WiFi - failed to obtain IP

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this has been discussed, but on both my home and work network I'm having the same issue. Right now I'm home on WiFi, tomorrow when I get home from work it will say failed to obtain IP and I have to restart phone....same goes for my office network. This is really very annoying actually and I end up eating up data not realizing it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Phone? OS version? Maybe you need update. Maybe it's a typical problem at your phone. Try to change WiFi settings (Settings -> WiFi -> Menu Button) and reboot phone. Try to change it again and again, maybe problem with it.

adam9997

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I are having exact same problem.We're on verizon but searching other forums Tmobile users experiencing same issues. Doesn't happen every time but definitely is an issue. There is a lengthy thread on redit (can't post link b/c not enough posts) They claim that verizon and Samsung are aware of this and will be corrected soon. Two ways to fix this 1. set the phone to airplane mode and then turn airplane mode off, for me the phone will always connect following this. 2. restart the phone.This issue has 2 side effects when left in this state it'll drain your battery quickly as it's trying to connect to the wifi network and use considerably more cell data. Not realizing what was happening, my wife burned through 4.5GB in less than 2 weeks when we first got our phones. Hopefully the fix is coming soon, until then keep an eye on the task bar.

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
That airplane mode trick works great, much easier than restarting every time. Hopefully samsung does address this soon because I can see this becoming a problem on my phone bill...as there are plenty of times I won't be paying attention.

You also mentioned it being a drain on the battery...that could explain why I'm not getting these numbers some people are posting.

Posted via the Android Central App

adam9997

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I can only assume that on some routers the phone will stop attempting to obtain ip address. At home I have a Fios provided router and unless I stop or connect to it the phone will keep trying to connect and therefore drain the battery faster than normally. Not to mention that while it's trying to connect to wifi it's also connected to LTE. Once I realized what's been happening and how to stop it my battery performance is excellent. I can easily get a full day of moderate use. Every time I'm in range of a known wifi I glance at the task bar to make sure I'm connected to wifi. What's interesting about this is that it seems to be random, roughly 3 or 4 times a week.

flotto

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Whats frustrating is a sold my LG G3 that was working perfectly to upgrade to the Note 4, they better fix this soon.

wazzat

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
My new Sansung note8 edge cannot find home ip address. Tried on/off. Tried flight mode on/off. Tried motorola sbg900 modem on/off. Old Note2 works like charm as it always has done. 2 laptops work fine. About to put sim back in the old one and return to place of purchase.

imabudgirl

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Got my note 4, had a camera issue, so they replaced my new phone with a referb. so am now paying top dollar for a referb phone, (sigh) anyway, got the replacement, working fine, got the updates for lolipop and now I can't connect to my work wi fi, keeps saying failed to obtain IP. Never had problems before, and now won't connect. It does connect to my home network (att) any ideas??

charles horwood

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi All, came across this issue when I connected to wifi at a hotel, did a bit of searching and found a temp solution. Touch and hold network connection that ure having problems with, select advanced config/settings, scroll down to IP address and select Static, for most closed networks you can use the IP 192.168.1.??? where i have put the question marks try any number between 10 and 255 save and reconnect and bingo you should have your internet back. I hope this help you all the same as it has helped me. Thanks all.

Charlie

charles horwood

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
If I was you I would refuse the refurb and demand a brand new replacement as that is what yoj are paying for. They are bound by that as you purchassed outright or contract that includes the brand new device covered by warranty

wazzat

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
My Note4 Edge did same thing. Continuously jumping around trying to find IP address etc, chewing up battery & data. Turned out an issue was the encryption on the modem/router. It was set to WPA/PSK - AES. It is a Motorola SBG900 Modem/Router so logged onto Motorola website (via google) and changed the Modem/router encryption to WPA/PSK - TKIP (on a hunch) and it connects like a charm, now. Just google your modem/router brand/model no. and you hopefully can get to home network maintenance webpages for your modem/router and check out the encryption isn't AES. After I did that & saved etc, I turned modem OFF/ON then SAMSUNG connected immediately but then had "forgot" & reconnect other devices/PCs (that were working quite happy before) back to the wireless network of course - just to clear settings and re-detect the network's new characteristics - easy as that. Yey it worked!!! Not saying it will for you, but maybe a start. Appears Samsung don't support the older and now much maligned WPA(1)/AES encryption <?????> Thanks Samsung - a curly one for a smuck like me to "solve".

coolerester

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
what if you are in a resort and unable to reset the router.
I initially was able to connect to the internet. I then moved close to the pool. same ssid and password. connected perfectly.
now that I went back to the room, I am unable to obtain ip. I tried deleting the network and installing the password but no luck. looks like the phone is just unable to renew the ip address. and I don't have access to the modem or router to reset it.
im thinking that they might have used two different modems/routers and configured it with same ssid and password, instead of using one modem/router and just use some type of range extender.....so one network, ip address is good but the other network, the ip address doesn't work.
I could be wrong, but I think that's whats happening.
I tried to input an ip address on the phone, it connects to the network, but web browser says page not found.

please help.

soppose to be on vacation and ended up with a bad connection and diareah.....just my luck...

Last edited:

Lester Howell

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
hi, dont know if this will help anyone. i had the same problem. i have a galaxy s5, btw. while in my wifi screen i tapped the top right corner and brought up a menu where i had the option: WPS PIN entry. i tapped that option and it gave me a pin to enter in my router. once i found in my router settings to add the pin it took a few seconds and then my problem was cleared up.

Vincent Chiu

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
what if you are in a resort and unable to reset the router.
I initially was able to connect to the internet. I then moved close to the pool. same ssid and password. connected perfectly.
now that I went back to the room, I am unable to obtain ip. I tried deleting the network and installing the password but no luck. looks like the phone is just unable to renew the ip address. and I don't have access to the modem or router to reset it.
im thinking that they might have used two different modems/routers and configured it with same ssid and password, instead of using one modem/router and just use some type of range extender.....so one network, ip address is good but the other network, the ip address doesn't work.
I could be wrong, but I think that's whats happening.
I tried to input an ip address on the phone, it connects to the network, but web browser says page not found.

please help.

soppose to be on vacation and ended up with a bad connection and diareah.....just my luck...

thanks wazzat, your suggestion worked for me! I tried several different solutions for hours, and this one is the only one that worked

BlueDroidyApps

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks wazzat. Your solution worked for me as well.. I have samsung galaxy s6 edge and I was having "failed to obtain IP" issue on phone wifi. i have configured my router as you suggested, and it worked like a charm. well done.

BlueDroidyApps

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks wazzat. Your solution worked for me as well.. I have samsung galaxy s6 edge and I was having "failed to obtain IP" issue on phone wifi. i have configured my router as you suggested, and it worked like a charm. well done.