Google Wallet or Softcard?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Care to expound?

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
Simple really. I already have a credit card on file to buy apps and they use the same ones with Google wallet so why have another company have my cards when they don't need to since they do the same thing as the other company.
I also rather support Google wallet over what the carriers want

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Simple really. I already have a credit card on file to buy apps and they use the same ones with Google wallet so why have another company have my cards when they don't need to since they do the same thing as the other company

That makes sense. But you said that Softcard sucks. Why does it suck?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense. But you said that Softcard sucks. Why does it suck?

Also didn't like the app the brief time I opened it. I also think it's best to support 1 service and Google wallet has more brand power then softcard. If we want a successful nfc payment system we need it to be unified like Apple pay is. If you have an iPhone 6 or higher you can use apple pay. With android it needs to be Google wallet or softcard and in my opinion it needs to be Google wallet

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Also didn't like the app the brief time I opened it. I also think it's best to support 1 service and Google wallet has more brand power then softcard. If we want a successful nfc payment system we need it to be unified like Apple pay is. If you have an iPhone 6 or higher you can use apple pay. With android it needs to be Google wallet or softcard and in my opinion it needs to be Google wallet

I don't understand why it has to be either or. AII three payment systems are supported the same right?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why it has to be either or. AII three payment systems are supported the same right?

Yes but if you want traction and long term support for a system that has yet to grow I think 1 system should be supported unified by android

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
You're right, all three payment systems are supported the same, in that none of them are supported any more at the moment.

The retailers are giving any credit card based system the Heisman right now (Google Wallet, Apple Pay) in favor of their own proprietary system that forces you to link directly to your bank account.

Not that I am opposed to a different system, necessarily, but this CurrentC program being developed by the "MCX" is the wrong way to go about it.

I'm as against excessive fees on anything as the next person, but the way to solve it is not by refusing to allow choice in the marketplace.

Walmart, Home Depot, CVS, and other major retailers have enough clout to fight the credit card fees without forcing a third system down our throats. Especially a system that isn't as secure or easy to use as the ones that are already available.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Google Wallet all the way. Softwallet doesn't accept my credit card brands. I also hate supporting this more carrier exclusive payment crap. Let the industry standardize on one or two systems and get wide support. Long live GW and Apple Pay.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Google Wallet all the way. Softwallet doesn't accept my credit card brands. I also hate supporting this more carrier exclusive payment crap. Let the industry standardize on one or two systems and get wide support. Long live GW and Apple Pay.
I guess I still don't understand why it has to be one or the other. I can understand having a preference. And we are all given a choice of which to use. I just dont get why it is necessary to have unified backing of just one if they do the same thing.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I guess I still don't understand why it has to be one or the other. I can understand having a preference. And we are all given a choice of which to use. I just dont get why it is necessary to have unified backing of just one if they do the same thing.

Because supporting one will help it finally gain traction. Supporting each and small amounts will hurt it

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Because supporting one will help it finally gain traction. Supporting each and small amounts will hurt it

I'm sorry, but could you explain how? For some reason I'm not seeing things the way you are. Maybe you can give me some insight.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but could you explain how? For some reason I'm not seeing things the way you are. Maybe you can give me some insight.

As of right now places like cvs and rite aid are disabling nfc payments because they want to market their currentc. If we only had apple pay and Google wallet as had those as "standards" or generally accepted as the 2 nfc payments it would be a lot easier to grow and such. If there was only Google wallet and not Isis or now softcard carriers wouldn't of blocked Google wallet and perhaps wallet would be a normal thing now. I also just would like to have 1 app I could use anywhere .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

As a retailer your much more likely to support and promote one or two systems that have the largest market share rather than 10 different systems that end up confusing people. Just look not every retailer takes American Express, most take Visa and one other. The carriers wanted into this because they saw they could get a cut of the transaction and mine the data.

In my experience Softcard (ISIS) didn't work well, it would fail where Google Wallet would work. It also didn't support my Visa credit card so I had to prefund with a bank account not EFT when needed. I also thought the Google App worked a bit better and more simple to setup.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
As a retailer your much more likely to support and promote one or two systems that have the largest market share rather than 10 different systems that end up confusing people. Just look not every retailer takes American Express, most take Visa and one other. The carriers wanted into this because they saw they could get a cut of the transaction and mine the data.

In my experience Softcard (ISIS) didn't work well, it would fail where Google Wallet would work. It also didn't support my Visa credit card so I had to prefund with a bank account not EFT when needed. I also thought the Google App worked a bit better and more simple to setup.

That is another reason why I don't want softcard . Don't want Verizon mining my data as much as they anyways lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

It's kinda like the early days of Android, before Google had to rein in the carriers somewhat. Google early on thought they could just release the SDK to the masses, and utopian amazing development would happen. Reality was, Motorola started writing code on top of it that would only allow certain things to work IF you owned a Motorola Droid phone, Verizon wrote code that made it that much more exclusive, ditto Samsung, AT&T, et al. Fragmentation was a very real and very significant threat to Android's long term sustainability. That's why you saw Google "take back" certain aspects of the code, and force the major players to play nice in the sandbox together.

It's the same way with NFC payment systems. If the market is allowed to develop two or three major standards (like AmEx, MasterCard, Visa did in the charge card world) instead of lots of smaller ones, it will be much harder for the major retailers to block their adoption.

Personally, I don't really care if the MCX wants to develop the CurrentC system. That's just great. But don't disable my ability to choose Google Wallet if that is my preference to do so.

Mad4sax

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Had Google Wallet switched to Soft Card.
Why?
Well with Soft Card I can use my Chase Credit card or the Serve that is linked to an account.
Also the Serve comes with a "Hard Copy" so even at Costco that will only take American Express I can pay with Soft Card. Or any place that does not have NFC tap and pay I can use it.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Every place would accept every type of payment. We shouldn't have to use one main payment system for it to gain traction so more places accept it.

However, I'm Google wallet all the way.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if Google Wallet does this, but I can transfer money to the prepaid American Express Serve card that I have to automatically put a specified amount on the card and only out that amount on it I use it at my local grocery store that accepts tap and pay and it keeps me on budget because I can only spend up to that amount per week. It's small I know. But I like it that way. Does Google Wallet do this too? Can I limit the amount of money I spend?