Has anyone tried using Mirror Link in their car?

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I used my USB to hook up my phone to my '15 Subaru Outback. The car has Mirror Link, but I cannot seem to get it to work. The phone says it's linked, but the Mirror Link app in my car isn't highlighted. Any tips?

layout98

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I took my Forrester in for service and got a 2015 loaner, I tried the Mirrorlink and got the same result. Phone said connected but car didn't do anything (app was not lit up).

Did your use manual say anything? My only thought was that maybe there was another usb port or some setting that needed to be enabled.

Please post if you get it to work and let us know how well it works.

JavaDevelop

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I got it working on a Galaxy S4 running 4.2.2 (also tried on Nexus 5 running 5.0, and OnePlus One running 4.4.4; but no luck on N5 or OPO).
It's a total kludge, and doesn't even involve the official Drive Link in the Play Store.

On your Galaxy S4 (maybe other Samsung and HTC phones too), you need to side load the Drive Link APK from this site (www colmoschinxtreme com / android / item / drivelink).
NOTE: Make sure you delete any previous install of Drive Link prior to running the above step.

Then run the app on your S4, plug it into your USB in-dash (I'm using a 2015 Subaru Outback with the upgraded 7" infotainment system).
After about a minute (or two), the MirrorLink icon on your dash will go from gray to white.
Tap on MirrorLink, and you will have a projected image of the Drive Link app from the S4, on your in-dash screen. You can use the tools in that app, to bookmark apps you want to use, or you can tap the physical home button on the S4 to get to the Android desktop and then your desktop will be fully accessible via your in-dash touch screen.

It's a very poor implementation, and I hope the folks from Clarion (in-dash infotainment manufacturer) and Subaru (the company who chose what options to implement on the infotainment system) work a lot harder over the next few months to turn this from a tech geeks hack, into a consumer friendly solution that plays nice on other devices.

hpcolus

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Mirrorlink in Subaru does not work anywhere in the world. An excuse provided by Subaru America that mirrorlink was not implemented is BS to hide the fact they did not tested properly.

Most of todays phones listed as mirrorlink compatible (galaxy, experias and HTC) implemented mirrorlink 1.1 but Subaru implemented mirrorlink 1.0. It is a matter of simple firmware. I spent countless hours with HTC technical support and Subaru customer service.My HTC mirrorlink (car app) works flawlessly with a New Pioneer unit.

I doubt this issue will be solved for 2015 models. Apple and Google will push other solutions. With mirrorlink you have the freedom of choosing the apps to display, with Google and Apples technologies like car play and android auto you are at their mercy yo track everything you do.

Last edited:

Hari Popuri

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I have Samsung Note 4 and Honda CR-V (2015) - Not working.
As soon as I connect phone using USB cable, it says, Phone and Car connected using MirrorLink and nothing comes up either on infotainment display or on the phone. Note 4 doesn't even allow to go to main page or use any other app when it is connected using USB.

I use Google Maps for directions and running out of battery and connected USB to charge phone. But this MirrorLink kicks in and screen goes blank, can't see directions. I had to use alternate charging (non USB).

Frustrated with this stupid thing. This will be my last Samsung.

donk1

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Mirror link is not available on any car in the US . It's not compatible with the Star Link system, or most other Nav systems there. We use the 4GX mobile system here whereas the majority of the US are still on 3G with some areas going to 4G. The final roll-out of the 4G Cell system in the States should be completed early 2017. By that stage, final testing of 5G will be underway in Australia for a late 2018 progressive roll out being competed by 2020.

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I got the operation of MirrorLink in Galaxy S5 ,
excuse the language , do not speak English , read-only.
See my recorded video.

Youtube
Vídeo 1
youtube.com/watch?v=CVTHj2effZU

video 2
youtube.com/watch?v=nztHDOC0WNg

melihb

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
After I found that my new subaru outback 2015 has mirrorlink capacity, I bought Htc One m9 that has also mirrorlink. But it did not work. Subaru Turkey said that mirrorlink is not available in Turkey where I live, but they are working on it!! After some research drivelink for samsung could be my answer. But i needed an old phone with android not more than 4.3. Found one from one of my colleagues, installed drivelink it did worked but did not show any external apps, with a blue screen.I found my answer in xda developers forum.
To do list to use mirrorlink in subaru outback
1. Find Galaxy s3 or 4 with android not higher than 4.3,
2. Root it (how to is on xda developers forum) galaxys3root site
3. Apply android revolution hd, (how to is on xda developers forum)
4. replace TMServerApp.apk, (download and how to is on xda developers forum and colmoschinxtreme/android/item/drivelink site
5. set up drivelink (download colmoschinxtreme/android/item/drivelink
There you go!!!

S6_ACTIVE_MACHINIST

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I have the Pioneer touchscreen, and the bluetooth keeps dropping connection on my brand new phone. I'd rather hardwire connect if it works better. Did you ever have any luck with getting the mirrorlink to work?

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Mirror link has next to no support. It's garbage. I think only 4.0 and older works. A head unit with hdmi is the way to go

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Mirror link has next to no support. It's garbage. I think only 4.0 and older works. A head unit with hdmi is the way to go

I concur that MirrorLink has next to no support. It's sad to see something with so much potential be such a cluster fuk.

It's simply not true the MirrorLink only works with 4.0 and older.

While I have the option to use HDMI, I find it more of a hassle to use HDMI vs MirrorLink for the few apps I use while driving.

My Note 4 (N910T) with 5.1.1 and my S6 Edge (SM925T) with 5.1.1 both work with my Pioneer Avic7000nex and AVH4100nex when connected via MirrorLink.

The apps I use to MirrorLink my phones are Glympse and Glympse for Auto. Button Savior (avail for rooted and non rooted) is used to access the apps (Google Music, Pandora, Waze*, MyQ**, etc) I use while driving.

*Waze 4.0.0.2
**MyQ only works on my S6 Edge.

To be clear, my Note 4 is rooted w/ a cutsom ROM and kernal. My S6 Edge is 100% stock.

Bman0279

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I've used mirror link with my HTC one but with my Samsung s6 and s7 my stereo says there are no mirror link apps on my phone, even though the same apps are on the HTC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci