Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Hate Touch Whiz, but I like this phone.....HALP!?!?!?!?

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I left Samsuck after the Galaxy S3. Until then, all of my Android life had been Galaxy phones. I got the Moto X, never looked back.

Since the Moto X, I went to a N5. The weak camera, weak signal and weak battery swore me away from the Nexus 5, the only problem, base Android is OUTSTANDING.

I loathe TW, I hate the extreme bloatware Samsung puts on these phones. I hate the Samsung App store, music store, storage services, etc. Until I saw a buddies Note 3, I would have never conscidered coming back.

Fast forward to the Nexus 6. Big phone with a substandard screen, that gets 3.5 hours of battery time, and opens apps slow.... No. The Moto X is big, with a tiny battery also. I don't know what is going on, but it looks like Samsung has clawed its way back.

No HTC, as I hate Sense and Blinkfeed more than I hate Apple. LG's button lay out is ugly, and stupid, plus they lost me with that poor Nexus 5.

How is the Note 4? Does it still have that special brand of Touch Crap lag? Can you finally shut off all of that stupid Samsuck bloat? The S3 had a terrible radio also, have the Galaxy radios improved? Is there a base android ROM I can put on this thing and remove TW completely? Has there been any rumors of a GPE version?

Thanks guys.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Hate Touch Whiz, but I like this phone.....HALP!?!?!?!?

Judging by your first sentence, you may be hard to sway towards any Samsung product. If you are looking for stock Android, I would not go to the Note 4, as custom ROMs do not fully utilize the s-pen. I didn't know the Nexus 6 had a substandard screen.
Personally, the Note 4 does everything that I need a phone to do... Outstanding screen, great battery life, very good camera, fast charging and just all around fast. Sure, some people will tell you there's lag or that the battery life sucks. There's always people to complain about everything. There's a phone for everyone. Everyone has their own opinions.

Grovzy1080

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Check out Flossy Carters and DetroitBorg YouTube reviews. Personally I love my Note4. Touch Wiz is what it is. There is a lag when opening my Recent apps. However coming from the S3 I can tell you it is far less noticeable on the Note.

Posted via my Sprint Note 4

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

Judging by your first sentence, you may be hard to sway towards any Samsung product. If you are looking for stock Android, I would not go to the Note 4, as custom ROMs do not fully utilize the s-pen. I didn't know the Nexus 6 had a substandard screen.
Personally, the Note 4 does everything that I need a phone to do... Outstanding screen, great battery life, very good camera, fast charging and just all around fast. Sure, some people will tell you there's lag or that the battery life sucks. There's always people to complain about everything. There's a phone for everyone. Everyone has their own opinions.

I haven't heard a single negative with the Note 4 battery. How is the radio? The Galaxy S3 had a craptacularly bad radio, and the battery drained faster than my wallet at Microcenter.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I think it would be more appropriate for you to actually try one yourself. You seem to have very specific smartphone needs and have been discontented by a lot of other devices. Some of those devices you said were substandard or problematic I actually liked. So I don't know if me vouching for the Note 4 is going to do any good.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

I think it would be more appropriate for you to actually try one yourself. You seem to have very specific smartphone needs and have been discontented by a lot of other devices. Some of those devices you said were substandard or problematic I actually liked. So I don't know if me vouching for the Note 4 is going to do any good.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

Actually, I don't, nor did I list anything, except for my love for base Android. You can't use a phone in the store and tell if you like it, which is why I post on a forum, made for people who own the device.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

My requirements: A better radio than the S3, a battery that doesn't suck like the S3, a phone that doesn't lag like the S3. My last Galaxy device was.... the S3.

The Nexus 5 battery, sucks. The Nexus 5 radio, sucks. Reviews say the Nexus 6 and Moto X 2014 batteries suck. I can't judge the S4 nor the S5, nor any notes, because I didn't use them.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

My requirements: A better radio than the S3, a battery that doesn't suck like the S3, a phone that doesn't lag like the S3. My last Galaxy device was.... the S3.

The Nexus 5 battery, sucks. The Nexus 5 radio, sucks. Reviews say the Nexus 6 and Moto X 2014 batteries suck. I can't judge the S4 nor the S5, nor any notes, because I didn't use them.

And this is what the above poster meant. Some of the things you're saying about your previous phones don't make sense to some of us. Sucky battery on the S3? My experience with the S3 was so positive I haven't branched off Samsung since. Literally would last me 4-5 days standby on a single charge with 3+ hours of screen time.

Hate HTC Sense? Most people agree it's probably the smoothest and best performing of all the oem custom android skins, even though I've never tried a HTC phone. Just some of these remarks ring the opposite from what I've heard so it sounds strange.

So like people have said, you sound like you have very specific preferences so the most common advice probably won't apply to you.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

And this is what the above poster meant. Some of the things you're saying about your previous phones don't make sense to some of us. Sucky battery on the S3? My experience with the S3 was so positive I haven't branched off Samsung since. Literally would last me 4-5 days standby on a single charge with 3+ hours of screen time.

Hate HTC Sense? Most people agree it's probably the smoothest and best performing of all the oem custom android skins, even though I've never tried a HTC phone. Just some of these remarks ring the opposite from what I've heard so it sounds strange.

So like people have said, you sound like you have very specific preferences so the most common advice probably won't apply to you.

Your S3 lasted 3-4 days??? ROFL!! no.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Note has no lag and a great battery. Touch wiz isn't that bad. Just use a different Launcher, disable the double tap for s voice, and speed up animations under developer options.

And if you're into root then flash a good Touch Wiz ROM. I'm using a touch wiz rom (only touch wiz roms are available right now anyway. No AOSP yet). The ROM I'm on has dramatically increased speed, performance, sound, picture quality, and battery life. Plus I've themed, debloated, and will never have ads again.

There is no device more powerful right now than a rooted Note 4. This rom is lightning fast. I forgot what lag was until I got on my ipad. Not only is it fast, but about 90% of the people on this ROM are reporting at the very least 5 hrs screen time. I've seen a couple with 6.5/7 hrs screen on time.

Get the Note 4. Don't think about it any longer. It's a hell of a device. You won't regret it. I promise. And on the offhand that you do, the most you'll have to do is go back to the store and get a refund.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

Note has no lag and a great battery. Touch wiz isn't that bad. Just use a different Launcher, disable the double tap for s voice, and speed up animations under developer options.

And if you're into root then flash a good Touch Wiz ROM. I'm using a touch wiz rom (only touch wiz roms are available right now anyway. No AOSP yet). The ROM I'm on has dramatically increased speed, performance, sound, picture quality, and battery life. Plus I've themed, debloated, and will never have ads again.

There is no device more powerful right now than a rooted Note 4. This rom is lightning fast. I forgot what lag was until I got on my ipad. Not only is it fast, but about 90% of the people on this ROM are reporting at the very least 5 hrs screen time. I've seen a couple with 6.5/7 hrs screen on time.

Get the Note 4. Don't think about it any longer. It's a hell of a device. You won't regret it. I promise. And on the offhand that you do, the most you'll have to do is go back to the store and get a refund.
Wow, thanks. You have a link with the flash instructions and the ROM? I will be buying full price, no contract.

How is your radio? I had heard that the Note 2 had a much better radio than the Galaxy S3. That phone's radio was just BAD.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I find it a strange question and there are so many factors to take into account when it comes to the radios in phones.

You can have the best of the best radio but if the signal going to that radio is poor then is that the radio or the mast/signal?

I'm no expert by any means but I do understand that there will be so many fluctuations. Mine is solid and have no complaints but others might and I again retort many factors come into play I presume.

You'll have a 14 day window to try as your buying unlocked.

Take it for a test drive and see how you get on :)

Posted via the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

If you're one who regurgitates the "Samsuck" insult, this phone won't change your mind. It's an amazing phone but it still has a lot of the weaknesses that Samsung has. I took a photo today and it lagged for a solid 15 seconds trying to exit the camera app. I was about to hard reset my device. I'm even running a launcher and it still lags.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I haven't heard a single negative with the Note 4 battery. How is the radio? The Galaxy S3 had a craptacularly bad radio, and the battery drained faster than my wallet at Microcenter.
My radio is decent. No dropped calls, no time without a signal. My last Note 3 after the 4.4.2 update was horrific. I finally got a warranty replacement and it was fine since then. It is definitely not impacting my battery life in the least bit. There has been enough evidence of Note 4 owners to show that the battery life is excellent. If you are not getting great battery life on this, it's usually a rogue app, app settings or a bad device.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

If you're one who regurgitates the "Samsuck" insult, this phone won't change your mind. It's an amazing phone but it still has a lot of the weaknesses that Samsung has. I took a photo today and it lagged for a solid 15 seconds trying to exit the camera app. I was about to hard reset my device. I'm even running a launcher and it still lags.

That's why I swapped my note 4 for a turbo. Has not stuttered once.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Meh, Note 4 still a better phone.

That's subjective and obviously the previous poster was dissatisfied in regards to the Note 4.

The droid Turbo is what is suited to him.

Lag is also subjective I have the G3 and many said it lagged I didn't suffer from it.

Same applies to the Note 4 it's blazingly fast but that's not saying others may have experienced lag.
For me I am really enjoying my Note 4 experience.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

Actually, the title says you are wrong, that's if you actually read. I really like the screen, form factor, brightness and the pen. I hate Touch Whiz, and yes, the S3 drove me to say Samsuck. I don't know what to tell you. Answer some of the questions or not[language removed by moderator]

Surprise, there are a ton of people who hate Touch Whiz. It's okay for us to do just that. That does't mean a Samsuck device doesn't have merit, it just means that as a matter course, I hate Touch Whiz and hate Samsung. Doesn't mean I can't like a Samsuck device.

Samsuck wouldn't get hated so bad if they learned to update a phone on time, and reduced the double bloat in Touch Whiz.

That said, how is the Note 4 radio? That was never answered. Is it better than the S3? That radio was plain flat out terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

My radio is decent. No dropped calls, no time without a signal. My last Note 3 after the 4.4.2 update was horrific. I finally got a warranty replacement and it was fine since then. It is definitely not impacting my battery life in the least bit. There has been enough evidence of Note 4 owners to show that the battery life is excellent. If you are not getting great battery life on this, it's usually a rogue app, app settings or a bad device.

Thank you sir.

Trinatek

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Sure, some people will tell you there's lag or that the battery life sucks. There's always people to complain about everything.

Look, I love my Note 4, but "There's always people that complain about everything," is really not a good excuse. The Note 4 lags from time to time. That's just an objective fact.

Note has no lag and a great battery.

That's just false. Again, I love my Note 4. But there is lag from time to time on the phone. Every time you pull up recent apps for example, it lags. Every. Time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463