Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Google Messenger...Is anyone using it??

emerrow

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google Messenger...Is anyone using it??

I switched to messenger a couple days ago. I'm having quite a bit of trouble with MMS messages. Super long delayed download times. Switched back to the normal "Messages" app

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

I switched from Textra to the Google Messenger because with Textra I couldn't recieve MMS on WiFi. So far, I'm loving Google Messenger and everything is working fine. also, I switched from a Galaxy S5 yesterday to a Galaxy Note 4 and Messenger still seems to work just as well.
I was under the impression that not being able to receive MMS while exclusively on WiFi was a carrier restriction/choice. Not so? Or does Messenger not make it exclusive?
Ron

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Does Google Messenger work with Android Wear?? That is the main reason why i use Hangouts.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site

Such as? I've never used the stock messenger. Textra is my messenger app of choice, and Google Messenger seems to be taking many queues from Textra in its simplicity. So, I'm interested to know what features stock has that I might be missing out on.
I am in the mind set that this is supposed to be an app for normal texting... Well the stock app allows customized tones for one.. .NO Scheduled TEXTS OPTION
.. I am not saying the stock is the best but the GM NEEDS WORK

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Hangouts was the first SMS/MMS app that worked for me (I am on wifi a lot and the other 3rd party apps all had issues with MMS and my work wifi), Hangouts always worked, and was very important as our system alerts go out MMS. The only issue I had with Hangouts was unless you were careful you could sent out a Hangouts message as opposed to SMS. This is very noticeable to iphone users, and they would have to download Hangouts to see the message.

Well Google Messenger works well with MMS for me, and solves the Hangouts issue. Guess it's my new tool of choice
This is what's confusing to me regarding the terminology of texting apps.

After coming over to the Note from an iPhone and iMessage, I had heard that Hangouts was the go-to texting app as it permitted group messaging. In other words Hangouts was the most like iMessage. I wasn't aware that there was a real difference between mms and sms and how apps handled the two, and I guess I just assumed that ANY text app world allow for group messaging.

I tried Hangouts and all I kept getting was a message saying the app sent out an invite to the recipient asking them to join Hangouts. That's not what I wanted. Someone then advised me to set Hangouts to send sms messages, which I did. It then worked. But then I wondered why it was handling sms differently than mms. I didn't recall having to set the stock text app to send sms. It just sent a text-only text OR a pic text without my intervention, just like iMessage. So I went back to the stock text app since it seemed less buggy (and faster) than Hangouts.

I guess my question is, do text apps treat sms and mms differently? If so, why? What's the significance? A text is a text is a text, right? Is the distinction based upon sending a text over LTE vs Wi-Fi?

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Well SMS and MMS are very different (in terms of the protocols, how the network handles them, etc.

While I am not a fan of Apple or iMessage, EVERYONE in my family is, (wife, all 3 adult kids and their spouses, even my parents - in their late 80's) all have iPhones. What I can tell you is that iMessage works, and it does it without the user having to know SMS MMS or ABC. It even transitions between protocols invisibly without the user knowing or caring.

Google Messenger is the closest I have found that allows full interoperability for the user without them having to make decisions on how to send a message.

Welcome to Android, We have milk and cookies, just like the Apple folk, but our cookies have double the chocolate chips and our milk is organic.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

Does Google Messenger work with Android Wear?? That is the main reason why i use Hangouts.

Yea it totally does, and very well for that matter. I have the moto 360 and it works great! Running it on a note 4.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I was using and loving Google messenger until it started getting really buggy the last few days! Message/pictures not going through to people or to me..... Switched to Textra!

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm using it, on Verizon. Overall, I like it. But an update allowing the app to be opened in a pop-up window is needed. It takes a few moments to download MMS pics, but I dont know if that's Verizon or the app.

Posted via the Android Central App

layout98

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've switched to Messenger and like the fact that it's consistent across all the other Google apps (material design). What I don't like is that when I made it my default app, I no longer get the lock screen notifications (with a preview)... is anyone else seeing this or do I need to adjust some setting?

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I just moved from Google messenger to textra. And... Hey, I like it. It looks nice, is super fast and can handle all my note 4 features. Google messenger has an issue with smart select. The picture or image that I clip within smart select does not show up for the recipient. Anyways, these apps have the good and bad, for example, I have the moto 360 and google messenger wood show me the whole messenger thread on the watch, textra does not. Not a big deal. Textra had those neat pop up windows where you can quick reply during the navigation of your handset, I totally dig this feature. I'll keep an eye out for additional updates for google messenger but it's going to be textra for now. Great job devs btw!

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I've switched to Messenger and like the fact that it's consistent across all the other Google apps (material design). What I don't like is that when I made it my default app, I no longer get the lock screen notifications (with a preview)... is anyone else seeing this or do I need to adjust some setting?

Which handset area you using? Nexus device with Android 5.0? If not then that's you're answer, I believe pop up notifications on the lock/home screen are native to only Android 5.0.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I just switched back to the stock Samsung app yesterday.

It was working great for me until about 7-10 days ago, then suddenly group MMS and MMS images stopped downloading automatically. I went into settings, set them back to auto download, and the app ground to a halt. It would take several minutes (in some cases, over 5) to download one MMS image. I had entire group conversations carry on around me, unable to respond because I had no idea what the other people were saying.

Yesterday I finally decided to try the Samsung app just to see if it was my data connection or the app. It was, from what I can see, the app. As soon as I switched back, group MMS and MMS images began downloading almost immediately, like it should.

Anyone else notice this lately?

bleuiko

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am having this problem right now. It wasn't doing it when I first installed the app but now I am getting the group messages as I should, but I also get an extra message for the sender as well with a "download failure". Super annoying. I might have to investigate Textra.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I stopped using Google Messenger. Has a bunch of problems sending MMS or Group messages. Found out Textra works with Android Wear. So i switched to that and it has been working great!! Lots of options.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc