11-19-2014 08:08 PM
47 12
tools
    Long pressing the Google Keyboard will get me my numbers when I need them, and I like the keyboard to be as minimalistic as possible while still having functionality. So getting adjusted to the occassional long press has been perfect for what I need the keyboard to do. I get why people love SwiftKey though. It's definitely the best keyboard on the market if it does well for you with the predictive engine it uses.
    Using the Google keyboard again and quite like it ..like it better then when I used it on the nexus 5. Tried it a bit when they released the new one a few weeks ago but went back to swiftkey. I think we can mostly agree the Samsung keyboard sucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    11-17-2014 11:30 AM
    If you don't use the S-pen then the Note 4 isn't much different than the other phablets on the market. The differentiator is the S-pen.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
    It still has some big advantages over the other two big phablets:

• Vs G3: Snapdragon 805, which can actually keep up with the QHD display. Band 12 LTE support for T-Mobile. Brighter display. Better battery life. While I think stock Android is the best, TouchWiz is still better than what LG uses.
    • Nexus 6: Dramatically better display (especially brightness) and battery life. Plus it is smaller while having a similar usable screen size due to the capacitive buttons. Removable back + SD card.

I'd say even excluding the S-Pen it's the best of the options, it's just a matter of if it was really worth the extra $100 over the G3.
    Kronko likes this.
    11-17-2014 11:37 AM
    Why bother with the default keyboard, when the world's best one SWIFTKEY is available.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    11-17-2014 11:43 AM
    It still has some big advantages over the other two big phablets:

• Vs G3: Snapdragon 805, which can actually keep up with the QHD display. Band 12 LTE support for T-Mobile. Brighter display. Better battery life. While I think stock Android is the best, TouchWiz is still better than what LG uses.
    • Nexus 6: Dramatically better display (especially brightness) and battery life. Plus it is smaller while having a similar usable screen size due to the capacitive buttons. Removable back + SD card.

I'd say even excluding the S-Pen it's the best of the options, it's just a matter of if it was really worth the extra $100 over the G3.
    $200 difference since I know bestbuy offering it for $99 and Costco is selling it for $79 for the G3

11-17-2014 11:45 AM
    I like the stock Samsung keyboard a lot. Love that the top row has numbers.

If it's the row of numbers on the top that 'sells' the stock keyboard for you, you can also set up the top row of numbers to show on Swiftkey, and Thumb Keyboard has a little numberpad if you use the alternate 5" screen layout. There's also Hacker's Keyboard which comes with a full number row plus a lot of other things (like arrow keys) that show right from install. So, there's a few keyboards you can try that have the numbers readily available. And, if you don't like either of them better after trying, you can easily uninstall.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    11-17-2014 12:09 PM
    If it's the row of numbers on the top that 'sells' the stock keyboard for you, you can also set up the top row of numbers to show on Swiftkey, and Thumb Keyboard has a little numberpad if you use the alternate 5" screen layout. So, there's two keyboards you can try that have the numbers readily available. And, if you don't like either of them better after trying, you can easily uninstall.
    But I like the Samsung keyboard. So, I don't feel the need to explore another keyboard.

11-17-2014 12:11 PM
    So I just purchased my note 4 (2yr contract). While this camera and screen are great, here is something wrong. I get home and start playing around with the phone and i realize the key pad is bothering me. And so are some of the ways the capacitive buttons work. I really like how my note 2 is working and the keyboard layout. Even webpages I visit seem to be better on my note 2.

Did anyone else have this problem. I kind of feel a little buyers remorse in getting the note 4. Hopefully this is something I will grow out of during my 14 days with it. I was so excited and now i kind of feel let down.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Since moving to Android years ago, I've never used the stock keyboard. Since day one, I've used Swiftkey. Give it a try for free. It's extremely customizable and predictive. Nothing better, IMHO.

11-17-2014 12:34 PM
    Can you use the S-pen on the Swiftkey keyboard?

11-17-2014 01:52 PM
    I tried swift key and just didn't like it on the 2. I thought Google keyboard was ok. I'll give them a try on the n4. The stock keyboard on n2 just felt right.

11-17-2014 02:05 PM
    $200 difference since I know bestbuy offering it for $99 and Costco is selling it for $79 for the G3

I'm not buying on contract.
    11-17-2014 03:09 PM
    Can you use the S-pen on the Swiftkey keyboard?

Yes you can. I just typed this response with it.
    11-17-2014 03:31 PM
    Yes you can. I just typed this response with it.
    I mean is there a space to use the s pen to write like there is on the Samsung keyboard?

LaTuFu likes this.
    11-17-2014 03:40 PM
    Oh Gotcha . Just tried that myself for the first time. new toy! thankS, Doc!
    11-17-2014 03:59 PM

The g3 highest price point was $199. And already selling them for $80. Look how long it took the note 3 to drop in price, that says a lot in my opinion.
    11-17-2014 04:07 PM
    But I like the Samsung keyboard. So, I don't feel the need to explore another keyboard.

I understand. I just wanted to point out that if it was that particular feature, other keyboards can do it. That's the great thing about Android, though. There's lots of options so each user can get it working just the way they want to with whatever feels best.
    11-17-2014 05:15 PM
    So I just purchased my note 4 (2yr contract). While this camera and screen are great, here is something wrong. I get home and start playing around with the phone and i realize the key pad is bothering me. And so are some of the ways the capacitive buttons work. I really like how my note 2 is working and the keyboard layout. Even webpages I visit seem to be better on my note 2.

Did anyone else have this problem. I kind of feel a little buyers remorse in getting the note 4. Hopefully this is something I will grow out of during my 14 days with it. I was so excited and now i kind of feel let down.

Zero regrets here.... In fact, its the first phone i have ever had that i actually think i can stay with more than a few months! Title of my video on it says i ALL!

note 4 regret!?-my-vid-thrumbnail.png

BTC
    11-17-2014 06:20 PM
    I think I have gotten to the point with my Note 4 that I am completely comfortable with it and have fully integrated it with all aspects of my life. It is a keeper. Been looking for a smartphone that would cure my phone swapping addiction and I have finally found it. 2015 is going to be a great year for me and my Note 4

11-19-2014 03:53 AM
    I've gotten use to everything now. I think I may be taking it back though because my sound is low. I tested YouTube videos and the note 2 is way louder than the note 4 I have. I did a few different sound meters and the note 4 registers on average 10 decibels lower. If it was 1 or 2 I wouldn't care but 10 is a pretty big deal! Especially since I use it as a music player. And sometimes it goes even lower than that. i may have just got a defective speaker. But I'm really starting to like this phone.

11-19-2014 04:35 PM
    I've gotten use to everything now. I think I may be taking it back though because my sound is low. I tested YouTube videos and the note 2 is way louder than the note 4 I have. I did a few different sound meters and the note 4 registers on average 10 decibels lower. If it was 1 or 2 I wouldn't care but 10 is a pretty big deal! Especially since I use it as a music player. And sometimes it goes even lower than that. i may have just got a defective speaker. But I'm really starting to like this phone.

Just out of curiosity, is the Note 2 just louder, or is the sound quality better in general?
    11-19-2014 05:30 PM
    I think the n4 has a better sound quality overall. However, it is definitely lower. And it swaps in and out from the speaker to the ear speaker

11-19-2014 05:40 PM
    here is what I mean speaker wise

11-19-2014 05:49 PM
    A good free keyboard is swiftkey been using it for years
    11-19-2014 08:08 PM
47 12