Google Wallet or Softcard?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Every place would accept every type of payment. We shouldn't have to use one main payment system for it to gain traction so more places accept it.

However, I'm Google wallet all the way.

Because then you have cases like what cvs and rite aid are doing ....if I had a Walgreens near me or Duane read which is a local cvs like drug store chain I would stop shopping at rite aid and cvs based on principle . Generally competition is a good thing but in this case having 3 separate systems just on android alone is a bad thing when even the first big one Google wallet been available since 2011 and has yet to gain much traction and only recently can be installed on most phones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damink23

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I am using Softcard vs Google wallet for the simple fact that I get the proper points on my CC while using Softcard. google wallet uses a dummy MasterCard which then shows all my transaction as a business purchase. Thus, I dont get the proper point on my Amex. Functionally, I have seen no difference in using each of them.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if Google Wallet does this, but I can transfer money to the prepaid American Express Serve card that I have to automatically put a specified amount on the card and only out that amount on it I use it at my local grocery store that accepts tap and pay and it keeps me on budget because I can only spend up to that amount per week. It's small I know. But I like it that way. Does Google Wallet do this too? Can I limit the amount of money I spend?

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
Google wallet does this as well. I used Softcard with my Note 3 as Wallet wasn't supported. This is how I use mine in Google wallet. It is nice though to be able to add any card you want to tap and pay on the fly. The actual tapping to pay has worked well for me with both apps. The biggest difference to me is the funding. Adding funds to the Serve card can take up to 5 days sometimes whereas the Google wallet card can have money added while you're in line in the store. It's instantaneous. Most significant advantage for me.

Another key feature of Google wallet is the ability to add loyalty cards. If you have membership cards such as Best Buy, GNC, Walgreens, etc., you can have all of them scanned directly from the Google wallet app. Softcard cannot do this. You could use an additional app such as Keyring, but I'm all for having one app do as much of my work as possible. Hope that helps.
bd8c43bbc86effeaa31fe2a894238d1e.jpg

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Google wallet does this as well. I used Softcard with my Note 3 as Wallet wasn't supported. This is how I use mine in Google wallet. It is nice though to be able to add any card you want to tap and pay on the fly. The actual tapping to pay has worked well for me with both apps. The biggest difference to me is the funding. Adding funds to the Serve card can take up to 5 days sometimes whereas the Google wallet card can have money added while you're in line in the store. It's instantaneous. Most significant advantage for me.

Another key feature of Google wallet is the ability to add loyalty cards. If you have membership cards such as Best Buy, GNC, Walgreens, etc., you can have all of them scanned directly from the Google wallet app. Softcard cannot do this. You could use an additional app such as Keyring, but I'm all for having one app do as much of my work as possible. Hope that helps. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/11/bd8c43bbc86effeaa31fe2a894238d1e.jpg

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4
I was able to add money to Softcard instantaneously. I just did it today. But I do get the rest of your position. There does seem to be some pros and cons of both. But that's why I like the fact that there is a choice.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I used Google Wallet for a long time on my Note 2 and actually Prefer it to Softcard. With my Note 3, I begrudgingly had to use Softcard. I've had no problems with either app so far. Since I already was using Softcard on my N3, just used Softcard on my Note 4. I can add money instantaneously on SoftCard also.

Tonight I just added Google Wallet to my Note 4 after reading it's possible to use Tap and Pay on this phone with Wallet. I do prefer it actually, but after loading it and seeing it's charging a Fee now to add money to my Wallet Balance, I'm deciding to stick with Softcard. I don't remember having that fee before and remember reading it on some of the reviews on the Wallet app in the playstore. Along with people saying that now with Google Wallet, it takes a few days to get money added to the balance. That may just be people just starting with Wallet, since I saw if I wanted to add $10 and didn't seem like it wouldn't be instantaneous. Although the .30 cent fee, was a turn off. So not sure if I want Google Wallet Now. At least with Softcard, if you use it enough, you get some money back and I don't recall any transfer fees on Softcard..

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
^^^ This is what I'm referring to. There really are advantages and disadvantages of using both forms of mobile payments. That's why eliminating one doesn't seem right. And to be perfectly honest it seems to be the antithesis of Android and Google. I thought it was all about choice, options, customization, tailoring your device and services to meet your needs so your smartphone experience is individualized and not uniform. I personally like having a choice in mobile payment systems. And I'm not convinced that defaulting to one standard is necessary to drive the mobile payments system forward. Of course I could be mistaken, I just don't see it the way some of the above posters do.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
^^^ This is what I'm referring to. There really are advantages and disadvantages of using both forms of mobile payments. That's why eliminating one doesn't seem right. And to be perfectly honest it seems to be the antithesis of Android and Google. I thought it was all about choice, options, customization, tailoring your device and services to meet your needs so your smartphone experience is individualized and not uniform. I personally like having a choice in mobile payment systems. And I'm not convinced that defaulting to one standard is necessary to drive the mobile payments system forward. Of course I could be mistaken, I just don't see it the way some of the above posters do.

While each might have its advantages.... Supporting both is folly. Both Are having little traction in usage. Eliminating 1 will make having the 1 left survive. I predict both as it is keeping on pace of having nobody yet apple pay becoming the nfc payment of choice

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
While each might have its advantages.... Supporting both is folly. Both Are having little traction in usage. Eliminating 1 will make having the 1 left survive. I predict both as it is keeping on pace of having nobody yet apple pay becoming the nfc payment of choice

I don't see how that's possible.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how that's possible.

It's happening right now as it is.... Neither are gaining much ground and yet apple pay is gaining traction way faster then it took Google wallet which is due to the carriers blocking and promoting isis or now softcard

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It's happening right now as it is.... Neither are gaining much ground and yet apple pay is gaining traction way faster then it took Google wallet which is due to the carriers blocking and promoting isis or now softcard

But the carriers aren't blocking Google wallet. And the stores aren't blocking just Google wallet, they are blocking Apple Pay as well. Am I wrong?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
But the carriers aren't blocking Google wallet. And the stores aren't blocking just Google wallet, they are blocking Apple Pay as well. Am I wrong?

Google wallet isn't being blocked because Google found a way to bypass it but it would still if carriers had a say. They both are being blocked along with softcard because they want to promote yet another system currentc and ignoring the privacy violations I think that system has is another system. If we backed Google wallet in the start we might if never had this issue and Google wallet might be everywhere now.

Simply a monopoly on a nfc payment is a good thing in this case Imo. You simply want the most amount of people using nfc payments and for either to grow one needs to disappear Imo.

Let's take world War 2 for example and Germany or even napoleon in France. If Germany only focused on Russia or Britain we might of had a different outcome. Same goes with napoleon. If he didn't try to fight a war on 2 fronts Europe could of been very different possibly.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok, but then how is that achieved? If I go into AT&T today and purchase a smartphone that has the capability of tap and pay what would the salesrep tell me? When I look at the apps on my phone, what app is preinstalled? So how are we as consumers supposed to drive Google wallet? Even if we want to, how do we become champions of Google wallet?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok, but then how is that achieved? If I go into AT&T today and purchase a smartphone that has the capability of tap and pay what would the salesrep tell me? When I look at the apps on my phone, what app is preinstalled? So how are we as consumers supposed to drive Google wallet? Even if we want to, how do we become champions of Google wallet?

By installing Google wallet ?

See that's also the other issue don't give me apps I don't want lol. To bad I prefer the note over nexus 6 camera from what I've seen or else I would get a nexus 6

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
By installing Google wallet ?

See that's also the other issue don't give me apps I don't want lol. To bad I prefer the note over nexus 6 camera from what I've seen or else I would get a nexus 6

Lol. I know you can install it. But for the average consumer, they aren't going to know to install Google Wallet. But guess what is installed? And guess what's going to be pushed by the salesperson? And if you sign-up for the serve card that works with the Soft card app you get $50 to spend. I wonder what service for mobile payments the average consumer is going to choose?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Lol. I know you can install it. But for the average consumer, they aren't going to know to install Google Wallet. But guess what is installed? And guess what's going to be pushed by the salesperson? And if you sign-up for the serve card that works with the Soft card app you get $50 to spend. I wonder what service for mobile payments the average consumer is going to choose?

That itself is the problem ....sprint is the only one promoting Google wallet and isn't part of softcard. Carriers should of never promoted softcard and go with Google wallet at the start but they wanted more control and violating our privacy even more. Thank god I left t-mobile because they have carrier iq on their phones

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Apple Pay is much easier to use than either Google Wallet or Softcard because all you have to do is tap the phone and insert your finger in the fingerprint scanner. I used Google Wallet a couple of times and it takes longer than swiping a credit card so I see zero advantage to using either wallet in place of swiping a card. You certainly aren't going to be without your credit card(s) as the vast majority of businesses don't have NFC readers so using any kind of mobile wallet isn't a choice. That's why adoption of mobile wallets has been so dismal, there's no advantage to the consumer in using them except in the case of Apple Pay because it doesn't transmit your actual credit card # it uses a token. In their present state I rate both Google Wallet & Softcard as big fails.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Apple Pay is much easier to use than either Google Wallet or Softcard because all you have to do is tap the phone and insert your finger in the fingerprint scanner. I used Google Wallet a couple of times and it takes longer than swiping a credit card so I see zero advantage to using either wallet in place of swiping a card. You certainly aren't going to be without your credit card(s) as the vast majority of businesses don't have NFC readers so using any kind of mobile wallet isn't a choice. That's why adoption of mobile wallets has been so dismal, there's no advantage to the consumer in using them except in the case of Apple Pay because it doesn't transmit your actual credit card # it uses a token. In their present state I rate both Google Wallet & Softcard as big fails.
I think the advantage of mobile payments over regular credit cards is the idea that one day your entire wallet can be replaced by your phone and mobile payments is one of the components where they are starting.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
That could only happen if every place you use a credit card could accept NFC payments and that will not be the case for decades if ever. Most businesses do not see any need to pay for an NFC card reader and as I already said, it takes more time to use Google Wallet than it does to swipe a card. So both the customers and the businesses don't see any advantage to mobile wallet/NFC payment acceptance. A lot of people do not want to enter their credit card info on their phones.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
That could only happen if every place you use a credit card could accept NFC payments and that will not be the case for decades if ever. Most businesses do not see any need to pay for an NFC card reader and as I already said, it takes more time to use Google Wallet than it does to swipe a card. So both the customers and the businesses don't see any advantage to mobile wallet/NFC payment acceptance. A lot of people do not want to enter their credit card info on their phones.
That's understandable. And I too don't believe that's going to happen. But, I do think that was the vision.