Not Receiving Some Messages in Group Messaging

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I had this problem on my S4, so I don't think it is the phone per se, but I am not sure where to ask this question, so I will ask it here.

Let me set up the scenario. About 18 months ago, I switched from Iphone to the S4. I did not know to turn Imessage off, but eventually got to where it was not an issue. I have confirmed that I am no longer registered with Imessage.

On both that phone and continuing on to this, if we set up a group message with my 2 daughters, wife, son-in-law and I (all of them use iphones) and start texting, I will receive messages from my wife and one of my daughters, but I never receive any messages from my other daughter or her husbandin that group thread.

If I text them individually, I can receive messages from them, but never in the group.

If the group has just me, one of my daughters and one other person, I can get messages from all.

It happens on either the built in messaging app or the Verizon one.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

mgm83

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Hope you find a fix or what the issue is.. my cousins all have iphone and sometimes I'm included in the group and sometimes I'm not.. or if I send a text some of the group gets an individual text from me.. weird.

Posted via the Android Central App

eternitybrkn

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
OMG! I have the same problem! I don't understand what's going on. I have never gotten this problem with my previous android phone.

Some one PLEASE let us know the solution

ps. not an apple user

Last edited:

anna3535

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. Only some replies come back in the group texts. It's awful. I am most likely going back to my old iphone today because it's been 10+ days and I can't find a resolution.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It all revolves around imessage. It does not like to play nice in the sandbox with other platforms.

It may be that some of the people in that circle have imessage turned on, some have it turned off. My wife and I had that issue for a while when she had turned imessage on for some reason I can't remember. Once she turned it off on her phone, everything worked just fine. But, I have had other people who are actively using imessage who have not had any problems sending messages to me.

DJxDARIENx

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem with my HTC ONE sometimes. Its not our phones problem, its imessage itself. It has something with the way how its set up on both iphones/previous iphones. Once my friend updated their phone to IOS 8 (Not sure if that was the fix) but it let me me receive messages from them and they receive mine. Thats as much as I know :\

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
There is a good reason Apple is being sued over this. Text messaging was fine until they included imessage and then it decided to not play nice with the rest of the mobile world. I do know that I will not go back to Apple for love or money. The ONLY reason I even still have an Ipad is because Adobe Lightroom has a method to edit photos on it, but not Android yet. Otherwise, that thing would be out of here!

DAVE_DROID

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been having the same issues exactly as described! I think I have found a fix for some issues. Try going to the iPhone users' General Settings/Messages/ and make sure the "Send as SMS" radial button is turned ON (green). This will ensure that iMessages get converted to a regular text message. Another setting in the iPhone is to check the "Send & Receive" settings. Make sure their "START NEW CONVERSATIONS FROM" setting is set to their mobile number, NOT their email address. I think that after iOS upgrades, these settings may be getting intermittently changed. After doing these two things, start a new message string from either device and it should work -so long as the other iPhone users on the group message string have also made these changes.

SDTriathlete

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Possible solution to iMessage problem to Android for Group texts

I have this problem with some users and found a solution, but it requires the other person using the iPhone to delete all the history of group messages which include you. It appears the stupid Apple iPhones keep the history and somehow use it to determine whether to use iMessage to send to you, even if you deregistered from iMessage after switching from iPhone to Android (as I did). Once the other person deleted the related group message threads on her phone, then any following messages she replied to that group also went to my Android phone.

Here was that setup for this test:
1. I created a group text with 2 other iPhone users, with me using my Android Samsung S7 using the Textra app.
2. I sent a text out to the other 2 users (on iPhone). They received the message.
3. One of them replied to me (using an iPhone). I did not receive the message.
4. I asked her to text only me directly. I received that message.
5. I had her delete all group message threads that included me.
6. I texted to the group again (see #2 above). She got that message - just like before.
7. She replied to the group message and I received that message on my Android phone now.

mari2314

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issues. I have never owned an Iphone, but when I send messages in my group chat with my 3 best friends, only one of them can ALWAYS see my messages. The other two can see them SOMETIMES, but usually are unable to. If I message them separately they have no issues at all. I have an android on Verizons network. 3 of the four of us use Verizon.

kneecee92

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5...when I get into a group message there is 1 person I cannot see their messages. It always seems to be an Android user. There can be other Android and Apple users in there but it's one person with an Android. I've changed from goSMS to Messenger and I cannot see the same people. Any ideas??

thumbsup182

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5...when I get into a group message there is 1 person I cannot see their messages. It always seems to be an Android user. There can be other Android and Apple users in there but it's one person with an Android. I've changed from goSMS to Messenger and I cannot see the same people. Any ideas??

Updated::

Solved:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/5batln/anyone_else_not_receiving_mms_messages_from_just/
Samsung users need to uncheck "Advanced Messaging".
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also had a Nexus 5 with this same problem. The two contacts which I can't receive MMS from are GS7 users. I initially thought this was an issue on my end but I just upgraded to OnePlus 3T and the exact same two contacts still cannot send me MMS. I've used Hangouts and Messanger with no luck. All of us are on at&t. I'm now thinking it's an issue on their end as I have no issues with my Verizon friends' GS7 messages.

Last edited:

txhoneybees

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
problems seeing group texts. It may be because there are 3 types of texts: SMS (regular texts), MMS (use a data plan or internet), and iMessage (Apple products).

Group SMS messages go through your carrier. Group SMS messages don’t support multimedia attachments, like photos or videos.
All responses in a Group SMS are sent as individual text messages and the recipients can’t see the other responses from the group.

I think if someone in the group doesn't have a data plan or it is limited and a text is sent SMS then any replies will only be seen by the sender of the text, not anyone else in the group.

txhoneybees

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Found one more possibility:
“If I send a text to more than one person at once, will the recipients be able to tell (and reply all)?”
Maybe, maybe not — it all depends on their settings, not on yours.

If they have an iPhone and have turned on Group Messaging under Settings > Messages (note: you have to enable MMS Messaging before you can see the Group Messaging option), they’ll see the phone numbers of up to 9 other recipients. And when they reply, by default their reply will go to everyone in that group.
Group messaging is also a feature on BlackBerry devices and the Windows Phone — again, they can see everyone’s numbers and reply all.
On some other phones (such as certain Android models), the recipient can tell that it was a group message because it shows up as a multimedia message instead of a normal text message — but they can’t see any other recipients, and therefore their replies only go to the original sender.

“If I receive a message that was sent to multiple people, when I reply, will it reply-all?”
If you can see other recipients’ numbers, then yes, by default your reply will go to everyone whose numbers you see.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante