that also take them. Costco and cvs have readers but haven't activated them

11-16-2014 09:06 AM
    Walmart alone beats that percentage...on the processing side. There is asoe a half dozen shops in nyc that also take them. Costco and cvs have readers but haven't activated them

Sorry but you're wrong and I'm done discussing the issue with you. If you have any interest in the facts you can easily find them online. Your opinion most certainly does not qualify as fact.
    11-16-2014 09:19 AM
    Sorry but you're wrong and I'm done discussing the issue with you. If you have any interest in the facts you can easily find them online. Your opinion most certainly does not qualify as fact.
    These are facts.... Walmart has emv for a while now and a half dozen in nyc. There's even an article on flyer talk about emv which even shows a map . In 11 months the number will jump because of liability of change on October 15th

11-16-2014 09:21 AM
    ....... There is no clear "best'' when it comes to mobile payment options. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. So how do we eliminate one over the other to move mobile payments on Android ahead? I don't think you can......
    Just did. Wallet wins. By default. Softcard was going to be my choice until I kept getting push notifications with no way to stop them, and found that in the TOS they are allowed to do so. I have worked diligently to keep my phone from being pinged randomly by notifications and unwanted emails and texts. I'm not about to give that up.
    I'll try Wallet with my Amazon Chase card and if that's not satisfactory, it's back to plastic.
    11-17-2014 10:48 AM
    Just did. Wallet wins. By default. Softcard was going to be my choice until I kept getting push notifications with no way to stop them, and found that in the TOS they are allowed to do so. I have worked diligently to keep my phone from being pinged randomly by notifications and unwanted emails and texts. I'm not about to give that up.
    I'll try Wallet with my Amazon Chase card and if that's not satisfactory, it's back to plastic.
    You don't get points other then 1% back which is the one thing I hate about wallet but I'll take it over softcard any day imo

11-17-2014 11:09 AM
    Earlier ITT, someone mentioned that there was no benefit to using Google Wallet or ISIS because both were slower than Apple Pay. Later, another person responded that they thought the ultimate vision was that all of these soft-wallet apps would one day replace plastic, and in short order the discussion just ended without resolution.

I found this strange as I assumed the single largest purpose was to increase the security of credit card transactions. As vulnerable as credit card numbers are, (ridiculously so) every year it seems a baker's dozen companies lose everybody's data, forcing them to have to get a new card number - if not more.

Passing encrypted data back and forth instead of card numbers at least temporarily solves that hackability issue. Granted, the general public doesn't know this, but public awareness of security vulnerabilities in credit cards (especially store credit) is rising. Every time a new big retailer is "hacked", people wonder why and get more and more tired of it.

I would be willing to bet that's a big part of the reason (Other than Apple's marketing effort) NFC has gained traction recently.
    11-17-2014 01:22 PM
    I would like this to become a reality one day. I hate carrying a wallet. I feel like everything in it can be somehow kept on my smartphone.

keyzlife likes this.
    11-17-2014 01:26 PM
    I prefer the old fashioned method. Pull card out of wallet. Swipe. Leave I have yet to see an advantage to NFC payment and I despise the why corporations are going about killing competition. I really hoping the entire thing fails. It was a cute idea but it should have stayed cute and in the box.
    11-17-2014 01:41 PM
    I would like this to become a reality one day. I hate carrying a wallet. I feel like everything in it can be somehow kept on my smartphone.

Until you loose your smartphone or the battery dies. There are too many things that can go wrong that would limit the use of your phone.
    11-17-2014 01:43 PM
112 12345