I've hust bougt a Note 4 and have installed a 64Gb card in it.
    I have transfered a lot of music onto it from iTunes (drag & dropped to card>android>data>com.google.android.music>files) but I cannot seem to see it whilst using the phone.
    Is there a particular location on the card (or phone) that I need to put all my music for it to show up?
    Which app is best to install for listening to music.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Galaxy Note 4 (SIM free) running 4.4.4
    Samsung EVO 64Gb Micro SD card
    Tesco SIM
    gnr_2 likes this.
    11-17-2014 07:45 AM
    I've hust bougt a Note 4 and have installed a 64Gb card in it.
    I have transfered a lot of music onto it from iTunes (drag & dropped to card>android>data>com.google.android.music>files) but I cannot seem to see it whilst using the phone.
    Is there a particular location on the card (or phone) that I need to put all my music for it to show up?
    Which app is best to install for listening to music.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Galaxy Note 4 (SIM free) running 4.4.4
    Samsung EVO 64Gb Micro SD card
    Tesco SIM
    ----------------------------

When you did the drag & drop, you could have put it anywhere on the card. I would hook up the Note 4 with a usb to micro cable to a pc..Then you can go on the PC, then onto the Note 4, and see where you put your music. There you can move it around if need be to a folder where it would be see. Also, you can go on your Note 4, and go to "my files", and there your music files location should be visible.

BTW, I am newbie myself, just learning as I go along..
    Dave Reid1 likes this.
    11-17-2014 08:47 AM
    I would suggest that you just use Google Play Music and pin the playlists that you want to storage on your phone. That way every time you update your iTunes your Play Music gets updated as well. It's very easy.
    Dave Reid1 likes this.
    11-17-2014 08:51 AM
    Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I did - hooked it up to the pc and surfed to my iTunes music storage folder and just c&p'd them.

I chose that location purely because of the name, thinking the built-In music player would pick up on it and allow me to see them from within the app. Sadly, that did not happen. I am now beginning to think that this is where all the Google-downloaded music will be stored.

Does this mean that whenever I want to listen to some music, I have to open the my files folder, browse the 100's of folders and choose a song? Do I have to do this for every song?

Once again, thanks very much for replying. Dave.
    11-17-2014 08:58 AM
    I would suggest that you just use Google Play Music and pin the playlists that you want to storage on your phone. That way every time you update your iTunes your Play Music gets updated as well. It's very easy.
    Do you mean my iTunes playlists? I have over 40k tracks in iTunes, and don't want to sync them as I'd need about 20 SD cards lol. What I really want to do is have an app that I can browse my music from within, choose a track or an album and play it. Dave
    11-17-2014 09:02 AM
    The directory you dropped it in is one of the few you shouldn't have. Google Play Music uses that directory for offline caching and uses a .nomedia file to keep the default media scanner from finding the files. It does that because it uses its own database to keep track of the songs.

I don't use much non-Play Music, but just drop them in a new folder called /Music or something, and make sure there is not a .nomedia file in there.
    fwinst and Dave Reid1 like this.
    11-17-2014 09:07 AM
    Can you explain in more detail please? I assume this is all while phone is connected to your pc or it can be done at anytime?
    11-17-2014 10:24 AM
    No. Once you set it up it syncs OTA. Any time now that I add a song to my iTunes list it is automatically added to the play list on my phone. You set up the Google Play Music Manager on your PC, tell it which playlists you want synced and Google does the rest. Very easy, I love it.
    gnr_2 likes this.
    11-17-2014 10:33 AM
    Do you mean my iTunes playlists? I have over 40k tracks in iTunes, and don't want to sync them as I'd need about 20 SD cards lol. What I really want to do is have an app that I can browse my music from within, choose a track or an album and play it. Dave
    Again, I am a newbie like you.

I use Poweramp.. That allows me to pick the album and/or folder I want to play. And once I do that, Poweramp goes to work.. Plus, I be pushing FLAC files, and hooked up with my bluetooth headphones, both sporting apt-x, which all the Notes support, and with that, I be pushing sweet sound across bluetooth. BTW, those FLAC files are about 4 to 5 times bigger than the MP3 files.. too..

Luck to you,
    Dave Reid1 likes this.
    11-17-2014 04:32 PM

I use Poweramp.. That allows me to pick the album and/or folder I want to play. And once I do that, Poweramp goes to work.. Plus, I be pushing FLAC files, and hooked up with my bluetooth headphones, both sporting apt-x, which all the Notes support, and with that, I be pushing sweet sound across bluetooth. BTW, those FLAC files are about 4 to 5 times bigger than the MP3 files.. too..

Luck to you,
    Thanks. I used to use power amp back in the day on my PC, and liked it. I might give it another try. I collect live concerts, all of which I store in Flac format. I have over 5000 shows stored in this format.

Out of interest, do you just use FLAC to keep the size down or are you using it for another reason?

Dave.
    11-18-2014 04:42 AM

Luck to you,
    I use Media Monkey to sync my music files. It'll put the files where they need to be.
    Dave Reid1 likes this.
    11-18-2014 07:39 AM
    Thanks. I used to use power amp back in the day on my PC, and liked it. I might give it another try. I collect live concerts, all of which I store in Flac format. I have over 5000 shows stored in this format.

Out of interest, do you just use FLAC to keep the size down or are you using it for another reason?

Dave.
    FLAC to keep the size down?

On the contrary, FLAC files are super big...

Example, I looked at the size of one FLAC file and it was 15mb,

Whereas, MP3 files are something like 2 to 6mb.

I use FLAC files because you can hear HI RES AUDIO(192kHz/24bit). The FLAC files have more information, therefore, you can hear more clarity, hi(s),lows, instruments, that is, if your equipment can handle HI RES AUDIO...

On my Note 4, if I want the ultimate sound, I hook up my Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 headphones, wired in to my Note 4. From there, playing FLAC files I am getting HI RES AUDIO playing out of my Note 4.. Even UNWIRED, I can get better audio that plain bluetooth, because of the apt x coding on my Note 4, and Headphones.. But, the killer audio comes when you are wired, listening to FLAC, through Hi Res Audio capable headphones..
    Dave Reid1 likes this.
    11-18-2014 09:06 AM
    FLAC to keep the size down?

On the contrary, FLAC files are super big...

Example, I looked at the size of one FLAC file and it was 15mb,

Whereas, MP3 files are something like 2 to 6mb.

I use FLAC files because you can hear HI RES AUDIO(192kHz/24bit..
    I always thought that FLAC was a compression cabinet for different media formats, and not an actual media format in itself (although I appreciate that more and more players will play FLAC files today)

. If you were to uncompress a hires FLAC file, it would be even more enormous. Hence the name (Free Lossless Audio Codec). It would be utterly pointless to FLAC an MP3 as all the data is already lost.

Dave
    11-18-2014 04:18 PM