Samsung Galaxy Note 4 All the recent iPhone converts...do you miss anything?

trickz20

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: All the recent iPhone converts...do you miss anything?

I used to have an iPhone 4S and I don't miss a single thing about it!! Not one!! In fact I'm just happy I wake everyday knowing I have a note 4 and not an iphone :p

I jailbroke my 4s so that I could actually do cool things with my iphone. Regular IOS was far too boring for me and the simplicity of it, meh I'd rather have loads of features and functions. Note 4 to me is by far light years ahead of the iphone. Iphone 6 plus is just a big screen and doesn't capitalize on the screens size.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I miss my 10h screen on time from the iPhone 6:$

Posted via the Android Central App
Riiiiiiggghhht, 10 hours screen on time. Apple displays usage, not screen on time. There is no way you got 10 hours screen on time with an iPhone.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Riiiiiiggghhht, 10 hours screen on time. Apple displays usage, not screen on time. There is no way you got 10 hours screen on time with an iPhone.

How about the people on this board showing close to 8 hours screen time with our Notes? I don't understand how all these people are getting these readings

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't miss it even after all those years. It is true that iPhone stuff at least for me just seemed to work without any fuss...no learning curve...no nothing. But at the end of the day there just wasn't anything there. Think about what they are getting for those things!. The more I think about what we get in an N4, the more the iPhone6 and 6+ look to me like highway robbery. So it has a marginally better camera and you need to learn the N4 camera to get the most out of it...big deal.

I hate to be so critical but in truth I am being critical of myself as well....well maybe not that much because I think the N4 with the upgrades to screen, S-pen and other functionality is the one that really kicks a guy like me over the fence. If I had gone and gotten either a 6 or a 6+ I would be questioning my sanity at this point and my value structure as it relates to mobile devices.

I love Mac computers. All the computers in this house are Macs save one. To be honest, IMO the dif between an iPhone6 or 6+ and many of the Android phone/phablets but especially this one is so great that people are going to start to question their dedication to Mac computers. If the value comparison is this out of whack for mobile devices, what are the chances that it is out of whack for laptops? So many of us waited for the 6 and 6+ to come out, knowing what the release schedule was for both Apple and Sammy that I don't think anything could have been more damaging to Apple than having them come out right on top of each other.

That said, Apple is selling zillions of the 6 and the 6+. But I have to think much of that is Android reputation vs iPhone reputation and people not quite willing to trust Android again or for the first time. That combined with the people here that are justifiably concerned with not being able to communicate with their iPhone friends and family possibly work associates the same way.....the way they have grown used to and that works for them.

Last edited:

Aaron Ye

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The app scaling. Iphone makes full use of the big screen real estate.

Where else. Note 4 feels like a constant "zoomed" setting on iPhone 6 plus. Everything looks blown up. There's no proper usage of the larger screen size. Why would I buy a phabet just to have fronts and tabs looks bigger? That's not the purposes..

I have both 6 plus and note 4. Put them side by side. App and UI on note 4 looks it's design for elderly with poor vision. Theres technically no advantage of owning a bigger screen. Whereelse the iPhone in the "normal zoom" setting shows more content and scales nicely.

Eg.. Look at Skype UI on note 4 and iPhone 6 plus for example. Iphone shows more content more lines in a single page.

Anyway I'm going back to iPhone 6 plus. Just based on the app screen scaling alone.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The app scaling. Iphone makes full use of the big screen real estate.

Where else. Note 4 feels like a constant "zoomed" setting on iPhone 6 plus. Everything looks blown up. There's no proper usage of the larger screen size. Why would I buy a phabet just to have fronts and tabs looks bigger? That's not the purposes..

I have both 6 plus and note 4. Put them side by side. App and UI on note 4 looks it's design for elderly with poor vision. Theres technically no advantage of owning a bigger screen. Whereelse the iPhone in the "normal zoom" setting shows more content and scales nicely.

Eg.. Look at Skype UI on note 4 and iPhone 6 plus for example. Iphone shows more content more lines in a single page.

Anyway I'm going back to iPhone 6 plus. Just based on the app screen scaling alone.

If you're talking about app icon size you know you can change that right? In fact, you can change size, placement, shape, size if text, type of font, shadow behind font etc.

And in some apps you can change how "zoomed in" you are with pinch/expand

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It's been I over 2 years since I changed. I miss 2 things: I message because I can send videos that are received clear and watchable, and iTunes because I have 25 gigs of music on there. A good majority are before they started going drm free.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
How about the people on this board showing close to 8 hours screen time with our Notes? I don't understand how all these people are getting these readings

Most of the people that get insane screen on time shut everything off and lower screen brightness dramatically. If you turn off location, bluetooth, auto sync etc. and leave your brightness at 10% you will get some pretty strong screen on times. Me personally, I leave everything on all the time and am satisfied with 3-4 hours of screen on time. I don't know how people have that much time to use their phone in a day anyways.

Bordcla

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Not trying to stir the pot here, as I love the note 4 and I'm keeping it...

But a simple conclusion I have to come too, and this is obviously subjective...

The note 4 does much more than the iphone can, but the iphone does what they can both do better.

While I do not agree with this statement completely, I would agree that for the basic things, the iPhones do work really well... until the point where they no longer work!

That's been my main issue with them, as the OS gets updated and the batteries fade and die...

It's true that the original OS works smoother and faster than Android, without the same occasional stutters. iOS is less demanding of its user than Android, which requires the occasional forced app closure, reboot, or forced stop to fix small glitches. The Apple's predictive text algorithm is also very good, and for "basic needs" (i.e., email, SMS, web browsing, etc.), iPhones are highly efficient and capable devices. iMessage and Facetime are fantastic.

But when one considers the price and longevity of the Apple phones vs the Note 4, I personally feel that the premium to be paid is not worth it. My Note 4 does the same things, sometimes with a minuscule stutter, sometimes requiring intervention on my part, but so far nothing major, but for so much less money. And it does a lot more things that just can't be done with an iPhone. I feel that from a value for money standpoint, it is currently ahead of the iPhones.

We'll see in a few generations; if they come up with an equivalent to the iPhone 6 Plus that would have similar capabilities to the Note 4 (pen, note-taking abilities, widgets) and improves on the longevity and cost standpoint, then perhaps I'd go back because of how seamless iPhones are to use.

One thing is for certain: now that I've learned how to make an Android phone work properly, I'll no longer be afraid to switch and go for whatever works best or makes the most sense from a value-for-money standpoint anymore!

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

While I do not agree with this statement completely, I would agree that for the basic things, the iPhones do work really well... until the point where they no longer work!

That's been my main issue with them, as the OS gets updated and the batteries fade and die...

It's true that the original OS works smoother and faster than Android, without the same occasional stutters. iOS is less demanding of its user than Android, which requires the occasional forced app closure, reboot, or forced stop to fix small glitches. The Apple's predictive text algorithm is also very good, and for "basic needs" (i.e., email, SMS, web browsing, etc.), iPhones are highly efficient and capable devices. iMessage and Facetime are fantastic.

But when one considers the price and longevity of the Apple phones vs the Note 4, I personally feel that the premium to be paid is not worth it. My Note 4 does the same things, sometimes with a minuscule stutter, sometimes requiring intervention on my part, but so far nothing major, but for so much less money. And it does a lot more things that just can't be done with an iPhone. I feel that from a value for money standpoint, it is currently ahead of the iPhones.

We'll see in a few generations; if they come up with an equivalent to the iPhone 6 Plus that would have similar capabilities to the Note 4 (pen, note-taking abilities, widgets) and improves on the longevity and cost standpoint, then perhaps I'd go back because of how seamless iPhones are to use.

One thing is for certain: now that I've learned how to make an Android phone work properly, I'll no longer be afraid to switch and go for whatever works best or makes the most sense from a value-for-money standpoint anymore!

I agree that after awhile the iPhone batteries fade (all batteries do), and I do like my Note 4 better, and it is a better bang for your buck when it comes to memory. But Apple has great customer service.

When I walked in with a power button issue they gave me a new iPhone. When it's battery finally started to fade I came in and they gave me another free iPhone. When I brought in my old MacBook Pro power cord that broke, they gave me a new one for free. You can't beat that.

Plus, I never updated my phone ios to the next generation ones. Those are always optimized for newer phones and make older ones slower. I still have the old ios on my iPod touch and it works great

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Overall I love the phone, and have no intention of switching back to an iphone, or any other phone...but there are a few things I miss.

First and most important is the camera, mainly the low light.

Second, this may sound dumb..but the way you copy and paste text on the iphone is much easier. Not that it's hard on the note, but it's def not as easy, especially one handing it.

Texting (predictive text) drives me off the wall. I hated auto correct until I tried this lol.

Overall I find ios to be more intuitive as a whole, that's where the simplicity is their greatest asset.

Obviously with all that comes the obvious trade offs...

I explain it like this: I have both iPhone 6 and Note 4. The iPhone: when the software isn't buggy...well it just works...reliable apps, great call quality. The google maps are tweaky tho. Not on the note....and the Note 4: its fun! Very customizable and very nice screen... And it works as well so I wind up using the Note for fun and the iPhone for various business apps.

Bordcla

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
If you're talking about app icon size you know you can change that right? In fact, you can change size, placement, shape, size if text, type of font, shadow behind font etc.

And in some apps you can change how "zoomed in" you are with pinch/expand

Could you explain how to do what you describe? Still an Android rookie here...

alpinecivic

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I miss group texting my family. I switched from iPhone 5 to the note 3 a year ago (I now have a Note 4) and group messaging hasn't worked right since.

A couple of my cousins, my wife, and I have a group text going, individually I get all their messages, but no matter what I've tried, I don't receive messages from 2 of my cousins or my wife when group texting. I'm the only one with an Android phone everyone else is on iPhone's.

I wish I could figure it out. I really hate imessage right now.

dan138zig

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site

currently missing the undo function dearly. it only takes one mistap to wipe a 30 minutes worth of forum post.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone (albeit an iPhone 4) but I never seem to want to use it. ...could be because it's puny but when I do force myself to use it it seems so very...plain. I don't want to feel that way and I think tomorrow I'm gonna make myself use it all day. ...or maybe on Saturday...or maybe one day next week.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to say, amidst all this" "missing iPhone" talk, that I'm 2 months in and I still love my Note 4. I'm pretty sure I was bored with my old iPhone after a couple of months

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to say, amidst all this" "missing iPhone" talk, that I'm 2 months in and I still love my Note 4. I'm pretty sure I was bored with my old iPhone after a couple of months

That kinda got me thinking....

I think Apple really depends on the apps to inform and entertain while trying to keep the UI in the background. With android the UI can be customized and can be more in the foreground informing and entertaining by itself. The downside is that while very few would be intimidated by iOS some are by android. Another possible downside is that it may take more RAM on the android side to accomplish the smooth experience that the iPhone is giving with less. Perhaps not though...there are android phones with 1GB that function okay ...but none that I'd want.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I miss group texting my family. I switched from iPhone 5 to the note 3 a year ago (I now have a Note 4) and group messaging hasn't worked right since.

A couple of my cousins, my wife, and I have a group text going, individually I get all their messages, but no matter what I've tried, I don't receive messages from 2 of my cousins or my wife when group texting. I'm the only one with an Android phone everyone else is on iPhone's.

I wish I could figure it out. I really hate imessage right now.

Have you seen the many posts floating around where people have trouble converting because of iMessage? It may not have been "shut off" properly. Have you checked into that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX