Google Wallet or Softcard?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Apple Pay is much easier to use than either Google Wallet or Softcard because all you have to do is tap the phone and insert your finger in the fingerprint scanner. I used Google Wallet a couple of times and it takes longer than swiping a credit card so I see zero advantage to using either wallet in place of swiping a card. You certainly aren't going to be without your credit card(s) as the vast majority of businesses don't have NFC readers so using any kind of mobile wallet isn't a choice. That's why adoption of mobile wallets has been so dismal, there's no advantage to the consumer in using them except in the case of Apple Pay because it doesn't transmit your actual credit card # it uses a token. In their present state I rate both Google Wallet & Softcard as big fails.

There's cards that I leave at home and use on a rare moon to keep active . Using Google wallet with those cards are a lot easier then changing ,y cards around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That could only happen if every place you use a credit card could accept NFC payments and that will not be the case for decades if ever. Most businesses do not see any need to pay for an NFC card reader and as I already said, it takes more time to use Google Wallet than it does to swipe a card. So both the customers and the businesses don't see any advantage to mobile wallet/NFC payment acceptance. A lot of people do not want to enter their credit card info on their phones.

They're already being forced to replace all their terminals to support chip+PIN, why not add NFC with those new terminals also?
Is The US Finally Accelerating A Move To Chip And Pin? - Forbes

I agree that supporting ONE system would allow that ONE system to grow quicker as the results would be visible quicker. I would be a supporter of Wallet except for the way it charges transactions to a credit card, as a Google transaction rather than direct to the merchant. While this is nice for online purchases when dealing with a new vendor, when you get card benefits tied to the type of transaction or the retailer it occurred at, you lose those benefits when the charge is not billed as being from the retailer directly. Softcard supports mobile payments and apparently charges direct as the retailer, which is a point in its favor.

I see this is in the Note 4 forum, maybe it's more of a discussion for a general section as it does apply to Android in general?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Those that replace their terminals will get NFC capable ones but there is no mandate forcing replacement of existing terminals. It is at the option of the business. It will be a very long time into the future before smartphones replace credit cards if it ever happens. Neither consumers or businesses see an advantage which is why mobile wallets have gained so little traction.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
They're already being forced to replace all their terminals to support chip+PIN, why not add NFC with those new terminals also?
Is The US Finally Accelerating A Move To Chip And Pin? - Forbes

I agree that supporting ONE system would allow that ONE system to grow quicker as the results would be visible quicker. I would be a supporter of Wallet except for the way it charges transactions to a credit card, as a Google transaction rather than direct to the merchant. While this is nice for online purchases when dealing with a new vendor, when you get card benefits tied to the type of transaction or the retailer it occurred at, you lose those benefits when the charge is not billed as being from the retailer directly. Softcard supports mobile payments and apparently charges direct as the retailer, which is a point in its favor.

I see this is in the Note 4 forum, maybe it's more of a discussion for a general section as it does apply to Android in general?
US is supporting chip and signature not chip and pin like the rest of the world.... Maybe they don't want to pay the fees for nfc payments?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
What small businesses don't want to pay for is upgrading their terminals to accommodate either chip pin/signature or NFC. They don't see the advantage to either. Small businesses are a whole different ball game from large nationwide chains. And that is why you will not see widespread ability to process NFC/mobile wallet transactions.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I found out I need to make a new account since I changed carriers and that's the nail on the coffin for softcard for me....

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
What small businesses don't want to pay for is upgrading their terminals to accommodate either chip pin/signature or NFC. They don't see the advantage to either. Small businesses are a whole different ball game from large nationwide chains. And that is why you will not see widespread ability to process NFC/mobile wallet transactions.

Actually it is the merchant services companies (card processing services) and banks that provide these machines that are dragging their feet. Most SMBs are at the mercy of their MSC when it comes to the machines. They can walk in and tell them "this machine is EOL, you need a new one" and make them upgrade it. Most MSCs don't do it that way, though. They don't want to spend the money on the infrastructure right now. They are content to roll the dice every day that their decades old security protocol won't be the next data breach victim.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Actually it is the merchant services companies (card processing services) and banks that provide these machines that are dragging their feet. Most SMBs are at the mercy of their MSC when it comes to the machines. They can walk in and tell them "this machine is EOL, you need a new one" and make them upgrade it. Most MSCs don't do it that way, though. They don't want to spend the money on the infrastructure right now. They are content to roll the dice every day that their decades old security protocol won't be the next data breach victim.

What you're saying is not at all correct. The delay in EMV adoption has been caused by the banks that issue the credit cards. How many chip cards do you have? I don't have a single one. That is because of the cost to the bank to issue those cards. From a business's standpoint odds are in most cases they need to buy a new terminal if they want one capable of processing EMV card transactions. Neither banks or credit card processors are likely to provide new terminals at no cost to existing clients. Some processors will provide a terminal at no charge to a new client but the majority of terminals in use were paid for by the business. The only advantage to a business using an EMV capable terminal after October 2015 is they bear no liability in cases of fraud and for most small businesses credit card present fraud is not a problem thus they do not see a reason to pay for an EMV capable terminal. Mobile wallets are such a tiny fraction of card present transactions they aren't a viable reason for a small business to be able to accept them. My company's core business is credit card processing and I am very familiar with the subject.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes and no. Many new machines being issued now are compatible. The MSCs will generally provide the machines "free" or at subsidized cost with contract renewal, much like mobile phone carriers do with phones.

You are correct, the card issuers also play a role in dragging their feet adopting the better security measures.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
What you're saying is not at all correct. The delay in EMV adoption has been caused by the banks that issue the credit cards. How many chip cards do you have? I don't have a single one. That is because of the cost to the bank to issue those cards. From a business's standpoint odds are in most cases they need to buy a new terminal if they want one capable of processing EMV card transactions. Neither banks or credit card processors are likely to provide new terminals at no cost to existing clients. Some processors will provide a terminal at no charge to a new client but the majority of terminals in use were paid for by the business. The only advantage to a business using an EMV capable terminal after October 2015 is they bear no liability in cases of fraud and for most small businesses credit card present fraud is not a problem thus they do not see a reason to pay for an EMV capable terminal. Mobile wallets are such a tiny fraction of card present transactions they aren't a viable reason for a small business to be able to accept them. My company's core business is credit card processing and I am very familiar with the subject.
Half of my cards have emv chips in them

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Just an opinion from an old fart who has seen many changes over the years in the way we pay.
I am just trying to get Wallet and Softcard to work on my AT&T HTC One and discovered I needed a new SIM
I come from a time when credit cards were not accepted at grocery stores; write a check or pay cash.
Stores had their own credit cards, gasoline companies had theirs, Visa and MasterCard were unheard of.
Slowly, things changed and one could use the same credit card (Visa, MasterCard) at most places.
What a relief it was to get rid of all those separate charge cards and the separate bills.
There is a push from stores to go back to their own credit cards (Kohl's, Target, Walmart) and I hate it.
And those damn loyalty cards. At least 20 and counting. Even the smaller keyring cards are a PIA.
I've put all my loyalty cards on an app on my phone. If the store can't read theirs, I key in my phone number.
I'm looking forward to the wider adoption of Tap and Pay, and I don't care what system wins out.
I'm not going to get rid of my smartphone, but I would certainly like to reduce all the crap I have to carry in my wallet.
It will happen. Perhaps some day the info will be embedded in a ring on one's finger rather than on the phone.
I hope I live to see it. In the meanwhile, I'm getting rid of as many credit cards as I can. I want a thinner wallet.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I am using Softcard vs Google wallet for the simple fact that I get the proper points on my CC while using Softcard. google wallet uses a dummy MasterCard which then shows all my transaction as a business purchase. Thus, I dont get the proper point on my Amex. Functionally, I have seen no difference in using each of them.
Just starting to use both and testing shows you are correct, the Wallet purchases show up as "Wallet B" on Amex and are categorized as "Business Services", which lowers or eliminates the rebate points. On Softcard, the purchase shows up exactly as it is. Wallet then sends me an email for each purchase, in addition to listing all the purchases on my phone. I don't want or need that.
And each time I have used Wallet, I get a message on my phone's screen that the transaction could not be confirmed. Klutzy. Could be my phone, could be the terminal, could be the way it works, but I don't like it. Softcard to Amex seems more direct and more streamlined. I'll just keep Wallet around for transferring money.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 citi with EMV, 2 chase with EMV , an Amex and 1-3 more with it.

If you travel overseas that's the reason you have so many EMV chip cards. You're definitely not the norm, I am. To date banks have issued EMV chip cards to less than 5% of account holders.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If you travel overseas that's the reason you have so many EMV chip cards. You're definitely not the norm, I am. To date banks have issued EMV chip cards to less than 5% of account holders.

Your the norm? Lol I haven't left the country in a while. That's a lie ... All citi tank you preferred cards have them and simplicity cards. The Chase sapphire preferred also has one. The American Express everyday card also has one.

Note I am also a forum member on myfico.com which is s forum about anything credit related and do quite research in which cards I apply for

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Your the norm? Lol I haven't left the country in a while. That's a lie ... All citi tank you preferred cards have them and simplicity cards. The Chase sapphire preferred also has one. The American Express everyday card also has one.

Note I am also a forum member on myfico.com which is s forum about anything credit related and do quite research in which cards I apply for

Like I said, less than 5% of account holders in the U.S. have been issued EMV chip cards. I'm in the credit card processing business.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Just starting to use both and testing shows you are correct, the Wallet purchases show up as "Wallet B" on Amex and are categorized as "Business Services", which lowers or eliminates the rebate points. On Softcard, the purchase shows up exactly as it is. Wallet then sends me an email for each purchase, in addition to listing all the purchases on my phone. I don't want or need that.
And each time I have used Wallet, I get a message on my phone's screen that the transaction could not be confirmed. Klutzy. Could be my phone, could be the terminal, could be the way it works, but I don't like it. Softcard to Amex seems more direct and more streamlined. I'll just keep Wallet around for transferring money.
This is what I'm referring to. There is no clear "best'' when it comes to mobile payment options. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. So how do we eliminate one over the other to move mobile payments on Android ahead? I don't think you can.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!