Slowest camera ever. Takes 10 seconds after tapping on picture for it to appear

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The Gallery app in note 4 is so leggy where as Quickpic is flawless and fast. How to remove gallery app as default app for camera?

No. You can change the default gallery app, but the camera will always link to the official gallery app. If you use google camera, it might load up your choice of gallery... but not from the stock camera.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I took a pic of my 4 month old and wanted to see the shot to check if it was blurry or not. Then my daughter moved the position she was sleeping in, so it didn't matter. My phone locked up for a solid minute so I changed my storage to internal and haven't had as big of a problem. Stupid SD cards! I have a love/hate relationship with them for sure.

It's pretty sad when a device as powerful as the Note 4 gets bogged down by a piece of crap SD card. Shameful.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Try a test shot or two with the HDR set to off.
Also download/try Google camera. With Google camera you can swipe from right to left just moments after the photo and see the shot.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I took a pic of my 4 month old and wanted to see the shot to check if it was blurry or not. Then my daughter moved the position she was sleeping in, so it didn't matter. My phone locked up for a solid minute so I changed my storage to internal and haven't had as big of a problem. Stupid SD cards! I have a love/hate relationship with them for sure.

It's pretty sad when a device as powerful as the Note 4 gets bogged down by a piece of crap SD card. Shameful.
What SD card are you using? I had a lot of trouble with my SanDisk card when I got my S4. I switched over to a Samsung card then, and haven't had any trouble since. I didn't even have to format my card for the Note 4 when I switched.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What SD card are you using? I had a lot of trouble with my SanDisk card when I got my S4. I switched over to a Samsung card then, and haven't had any trouble since. I didn't even have to format my card for the Note 4 when I switched.

Yeah there's no doubt it's that my card is a piece of crap. I in no way blame the Note for this behavior. I think it was a Sandisk, but I can't remember. I used it in two previous devices and just swapped it out into this one when I got it.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah there's no doubt it's that my card is a piece of crap. I in no way blame the Note for this behavior. I think it was a Sandisk, but I can't remember. I used it in two previous devices and just swapped it out into this one when I got it.
Yeah, switch it out, I bet you will be glad you did.

AustinLWright

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
The reason the lag occurs for some but not all is simple. Some people already have the gallery app open in the background before using the review feature in the camera app (~1.5 second lag) while others don't (~10 second lag). The gallery app itself takes a long time to load but with it running in the background, you shouldn't experience terrible lag. HTH.

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I tried changing settings in Gallery to view only content in device (as previously suggested), and it made a big difference. Much faster. I store my photos on a Samsung Pro 64 gb, and was having the same issue the OP discussed. After the suggested change, delay is about a second (long enough to say one thousand one, one thou. Lol).

Posted via the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The reason the lag occurs for some but not all is simple. Some people already have the gallery app open in the background before using the review feature in the camera app (~1.5 second lag) while others don't (~10 second lag). The gallery app itself takes a long time to load but with it running in the background, you shouldn't experience terrible lag. HTH.

I tried changing settings in Gallery to view only content in device (as previously suggested), and it made a big difference. Much faster. I store my photos on a Samsung Pro 64 gb, and was having the same issue the OP discussed. After the suggested change, delay is about a second (long enough to say one thousand one, one thou. Lol).

Posted via the Android Central App

These are both great suggestions. I have found that loading the gallery into memory before opening the camera greatly speeds up the loading of the image as well.

And telling the device what to display in the Gallery is important, too. If you are backing up your photos to Dropbox and/or Google+, by default the gallery looks in those folders, too. That will slow down the loading of the gallery if you don't turn off those views.

There is still a lag/hesitation if you have a lot of pictures on your device, but it isn't horrendous like it can be without making these adjustments.

AustinLWright

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I should note that even with internal storage, without the gallery app running in the background, you will still experience substantial lag. The lag gets more severe as the number of photos and number of sources (folders) increases.

AustinLWright

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
These are both great suggestions. I have found that loading the gallery into memory before opening the camera greatly speeds up the loading of the image as well.

And telling the device what to display in the Gallery is important, too. If you are backing up your photos to Dropbox and/or Google+, by default the gallery looks in those folders, too. That will slow down the loading of the gallery if you don't turn off those views.

There is still a lag/hesitation if you have a lot of pictures on your device, but it isn't horrendous like it can be without making these adjustments.

Exactly!