Google Wallet or Softcard?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, less than 5% of account holders in the U.S. have been issued EMV chip cards. I'm in the credit card processing business.
Yet you don't know all new citi thank you preferred, simplicity, chase Sapphire preferred, American express everyday, Barclay arrival plus card (I think that's the name), I also have a chase freedom with emv, and there is a few others all with emv chips inside. You might be "in the business" but I'll guarantee more then 5%

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is what I'm referring to. There is no clear "best'' when it comes to mobile payment options. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. So how do we eliminate one over the other to move mobile payments on Android ahead? I don't think you can.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
Yes we can so we can get traction lol.... Softcard and wallet are doomed otherwise and will be a footnote compared to Apple pay which came after

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I read that Google is doing away with wallet.
I read an article about that. The way I understood it was the Google Wallet wasn't going to be supported by online retailers anymore. Meaning when you go to checkout, you can't choose to pay with Google Wallet like you could with a service like PayPal.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yet you don't know all new citi thank you preferred, simplicity, chase Sapphire preferred, American express everyday, Barclay arrival plus card (I think that's the name), I also have a chase freedom with emv, and there is a few others all with emv chips inside. You might be "in the business" but I'll guarantee more then 5%

When I tell you less than 5% of the cards issued in the U.S. are EMV chip cards that is a fact. So you understand exactly, there are two sides to the credit card business, the issuing side that issues credit cards and the processing side that processes the transactions. The issuing side has nothing to do with the processing side and vice versa. I would have no reason to know which banks are issuing EMV chip cards because that is the issuing side with which I have zero involvement. You're basing your replies on your personal experience which as I have already told you is not typical. I'm telling you what the facts are on a nationwide basis. The reason the issuing banks have not issued very many EMV chip cards is they cost ten times the cost of a magnetic stripe card to produce so it's simple economics. Research the issue then come back here and guarantee that there are more than 5% of all the credit cards issued in the U.S. that are EMV chip as you seem to mistakenly think I don't know what I'm talking about when in fact I do.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
When I tell you less than 5% of the cards issued in the U.S. are EMV chip cards that is a fact. So you understand exactly, there are two sides to the credit card business, the issuing side that issues credit cards and the processing side that processes the transactions. The issuing side has nothing to do with the processing side and vice versa. I would have no reason to know which banks are issuing EMV chip cards because that is the issuing side with which I have zero involvement. You're basing your replies on your personal experience which as I have already told you is not typical. I'm telling you what the facts are on a nationwide basis. The reason the issuing banks have not issued very many EMV chip cards is they cost ten times the cost of a magnetic stripe card to produce so it's simple economics. Research the issue then come back here and guarantee that there are more than 5% of all the credit cards issued in the U.S. that are EMV chip as you seem to mistakenly think I don't know what I'm talking about when in fact I do.
Walmart alone beats that percentage...on the processing side. There is asoe a half dozen shops in nyc that also take them. Costco and cvs have readers but haven't activated them

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Walmart alone beats that percentage...on the processing side. There is asoe a half dozen shops in nyc that also take them. Costco and cvs have readers but haven't activated them

Sorry but you're wrong and I'm done discussing the issue with you. If you have any interest in the facts you can easily find them online. Your opinion most certainly does not qualify as fact.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but you're wrong and I'm done discussing the issue with you. If you have any interest in the facts you can easily find them online. Your opinion most certainly does not qualify as fact.
These are facts.... Walmart has emv for a while now and a half dozen in nyc. There's even an article on flyer talk about emv which even shows a map . In 11 months the number will jump because of liability of change on October 15th

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
....... There is no clear "best'' when it comes to mobile payment options. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. So how do we eliminate one over the other to move mobile payments on Android ahead? I don't think you can......
Just did. Wallet wins. By default. Softcard was going to be my choice until I kept getting push notifications with no way to stop them, and found that in the TOS they are allowed to do so. I have worked diligently to keep my phone from being pinged randomly by notifications and unwanted emails and texts. I'm not about to give that up.
I'll try Wallet with my Amazon Chase card and if that's not satisfactory, it's back to plastic.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just did. Wallet wins. By default. Softcard was going to be my choice until I kept getting push notifications with no way to stop them, and found that in the TOS they are allowed to do so. I have worked diligently to keep my phone from being pinged randomly by notifications and unwanted emails and texts. I'm not about to give that up.
I'll try Wallet with my Amazon Chase card and if that's not satisfactory, it's back to plastic.

You don't get points other then 1% back which is the one thing I hate about wallet but I'll take it over softcard any day imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexander Burnside

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Earlier ITT, someone mentioned that there was no benefit to using Google Wallet or ISIS because both were slower than Apple Pay. Later, another person responded that they thought the ultimate vision was that all of these soft-wallet apps would one day replace plastic, and in short order the discussion just ended without resolution.

I found this strange as I assumed the single largest purpose was to increase the security of credit card transactions. As vulnerable as credit card numbers are, (ridiculously so) every year it seems a baker's dozen companies lose everybody's data, forcing them to have to get a new card number - if not more.

Passing encrypted data back and forth instead of card numbers at least temporarily solves that hackability issue. Granted, the general public doesn't know this, but public awareness of security vulnerabilities in credit cards (especially store credit) is rising. Every time a new big retailer is "hacked", people wonder why and get more and more tired of it.

I would be willing to bet that's a big part of the reason (Other than Apple's marketing effort) NFC has gained traction recently.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I would like this to become a reality one day. I hate carrying a wallet. I feel like everything in it can be somehow kept on my smartphone.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the old fashioned method. Pull card out of wallet. Swipe. Leave I have yet to see an advantage to NFC payment and I despise the why corporations are going about killing competition. I really hoping the entire thing fails. It was a cute idea but it should have stayed cute and in the box.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I would like this to become a reality one day. I hate carrying a wallet. I feel like everything in it can be somehow kept on my smartphone.

Until you loose your smartphone or the battery dies. There are too many things that can go wrong that would limit the use of your phone.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Until you loose your smartphone or the battery dies. There are too many things that can go wrong that would limit the use of your phone.
You could lose your wallet just as easily couldn't you? But you are difinitely spot on about the battery though. I hadn't thought about that.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the old fashioned method. Pull card out of wallet. Swipe. Leave I have yet to see an advantage to NFC payment and I despise the why corporations are going about killing competition. I really hoping the entire thing fails. It was a cute idea but it should have stayed cute and in the box.
Lmao magnetic strips Suck and proof is target 2013

dcook28277

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the stats mentioned--but I do know that both my BofA debit/MC and Amex were replaced with chips just in the past two weeks. I travel overseas but only used those particular cards one time on one trip. Meanwhile, my girlfriend--who has never used any of her cards overseas has never received a chip card.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I didn't realize Target has a run on magnetic strips. I was under the impression their computer system was hacked... In which case the form of payment wouldn't matter much, would it? If your information was in their system, you had a problem. I'm not sure how NFC would be more secure in that case.

Sooner or later some inventive young person is going to created a program that hacks your phone and spills all it's NFC data... You can't hack the card in my pocket.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I didn't realize Target has a run on magnetic strips. I was under the impression their computer system was hacked... In which case the form of payment wouldn't matter much, would it? If your information was in their system, you had a problem. I'm not sure how NFC would be more secure in that case.

Sooner or later some inventive young person is going to created a program that hacks your phone and spills all it's NFC data... You can't hack the card in my pocket.
It wasn't their computer system holding the data but the magnetic strip readers. Fairly common and not targeting the US since Europe has gone EMV chips

NFC at least how apple implementation of if in Apple pay works really good in theory since their not giving your cc information but another number

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie