I noticed that I only have about 13 gigs of space left on the device memory when I've been very careful to keep most stuff on the SD card. I checked the storage information and it says by far the most space (almost 9 gigs) is being taken up by Miscellaneous files. When I click on it however it says that system memory is taking up 8.64 gigs and the next highest is only 72 MB. What is this system memory exactly, and is there anything that can be done to reduce its size?

Also while im at it, how do you get apps to be added to the SD card when the "Move to SD card" option is grayed out?
    11-11-2014 01:44 PM
    1) Go to Settings/General/Storage. Look at the Cache line. When it finishes calculating, you should have plenty of space shown as being used by the system cache. Press Cache and you can clear it. (It's temporary files that weren't deleted when they were no longer needed - you won't lose any data.)

2) Miscellaneous files are the files that apps keep to keep data from one time the phone is on to the next. If the data was kept in memory (RAM), it would disappear when you turned the phone off (your Google email address, your contacts, a game's current level and score, etc.) If you've uninstalled an app and its "miscellaneous file" is still in there, and you don't plan on ever installing it again (or don't care if you keep the current data), delete that file.

3) An app with "Move to SD" grayed out has been written so as not to be able to be moved - because the developer knows that it won't work if it is. (A lot of apps, written by developers who don't understand Android that well, can be moved, but won't work when they are.) How do you move such an app? You don't. If moving it will cause it to stop working, wither leave it where it is or uninstall it, depending on whether you want it to work or not. (Some apps can force apps to be moved, but most apps you do that to won't work from the SD card.)
    11-11-2014 01:53 PM
    Thank you for responding.

1. Cache isn't big enough to worry about

2. It's the system memory within the miscellaneous files that is huge (8+gigs), the individual apps shown in the miscellaneous files folder are 72mb or under. There doesn't seem to be a way to even look at the system memory and what is being stored there. No big deal if it's supposed to be that large, I just was taken back a bit by it being the biggest memory hog by far.

3. Gotcha, good to know.
    11-11-2014 02:04 PM
    I have the same problem and would love to know the best solution - within "Miscellaneous Files" my "System Memory" is by far the largest memory suck but there doesn't appear to be any way to parse out what comprises that or how to decrease it (unlike being able to clear the cached data, which is helpful but not significant in comparison to the amount of memory taken up by the "System Memory").

Any good answers out there?
    05-07-2015 11:02 AM
    In my phone the system memory doesn't appear under miscellaneous, there's just a long list of apps and files. From there I've found that some apps can create huge cache folders that are not included in the app info (settings - apps). And they are not deleted even if you go to settings - storage and clear cache. The only way to do that is inside the app settings or with a File Explorer.

An example is any Tapatalk based forum (xda, AC Forums).
    05-07-2015 12:36 PM
    Here's what I see, 9GB burned by "Miscellaneous Files" listed as "System Memory". Look at the top of the second screen shot, the only one on the list without a checbox, almost missed it the first time I saw it. And it's not the sum of the stuff below it.
    Attached Thumbnails Storage, Miscellaneous Files, System memory-1431023931302.jpg   Storage, Miscellaneous Files, System memory-1431023944574.jpg  
    05-07-2015 01:40 PM
    I just noticed that this thread had been resurrected from the dead. Apparently this issue dates back some years but I still couldn't find a reasonable answer. I've only had this phone a few weeks so I suspect this is an OS reserved partition. Can any of you guys who are rooted see what's there? I don't believe that it really has 9GB of data on it.
    05-07-2015 05:42 PM
    I'm having the same issue. Did you ever get a response or figure it out?

IWR
    05-11-2015 10:57 AM
    Yes. The huge system memory is normal for Samsung. Probably where they put TouchWiz. Nothing you can do about it.
    05-11-2015 11:00 AM
    I have a Samsung S5 with a 64gb SD card, I had to install the Fix Lollipop Memory Leak app from Play Store and that got rid of the Miscellaneous Files, but a friend has the Samsung S6 32gb and I installed the Fix Lollipop Memory Leak app and that did not get rid of the Miscellaneous Files, so does that mean you have to have at minimum a 64gb phone to get rid of Miscellaneous Files?
    FSU30 likes this.
    05-23-2015 01:36 AM
    I'm having this problem too. My phone looks just like ELHHLE's except since I have less memory, the grey space at the end is very small. The cache is clear, but the phone has 6.5 Gig in Miscellaneous Files. None of the files when I touch "miscellaneous files" are big enough to be causing the problem.

Is there any way I can see what's there? If some file I downloaded storing data on the phone, I'd like to know so I can move it to the SDcard or get rid of it. I explored the files using my computer, but came up empty.
    08-13-2015 09:07 PM
    Hi guys. I need help please, yesterday I took important pictures. After restarting my phone all the pictures are missing and the external card which I recently deleted all the files was suddenly restored again.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2015 01:36 AM
    miscellaneous files size keeps on increasing in lollipop 5.0.2...found no solution

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-08-2015 10:41 PM
    Had this problem with an Acer Iconia A-500. The problem was a build up of GPS logs. Someone figured it out and wrote a script to purge those every time the tablet was rebooted. And those was back on 4.0.

Facing a similar absorption of space now on my S5. I wonder if it is similar.
    09-12-2015 08:51 PM
    The issue is stuff like old game files and stuff. I accessed misc once and it had a dropdown of everything 100mb + files and it added up to 4gb. After I selected 'delete all' ad was worried i might delete something important, so I exited the screen to reenter and delete only unnecessary things. When i went back in all it said is "system data". Cant seem to get the same screen to show up again any solution?
    09-14-2015 11:31 PM
  16. Misunderstood Philanthropist's Avatar
    Here's what I see, 9GB burned by "Miscellaneous Files" listed as "System Memory". Look at the top of the second screen shot, the only one on the list without a checbox, almost missed it the first time I saw it. And it's not the sum of the stuff below it.
    YES, that is exactly my problem. And stupid me for once having found the answer and then forgetting how to do it. >_<

At one point I discovered a different way to view the Miscellaneous files information, and there was a 3 GB file (or larger) that said it was for backups of OS updates or something. I was able to delete it and nothing terrible happened. Unfortunately, I can't remember what menu options etc I used to get there... Does anyone know what I'm talking about?!
    11-05-2015 07:42 PM
    Has anyone solved this by any chance? I'm using file manager pro to look through my file system and I found my entire file system to be replicated at least 3 times. All of them were being actively updated too. I've got the Verizon S5 running stock Rom and updates. My "system" filled are taking up most of my 16gb onboard memory. If I check the size of any particular copy of the system files the total folder size is a little over 2 gb. They are all the same size and file count... What the hell, this seems like a Windows 98 problem or something.
    04-08-2016 01:38 AM
    Go to your files. Chose an app you use the most f.e. Whatsapp. move all data on SD card or simply delete it. It seems that its possible that your phone makes backups of all the Images and Videos ever sent or recieved. I only moved Whatsapp images (6000). Miscellaneous files dropped from 7.7GB to 5.7 GB.
    08-19-2016 09:02 AM
    Can someone help me..
    I have a Lg Tribute 5,virgin mobile..

The storage is almost full when I go in to storage almost all of it is by miscellaneous files,,if I click on it a long list of things with boxes pops up,if I click the box it shows the trash can....some of it says something about face book the others I don't know what they are..IS IT SAFE TO DELETE THEM,WILL MY PHONE ,,APPS,,DATA BE HARMED OR MESSED WITH????
    02-19-2017 08:00 AM
    I'm only replying because nobody found a solution and sometime told them there is no solution and that's just how it is. ..

my phone ended up screwing up and ending up with so many "files" saved in miscellaneous files that I literally couldn't download anything more. I don't know what happened or why, but the only solution I found was to back up my files and wipe my phone. Problem fixed. I couldn't view any of the files and the total of the ones listed was far less than the amount it claims was being used there (like 13 gb?) So that being said, I know it sticks. .. but consider wiping your phone if this is a huge issue. Mine became this way over night while I was asleep, shh I truly have no idea what the heck happened. But whatever it was, it's much better now. . At least I can still use my phone.
    07-26-2017 06:13 PM
    Setting>device maintenance>storage>sd card>three dots in upper right corner(storage settings)> select sd card> unmount>mount
    09-24-2017 07:56 PM