Google Wallet or Softcard?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
A big part of Apple Pay is ordering online and it always was from its introduction you just don't hear about it here because this is a smartphone forum so the discussion is based on NFC usage. The distinct advantage Apple Pay has over the Google Wallet is it doesn't use your actual credit card # whether using it online or in a store. Apple actually worked out deals with some of the largest banks that issue credit cards to get paid by them every time Apple Pay is used because of the supposed security inherent in the way Apple Pay works either in a store or online.

From the perspective of how a smartphone user uses either Google Wallet or Apple Pay they're rather similar but the way the two methods actually complete the transactions is very different. Apple Pay uses tokenization which substitutes a one time use random number sequence for the transaction so your actual credit card # is never used, Google Wallet & Soft Pay do not use tokenization.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
A big part of Apple Pay is ordering online and it always was from its introduction you just don't hear about it here because this is a smartphone forum so the discussion is based on NFC usage. The distinct advantage Apple Pay has over the Google Wallet is it doesn't use your actual credit card # whether using it online or in a store. Apple actually worked out deals with some of the largest banks that issue credit cards to get paid by them every time Apple Pay is used because of the supposed security inherent in the way Apple Pay works either in a store or online.

From the perspective of how a smartphone user uses either Google Wallet or Apple Pay they're rather similar but the way the two methods actually complete the transactions is very different. Apple Pay uses tokenization which substitutes a one time use random number sequence for the transaction so your actual credit card # is never used, Google Wallet & Soft Pay do not use tokenization.

I'm not sure where you got your information from but this is not true. Both Google Wallet & Soft Card use tokenization. Your actual credit card number is never used in any transaction.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I had heard something about that I guess after March 2, that will be it for us being able to use Google Wallet. I really do not see a point in trying to get it to work at this point.

Google is not discontinuing Google Wallet. They are discontinuing the Google Wallet API that is used by some online stores so that you can pay directly from your Google Wallet account. Some online stores have a button to pay by Google Wallet. That is what's being discontinued - not the app and tap & pay.

Chuck_IV

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon don't allow me to use Google wallet, just softcard

Posted via the Android Central App

For what? I use Google Wallet on my Verizon Note 4 just fine. I just need to set my default Tap and Pay service to Google Wallet instead of Softcard(hint: It's under "More Networks" in your settings).

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Softcard with Amex Serve cause I get a dollar back every time I use it. Plus TMobile customers get $50 for signing up.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure where you got your information from but this is not true. Both Google Wallet & Soft Card use tokenization. Your actual credit card number is never used in any transaction.

Your actual credit card # is stored in your phone on Softpay & Google Wallet, it isn't with Apple Pay. Apple Pay replaces the credit card # with a token and stores the token not the credit card # in the iPhone's secure element. Also Apple Pay uses a more secure form of tokenization for individual transactions than Google Wallet or Softpay which is why they were able to negotiate being paid for every transaction whereas GW & Softpay do not get paid for their transactions. Any way you look at it from a security standpoint Apple Pay is a more secure form of payment than GW or Softpay.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Don't be so quick to believe the people that say Wallet is better than Softcard. I used Softcard for the last year or so on my Note 3. It always worked on the first try and adding money was always instant. Since I got the Note 4 I've been using Wallet and it's not as smooth of an experienced IMO. For example, I'll be ready to pay and hold my phone up to the scanner. It'll beep but a message will pop up on the screen saying it may not have worked and I should check with the cashier. I scan it again and it beeps louder and the Wallet transaction screen finally comes up. I'm probably going back to Softcard since they have the $1 back from every purchase promotion. I just wanted to chime in because it seems like the general consensus online is that Softcard is terrible and Wallet is great and that's just not entirely true.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Your actual credit card # is stored in your phone on Softpay & Google Wallet, it isn't with Apple Pay. Apple Pay replaces the credit card # with a token and stores the token not the credit card # in the iPhone's secure element. Also Apple Pay uses a more secure form of tokenization for individual transactions than Google Wallet or Softpay which is why they were able to negotiate being paid for every transaction whereas GW & Softpay do not get paid for their transactions. Any way you look at it from a security standpoint Apple Pay is a more secure form of payment than GW or Softpay.

Apple's system may be more secure but has the biggest downfall of them all that trumps any security benefit.... It only works on Apple hardware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1