How much lag is there on the user interface?

Daniel P1

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I am interested in purchasing the Note 4. The thing I went to a local Best Buy to see the demo model and it was super laggy. I honestly don't know if it says TouchWiz or something was wrong with the phone. There was noticeable lag going through the home screens and going through the menu and stuff. Does it lag like that in regular usage or is it the demo software that is not properly optimize?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
One key thing about android performance is caching. With demo units people are testing things left and right so memory resources will be low and various applications may be cached that may not be the ones you're trying to launch so you'll see lag as android unloads unneeded apps from memory to make room for launching others. Clearing cache and then rebooting will give a better out of box experience I suppose but in the end that demo software that brings back the slideshows when idle is probably taking up some resources and causing some of the lag that is seen.

Once you're using a device the way you want to use it things will settle in. Furthermore, if you disable software you don't need then the software that you do need will have more resources available to them (or for them to remain cached for quick access) and performance will greatly improve. This is where rooting and debloating can really help too (for disabling applications that you can't disable without it).

Personally I can't stand stock touchwiz LAUNCHER so on any Samsung device I purchase I'll install Nova Launcher as the first application I install after setting up my google account. This phone is very snappy and I love it. I'm sure you will too.

That said there's some lag sometimes like when in camera and trying to switch to the gallery there will be a few seconds of delay before the gallery comes up. Once the gallery is up though its great. Also the recent applications menu takes a few seconds to come up as well if the listing is substantial. Those are basically the two most significant slowdowns I notice. Others that I see are typical of connection latency so I can't fault the device (slow page loads in browser or browser scrolling when page load isnt complete etc.).

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It's not as laggy as people say it it. It's just some lagg here and there. Nothing major unless you are a lagg queen.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Trinatek

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Some apps and games just aren't correctly optimized for the Note 4 and will lag. For example, I play a graphically simple game called World Series of Poker (WSOP). It's just a 2D poker game but the performance is well below where it should be on this phone. Some apps and games are perfectly optimized for the Note 4 and will run fine.

Then there's the recent apps button on your phone. This button lags 10 out of 10 times, if you have 4+ recently opened apps in the background. This is extra annoying for me in particular because the way I hold the phone I always seem to accidentally click the recent apps button on my phone with the side of my palm.

I love my phone, but as of right now with stock rom, there's definitely some UI and app/game lag and or stutter.