02-25-2016 09:35 PM
84 1234
tools
    I was using Hangouts for SMS but for some reason I didn't like it. I decided to switch to Messenger because on Hangouts [not SMS] I only had 2 or 3 conversations. I feel I'd rather have a dedicated app for both functions rather than one that's combined. I might even get rid of Hangouts since the same people I talk to on Hangouts also use WhatsApp.
    11-17-2014 10:08 AM
    Hmm.... not sure its a purposeful war between google and samsung. Though if it was, google is the one who is not playing nice, since the Note 4 was out before the new messenger was released.

I tested it via the new messenger, and then tested it via hangouts. no joy on either. I have disabled the stock messenger....WAIT, after 5 minutes, while I am typing this, it DID actually come through on messenger! Thats quite a delay for a 32k message.... of course now the message is there and it won't download the attached image. so maybe you are right. Could be the way that samsung integrated the sharing features of image clip. I have definitely sent clips to someone via skype.....in fact I love doing that, found it an awesome and use it way more than I expected.

Update again.. after several minutes, it finally did download the photo, and the attached text. So with some delay, image clipping definitely worked on the new messenger (at least for me)
    So maybe this is something that just needs work in Google's end. The messenger hasn't been out for a week yet. It'll need maintenance just like everything else.
    11-17-2014 10:11 AM
    Need dark theme!!!!

Posted via Android Central App
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-17-2014 12:15 PM
    I would use his once they integrate with hangouts and google voice. too many redundant applications with google. ugh
    11-17-2014 02:55 PM
    Haha I just went though and looked to see if it was random or not, not sure about the colour coinciding with the contacts first letter. For example "Mom" is orange lol. "Wife" is also orange and my mate "David" is blue
    It appears the color is aligned to the overall tone of the profile picture. All of my profile pictures come out with a color that resembles the picture.
    11-17-2014 04:12 PM
    Does this archive your SMS to GMail...like Google Voice does? (SMS from my carrier, not my GVoice number. ..)

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-17-2014 06:26 PM
    Does this archive your SMS to GMail...like Google Voice does? (SMS from my carrier, not my GVoice number. ..)

no but there are apps for that. a related app is MightyText.
    Marley likes this.
    11-17-2014 08:17 PM
    This was a waste of time..... None of the features like stock......
    11-17-2014 11:46 PM
    This was a waste of time..... None of the features like stock......
    Such as? I've never used the stock messenger. Textra is my messenger app of choice, and Google Messenger seems to be taking many queues from Textra in its simplicity. So, I'm interested to know what features stock has that I might be missing out on.
    11-18-2014 07:32 AM
    I switched from Textra to the Google Messenger because with Textra I couldn't recieve MMS on WiFi. So far, I'm loving Google Messenger and everything is working fine. also, I switched from a Galaxy S5 yesterday to a Galaxy Note 4 and Messenger still seems to work just as well.
    11-18-2014 09:22 AM
    I switched to messenger a couple days ago. I'm having quite a bit of trouble with MMS messages. Super long delayed download times. Switched back to the normal "Messages" app
    11-18-2014 09:25 AM
    I switched from Textra to the Google Messenger because with Textra I couldn't recieve MMS on WiFi. So far, I'm loving Google Messenger and everything is working fine. also, I switched from a Galaxy S5 yesterday to a Galaxy Note 4 and Messenger still seems to work just as well.
    I was under the impression that not being able to receive MMS while exclusively on WiFi was a carrier restriction/choice. Not so? Or does Messenger not make it exclusive?
    Ron
    11-18-2014 02:29 PM
    Does Google Messenger work with Android Wear?? That is the main reason why i use Hangouts.
    11-18-2014 04:33 PM
    Such as? I've never used the stock messenger. Textra is my messenger app of choice, and Google Messenger seems to be taking many queues from Textra in its simplicity. So, I'm interested to know what features stock has that I might be missing out on.
    I am in the mind set that this is supposed to be an app for normal texting... Well the stock app allows customized tones for one.. .NO Scheduled TEXTS OPTION
    .. I am not saying the stock is the best but the GM NEEDS WORK
    11-18-2014 08:22 PM
    Does Google Messenger work with Android Wear?? That is the main reason why i use Hangouts.
    Yes

11-19-2014 08:38 PM
    Hangouts was the first SMS/MMS app that worked for me (I am on wifi a lot and the other 3rd party apps all had issues with MMS and my work wifi), Hangouts always worked, and was very important as our system alerts go out MMS. The only issue I had with Hangouts was unless you were careful you could sent out a Hangouts message as opposed to SMS. This is very noticeable to iphone users, and they would have to download Hangouts to see the message.

Well Google Messenger works well with MMS for me, and solves the Hangouts issue. Guess it's my new tool of choice
    This is what's confusing to me regarding the terminology of texting apps.

After coming over to the Note from an iPhone and iMessage, I had heard that Hangouts was the go-to texting app as it permitted group messaging. In other words Hangouts was the most like iMessage. I wasn't aware that there was a real difference between mms and sms and how apps handled the two, and I guess I just assumed that ANY text app world allow for group messaging.

I tried Hangouts and all I kept getting was a message saying the app sent out an invite to the recipient asking them to join Hangouts. That's not what I wanted. Someone then advised me to set Hangouts to send sms messages, which I did. It then worked. But then I wondered why it was handling sms differently than mms. I didn't recall having to set the stock text app to send sms. It just sent a text-only text OR a pic text without my intervention, just like iMessage. So I went back to the stock text app since it seemed less buggy (and faster) than Hangouts.

I guess my question is, do text apps treat sms and mms differently? If so, why? What's the significance? A text is a text is a text, right? Is the distinction based upon sending a text over LTE vs Wi-Fi?
    11-19-2014 09:57 PM
    Well SMS and MMS are very different (in terms of the protocols, how the network handles them, etc.

While I am not a fan of Apple or iMessage, EVERYONE in my family is, (wife, all 3 adult kids and their spouses, even my parents - in their late 80's) all have iPhones. What I can tell you is that iMessage works, and it does it without the user having to know SMS MMS or ABC. It even transitions between protocols invisibly without the user knowing or caring.

Google Messenger is the closest I have found that allows full interoperability for the user without them having to make decisions on how to send a message.

Welcome to Android, We have milk and cookies, just like the Apple folk, but our cookies have double the chocolate chips and our milk is organic.
    sforsyth01 likes this.
    11-21-2014 09:28 PM
    No, I'm using hangouts right now.

Sent from my SM-N910V
    11-21-2014 10:38 PM
    Yea it totally does, and very well for that matter. I have the moto 360 and it works great! Running it on a note 4.
    11-22-2014 01:47 AM
    After testing various apps, I'm sticking with Textra...
    11-22-2014 02:47 AM
    I was using and loving Google messenger until it started getting really buggy the last few days! Message/pictures not going through to people or to me..... Switched to Textra!
    11-24-2014 11:33 AM
    I'm using it, on Verizon. Overall, I like it. But an update allowing the app to be opened in a pop-up window is needed. It takes a few moments to download MMS pics, but I dont know if that's Verizon or the app.

11-24-2014 12:54 PM
    I've switched to Messenger and like the fact that it's consistent across all the other Google apps (material design). What I don't like is that when I made it my default app, I no longer get the lock screen notifications (with a preview)... is anyone else seeing this or do I need to adjust some setting?
    11-25-2014 11:22 PM
    I just moved from Google messenger to textra. And... Hey, I like it. It looks nice, is super fast and can handle all my note 4 features. Google messenger has an issue with smart select. The picture or image that I clip within smart select does not show up for the recipient. Anyways, these apps have the good and bad, for example, I have the moto 360 and google messenger wood show me the whole messenger thread on the watch, textra does not. Not a big deal. Textra had those neat pop up windows where you can quick reply during the navigation of your handset, I totally dig this feature. I'll keep an eye out for additional updates for google messenger but it's going to be textra for now. Great job devs btw!
    11-26-2014 01:14 AM
    I've switched to Messenger and like the fact that it's consistent across all the other Google apps (material design). What I don't like is that when I made it my default app, I no longer get the lock screen notifications (with a preview)... is anyone else seeing this or do I need to adjust some setting?
    Which handset area you using? Nexus device with Android 5.0? If not then that's you're answer, I believe pop up notifications on the lock/home screen are native to only Android 5.0.
    11-26-2014 01:16 AM
84 1234