Coolest features you discovered after buying your Note 4

J0nAthAn0001

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I found this on cellunlocker's blog...

The tip outlined below will allow users to take advantage of a hidden menu setting that is actually available for any android device (KitKat and above). The settings does contain some advanced developer settings so best to touch the ones you know about as we describe them to you and expand your knowledge on your own devices. Access to this DEV menu will provide users with a more deeper tweaking opportunity with their set up. From animation settings of your Stock Launcher and UI interactions to Run Time changes and even many test features! Remember that once you activate DEVELOPER OPTIONS you cannot get rid of it off your menu without a system wipe!

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Go to > SETTINGS > About Device > Scroll down to the section where you see BUILD NUMBER.

2. Repeatedly tap on Build Number itself, soon you will be presented with a count down indicating that you will become a developer in x amount of taps!

3. Once you’ve reached 0 you have achieved developer status!

4. Press BACK to return to the menu prior and now you should see DEVELOPER OPTIONS

After enabling DEVELOPER OPTIONS you can do the following below for your Note 4!

ACTIVATING ART

1. Go into SETTINGS > DEVELOPER OPTIONS

2. Click on “Select Runtime System”

3. Select ART and reboot

4. NOTE: The reboot process will alter all your apps to run with ART. This can take a while!
5. NOTE2: While many users reported better battery life and performance increases this can cause some apps to fail, if you experience issues simply revert your settings back to DALVIK by going to Settings > Developer Options and then tap “Select Runtime System”.

Changing UI Animation Speed

1. Go into SETTINGS > DEVELOPER OPTIONS

2. Scroll down to DRAWING section

3. You can change WINDOW ANIMATION SCALE speeds, Transition animation speeds, and Animator duration scales!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I do like the stock video player. With my Nexus 5 I had to download one from the Play Store because the stock Android player is garbage.

Nothing but Note! A little rim, some backboard, but mostly Note!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have owned the note 2 the 3 and two weeks ago upgraded to the 4. Love it. There are some features the previous didn't have. And tonight I was surprised by one. I was driving home and it alerted me about a car accident on my route. That's a great feature for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
One of my favorites features, and one I use each day, is "smart alarm."

Smart alarm turns the device on, 3 mins before your scheduled alarm time, with a slow gradual tone of a piano, and very dim lighting of the display.

It avoids being awaken by the sudden alarm.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
One of my favorites features, and one I use each day, is "smart alarm."

Smart alarm turns the device on, 3 mins before your scheduled alarm time, with a slow gradual tone of a piano, and very dim lighting of the display.

It avoids being awaken by the sudden alarm.

I like that. I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Here it is. I discovered the setting can be adjusted anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-30-06-34-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-06-34-05.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 508

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The Note 4 is just so feature rich and many that can be left redundant.

For the most part though I like the knowledge that its there should I ever need it.

I'm sure there will be ASOP ROMs for those that want the pure android experience. However I don't see the point in this as one buys the Note 4 for the fact its capable of almost everything :)

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

For the most part though I like the knowledge that its there should I ever need it.

I'm sure there will be ASOP ROMs for those that want the pure android experience. However I don't see the point in this as one buys the Note 4 for the fact its capable of almost everything :)

And that's a point that I constantly make to those that claim that these features are just gimmicks. They may be gimmicks to some, but others may get a lot of use from them.I know I do. I try to use as many of the features that I find useful as I can.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I have often wondered the same thing. Why would you spend 800+ on a phone just to strip it down? There are much cheaper phones or there.

johnnylighton

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have often wondered the same thing. Why would you spend 800+ on a phone just to strip it down? There are much cheaper phones or there.

Because for many of us the $800 pays for the hardware. The Samsung apps, for the most part, detract from the experience. Pure Android > TouchWiz and Samsung apps.

I was so tired of Samsung's take on Android after owning the Galaxy S3 that I almost didn't get the Note 4. There are some Samsung features I like a lot, such as the gestures, the phone app, and the clock app. But after living with pure Android on my Nexus 7, I like that much better. I'd rather choose my own apps like aCalender+ and Nova Launcher and have a cleaner and faster phone.

If they let us delete the Samsung apps we don't want and the carrier bloatware, it would be a different story. As it is, it's like buying a Porsche 911 S and having to tow a 200 lb weight sled behind it.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Because for many of us the $800 pays for the hardware. The Samsung apps, for the most part, detract from the experience. Pure Android > TouchWiz and Samsung apps.

I was so tired of Samsung's take on Android after owning the Galaxy S3 that I almost didn't get the Note 4. There are some Samsung features I like a lot, such as the gestures, the phone app, and the clock app. But after living with pure Android on my Nexus 7, I like that much better. I'd rather choose my own apps like aCalender+ and Nova Launcher and have a cleaner and faster phone.

If they let us delete the Samsung apps we don't want and the carrier bloatware, it would be a different story. As it is, it's like buying a Porsche 911 S and having to tow a 200 lb weight sled behind it.
Then it wouldn't be a Note 4. May as well get a Nexus 6.

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Has worked 95% of the time for me which is good enough :)

I probably get better than that. I used the fingerprint scanner 20 times a day and Love it! Fingersecurity app gives it better functionality. Great feature!

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

And I'm pretty sure a 200lb weight wouldn't slow a porche down lol

Get where your coming from but you know the Note 4 is going to be feature rich and if this is not for you then boy is there plenty of alternatives.

I personally leave everything bar some apps that I won't use, but all the main apps that makel the Note well a note are left.

If your after stock android then yeh the Nexus 6 makes more sense.

johnnylighton

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I get you about the Nexus 6 rather than than the Note 4 for people who prefer pure Android. I was really answering the question "why do people buy this phone wanting to strip it down?"

People enjoy various levels of customization. The best phone for people who don't care about it at all is the iPhone, especially now that they have bigger screens. They're excellent devices. But you're reading this so there's a reason you don't have iPhones. The spectrum continues to the middle and beyond to people who want different roms on their phones.

I chose the Note over the Nexus 6 because I wanted the screen, form factor, external SD card, removable battery, and overall level of development. I get to enjoy the TouchWiz features that I like, but would have bought a Note 4 Nexus model in a second if one were offered.

Different strokes for different folks. It's all good. :)

trickz20

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm just going to list a few things I use on a regular basis. I'm sure some of these aren't new and aren't really tricks.

First off if you want to speed up your note 4's performance go to, swipe down, settings, about device, hit build number 7 times and it will unblock developer options. Go to drawing category and for window animation scale, transition animation scale, animator duration scale, you will change from 1 second to .5 seconds. Disable S voice from the home button, remove briefing, and remove bloatware. You can youtube "how to speed up your galaxy note 4" to see each step!

Using the S-Pen in messages, click new message, hover the pen over the contact button next to "enter recipients" and it would give you a list of the last 4 contacts you messaged. At the bottom of the text message, where you write text, if you hover over the paperclip it will show you the last 4 photos you took for easy attachment.

S-Pen, hover over images in your gallery to get a preview and a few options, like delete, share, screen write, edit.

Hold down S-Pen button and select multiple photos at once. This will allow you to delete, share, etc multiple photos.

When in your contacts or in a text message if you motion the phone to your ear it will automatically call that contact.

Hit running apps button (left of home button) and on the right side of open apps you will see a little split screen button. You can use this to open split screen instead of holding down the back button.

If you have multiple apps open at the same time, as in you've resized them, if you hit the home button it will make small little icons of those apps that you can move anywhere you want on the screen.

Use two fingers to swipe down from the top. This won't pull down your notifications but rather a list of all your toggles.

I love using action memo to write contacts, or search something on the net, or write directions and send to the map.

When holding down the back button to bring up apps to use for split screen, you can create your own combination of apps to open. What I mean is instead of dragging over Chrome and then grabbing google maps, you can create that combination, so instead of dragging both you can drag your newly created 2 app combination to open in one click. To do this drag and select the 2 apps you always want to open together. When you've done this hold the back button again and at the very bottom of that panel will be a button called "create new". Now you can launch chrome and google maps in one click.

In split screen mode you can reverse which screen is on top and bottom and also select move content to drag and drop text, images, to the other screen.

In the text field of messages or browser with the s-pen hover over that area and hit the blue T button. You can write out the text with your pen rather than typing. This works for SMS messaging, e-mail, and browsing.

Just a few quick ones I could think of.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is old news. But if you go to wallpaper and hit lock screen only. There is option to choose called "my interest."

It will be loaded with tons of wallpapers that you can change every 1 to 12 hrs for the lock screen only. Categories range from drawing, travel, nature, landscape, night sky, pets and food.

There are some other options in there as well. Pretty cool

:cool:

This is one of the nicest little features this phone offers.

I have mine set to reimage every hour, and the photos/images are simply amazing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol