Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Google Messenger...Is anyone using it??

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Messenger...Is anyone using it??

yeah I've never really used that either tbh. I like the random colouring it gives to my sms threads, would be cool to change these though

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

yeah I've never really used that either tbh. I like the random colouring it gives to my sms threads, would be cool to change these though

yes it seems to match Gmail. not sure it's random though. i think color coincides with first letter of contact's first name?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

The one thing that I have found so far that I don't like is that it ignores the custom ringtone information you may have set up in the Contacts app. I have several groups set up that I have given customized notifications to, so I can tell what the message is about while I am out and about and decide how to handle (work messages don't get answered after hours, messages from my wife get priority in most circumstances, etc).

The old stock app looked at the contacts definitions before falling back to default notifications. Messenger, at least right now, does not do that.

Hopefully this is something that gets more integrated when this is rolled out with the full version of Lollipop, because I really like the format of it compared to the old messages app.

I'd like to see more tweaking allowed as well.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

yes it seems to match Gmail. not sure it's random though. i think color coincides with first letter of contact's first name?

Haha I just went though and looked to see if it was random or not, not sure about the colour coinciding with the contacts first letter. For example "Mom" is orange lol. "Wife" is also orange and my mate "David" is blue

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

The one thing that I have found so far that I don't like is that it ignores the custom ringtone information you may have set up in the Contacts app. I have several groups set up that I have given customized notifications to, so I can tell what the message is about while I am out and about and decide how to handle (work messages don't get answered after hours, messages from my wife get priority in most circumstances, etc).

The old stock app looked at the contacts definitions before falling back to default notifications. Messenger, at least right now, does not do that.

Hopefully this is something that gets more integrated when this is rolled out with the full version of Lollipop, because I really like the format of it compared to the old messages app.

I'd like to see more tweaking allowed as well.

Yup. That's Samsung App talking to Samsung App.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Yup. That's Samsung App talking to Samsung App.

Ehhh. Good point. I never stopped to think that messenger and contacts were Samsung apps, I just rolled along assuming they were base Android...

That's what I get for being on Galaxy devices for 3-4 years and getting used to the scenery.

BaldwiJ7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I dl it yesterday and love it. It's clean and I like how it colors the different people within a group text

Sent From My Galaxy Note 4

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

after testing for a little while i believe that Google Messenger is much faster and more efficient than Hangouts for texting. no lags and overall much snappier. especially when used in conjunction with MightyText. probably because it's not bogged down with all of the Hangouts BS and fat. Messenger focuses on one thing and one thing alone - texting - and that's what makes it good. lean and mean. simple and clean.

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

I just DL'ed Google's latest messenger app, so far Im loving the clean look. The biggest benefit I love is...you can attach multiple pics whereas Hangouts wouldnt allow it. Has anyone else tried it?

After using it for a couple of days now, it looks like a keeper. Haven't really found anything I don't like about it yet. Saw a couple of people say they preferred Textra and Go SMS. What the hell. Lol. Thanks for turning me on to it. Clean, full of useful features, and simple.

Posted via the Android Central App

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site

Love the new Messenger app. Hangouts was pretty laggy and slow on the Note 4 and Messenger is a lot quicker. Looks great too.

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

Only issue I have is that I also have the Galaxy Gear 2, and I have to use the default Messages or it will not show on the GG2.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I uninstalled Textra this morning, after playing with Google messenger for a couple days. I agree with most of what is said here. It is very, very fast. The only feature I miss is the repeating notifications when you don't respond to it. I like the idea that if I miss a text message that the device will beep again to remind you every few minutes... Maybe Google will keep developing it.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I uninstalled Textra this morning, after playing with Google messenger for a couple days. I agree with most of what is said here. It is very, very fast. The only feature I miss is the repeating notifications when you don't respond to it. I like the idea that if I miss a text message that the device will beep again to remind you every few minutes... Maybe Google will keep developing it.

So u saying u liked it more then textra on speed and featured?

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Would be cool if everybody who downloaded Google messenger come text over data so it be like hangouts or I message

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I tried out Google messenger last night ... its very very similar to what i was already using which was Textra ... so similar I almost though Google just blatantly copied them lol ... I ended up sticking with Textra though as has more options, has more customization with colors and whatnot and it has 2 dark themes which i love!

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Using it, and liking it. It's plain, the access to the files, pics, and video recording is nice.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I really like it. Hopefully they will allow more customizing as it is released over time. I would also like the dark theme.

I am kinda torn between it and Samsung messages though. I like the integration with contacts and dialer better.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Been using Hangouts for awhile; has been the best for me so far......only thing I don't like as previous poster said.....you cannot send multiple pictures at one time. So if Google messenger allows multiple pics I will definitely give it a try!