11-21-2014 12:44 PM
52 123
tools
    I had an S3, and S4, and now the Note 4. To me, the Note 4 is a sturdier feeling phone. I can't grasp why you would think the S3 is a more solid device. Other than the simply fact that it is so much smaller maybe making you feel that way.
    But I also use a thin case on all of my devices, so the case mainly sets the feel of the device.
    TouchWiz never bothered me enough for my to want a different phone. Though I must admit that sticking to the 4x4 grid, with all this screen, is goofy.
    It really sounds like you do not like the Note 4. Have you looked at the LG G3. A cowork has one and he really likes it. You may want to consider that.
    James Miller13 likes this.
    11-18-2014 09:01 PM
    Every phone when released has the same thread...... I love it, I hate it. I love to hate it... Enjoy what ever device you end up with..
    11-18-2014 09:02 PM
    my main complaint is this plastic edge with silver strip..
    BTW, On the Note 4, that is actually a wide METAL edge, with a painted white strip, not plastic like the S3 and S4.
    11-18-2014 09:13 PM
    my main complaint is this plastic edge with silver strip.. rmbr this phone retails for around £600 !

but for any1 to say the build is solid and top end.. is in denial, again IMO...
    plastic phone for £600 ? seriously ?
    Lord almighty. Samsung releases a phone with a beautiful, chamfered metal edge and people still call it cheap and plasticky. What's more, the person hating it because it's 'cheap and plasticky' prefers a Samsung predecessor that by definition was 'cheap and plasticky'.

Am I understanding this correctly? I'm getting more and more confused as this thread goes on.
    11-18-2014 10:56 PM
    Isn't the s3 glazed with sugar? That thing scratches and peels like a banana with claws. My friend has his still and every time he pulls it out I want to give him my s4... not to mention he has it on sprint!

And another person who I know has an s3 is my grandpa, oh wait....he had an insurance claim on it and they gave him an s4 since they stopped making that s3.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    11-19-2014 12:10 AM
    For a long time, based on what I'd read, I thought a Note 4 was the phone I'd want to replace my Note 3. After seeing one in person I don't care for the way Samsung implemented the metal and don't for the life of me understand why they painted the metal instead of simply brushing it. I imagine the champhered edges of the metal and the paint chipping after 6 months+. ...which would really bother me.
    11-19-2014 12:33 AM
    Agreed that your unpopular opinion does not make you a troll.
    yes, there are some that have their whole being and self worth wrapped up in an inanimate tool.
    That being said, I too disagree with your opinion regarding the "build". The S3 and Galaxy Nexus were my first Sammy phones and they were also the first phones that felt "plasticky and cheap" for me. I appreciated the tech and software but never liked the feel of the phones.
    Fast forward to the N4; I do not own one but have played with several and feel that the overall build and feel are far superior to any prior Sammy phones (as it should). Am I tired of the same old design, yes....enough to keep me from getting one.
    As far as TW and the icons, well that's the beauty of Android. Get a launcher you like as well as an icon pack, problem solved.
    Personal preference is just that, if ain't ringing your bell move on.
    11-19-2014 08:54 AM
    a little bit? i'd say that's the understatement of the year...from your post one could gleam that about the only thing positive to be said about your Note 4 is that it didn't, "explode in your hand" when u plugged it up 1st time... lol

Seriously, a few "icons more to ur liking" that you might find will never make so much of a difference that you "fall totally in love with this phone" and quite frankly, with all the great phones out there right now, its senseless to settle. No matter what you do to a Note 4, it will never deliver the experience of a SGS III (thank the lord!)

BTC
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    11-19-2014 12:09 PM
    What I've seen about the Note 4 and it's design has given a greater appreciation for the Note 3.
    11-19-2014 01:26 PM
    For a long time, based on what I'd read, I thought a Note 4 was the phone I'd want to replace my Note 3. After seeing one in person I don't care for the way Samsung implemented the metal and don't for the life of me understand why they painted the metal instead of simply brushing it. I imagine the champhered edges of the metal and the paint chipping after 6 months+. ...which would really bother me.
    It's unfortunate that information about metal frame keeps floating around. It's metal plated plastic which is clear to see when one pulls the pen stylus out and looks at the edge of the frame.

Edit: It is metal. Disregard.
    11-19-2014 01:57 PM
    thx for all the replys..

1st off.. most are right yes the S3 was a plasticky phone.. but for me.. i changed the back cover straight away to 1 of those covers that closes like a book with leather inside so the screen doesnt get scratched.. so maybe thats why it never felt so plasticky..

anyways,, who here has a white NOTE 4 ? thats what i have.. and for any1 to say the build is solid then look at the HTC ONE M8 or even the new iphone 6.. those are SOLID builds.. why is even samsung thinking of making the S6 a solid build ? because this is what ppl want..

IMO the note 4 for a flagship h-set from Samsung build is cheap and plasticky, i dont have anything bad to say under the bonnet other than the icons.. my main complaint is this plastic edge with silver strip.. rmbr this phone retails for around £600 !

i love samsung/andriod to bits, the customizations of settings and rooting h-set is what brought me to samsung in the 1st place..

but for any1 to say the build is solid and top end.. is in denial, again IMO...
    plastic phone for £600 ? seriously ?
    OK, now you're getting me started. I picked up an iPhone 6 the other day and as soon as I had in my hand, I HATED it. Not only was it slippery but it no longer looked like the iconic iPhones we're used to. I am not an iPhone fan by any means but I always have liked their looks. Now it just looks and feels like a lot of other phones out there. Just because it has an aluminum build doesn't mean it feels premium. I definitely like the feel of the Note 4. Might I also take this chance to say that just because a phone has plastic in it, doesn't mean it's cheap.

I've had some "plastic" phones that I really liked the build of. Remember that long gone phone the MyTouch with the slide out keyboard? Call me crazy but I really liked that phone. Ok and I also like the Blackberry Pearl Flip which nobody seemed to like. It is what it is.
    11-19-2014 02:23 PM
    It's unfortunate that information about metal frame keeps floating around. It's metal plated plastic which is clear to see when one pulls the pen stylus out and looks at the edge of the frame.
    Please look about 1 millimeter either side of the s pen sheath and you will see where the plastic ends and that metal begins. When looked at it from inside the s pen sheath, then yes it will look how you described. But it only takes a small effort to look at the bottom with the pen in or out to see where the metal meets up with the plastic. There's a seperate thread for this nonsense debate, so we can keep it there if needs be. However, when does one consider a "metal plating" to suddenly be a "metal frame"? Seems some would have differing opinion of that so it does not much good to debate it.
    muzzy996 likes this.
    11-19-2014 04:18 PM
    Please look about 1 millimeter either side of the s pen sheath and you will see where the plastic ends and that metal begins. When looked at it from inside the s pen sheath, then yes it will look how you described. But it only takes a small effort to look at the bottom with the pen in or out to see where the metal meets up with the plastic. There's a seperate thread for this nonsense debate, so we can keep it there if needs be. However, when does one consider a "metal plating" to suddenly be a "metal frame"? Seems some would have differing opinion of that so it does not much good to debate it.
    Took a bit more effort than small, I know what you're saying . . there's a tiny seam which I could not see without my reading glasses . . I don't have the sharpest vision so I put in more effort and scrapped off paint under the battery cover and poked around with a continuity meter for good measure. You are correct. I'll revise my post.

BTW the painting seems to be done after partial assembly so I can't tell but the frame is likely multiple pieces. I get no continuity betwen the left and right sides. Fun little excercise LOL, thanks for that!

Thanks!
    11-19-2014 04:41 PM
    Took a bit more effort than small, I know what you're saying . . there's a tiny seam which I could not see without my reading glasses . . I don't have the sharpest vision so I put in more effort and scrapped off paint under the battery cover and poked around with a continuity meter for good measure. You are correct. I'll revise my post.

BTW the painting seems to be done after partial assembly so I can't tell but the frame is likely multiple pieces. I get no continuity betwen the left and right sides. Fun little excercise LOL, thanks for that!

Thanks!
    You are correct that there will not be continuity between sides. There are 4 areas of plastic on each corner that would disrupt any electrical current. It is to aid in the signal from the radios. Therefore, the metal is in at least 4 pieces.
    muzzy996 likes this.
    11-19-2014 05:17 PM
    What I've seen about the Note 4 and it's design has given a greater appreciation for the Note 3.
    That's cuz you've only "seen it" and not "held it".... If you walk over to it expecting the same, "feel in hand" as Note 3, it amazes and delights you, as it feels 1000% better....whereas if you walk over to it and pick it up and expect it to knock off your socks, it might disappoint you...

From what i have seen on user opinions, it seems ppl should decide what they hope the Note 4 IS and THEN just expect the opposite of that and that should help u decide if its for you or not...lol

Personally, i was NOT impressed AT ALL playing with it in Best Buy. But for some reason i got it anyway, and somewhere between turning it on for the first time, setting it up, and using it the first few days, i fell hard for it, wouldn't trade it for a boatload of Nexi...lol

BTC

11-19-2014 06:00 PM
    if you dont like the feeling of it, always can get a hardcase. the note 4 is a beast
    11-19-2014 11:43 PM
    That's cuz you've only "seen it" and not "held it".... If you walk over to it expecting the same, "feel in hand" as Note 3, it amazes and delights you, as it feels 1000% better....whereas if you walk over to it and pick it up and expect it to knock off your socks, it might disappoint you...

From what i have seen on user opinions, it seems ppl should decide what they hope the Note 4 IS and THEN just expect the opposite of that and that should help u decide if its for you or not...lol

Personally, i was NOT impressed AT ALL playing with it in Best Buy. But for some reason i got it anyway, and somewhere between turning it on for the first time, setting it up, and using it the first few days, i fell hard for it, wouldn't trade it for a boatload of Nexi...lol

BTC

How a phone "feels" to me is largely irrelevant. I'm not one if those "molest-my-phone" types. I keep my phones in cases with preferably-glass screen protectors. I also read that the rounded glass on the Note 4 makes implementing a tempered glass screen protector hard or with shaky results (like potential crud up under the edges).
    11-20-2014 03:31 AM
    How a phone "feels" to me is largely irrelevant. I'm not one if those "molest-my-phone" types. I keep my phones in cases with preferably-glass screen protectors. I also read that the rounded glass on the Note 4 makes implementing a tempered glass screen protector hard or with shaky results (like potential crud up under the edges).
    I've read a lot of things online that have been 100% false. I'm not saying these issues can't occur, but I'd never make my decision on a device solely on what I've read online. If you're not a Note 4 fan, that's totally cool. But there's so much more to a device than what you're going to read online.
    11-20-2014 09:00 AM
    I've read a lot of things online that have been 100% false. I'm not saying these issues can't occur, but I'd never make my decision on a device solely on what I've read online. If you're not a Note 4 fan, that's totally cool. But there's so much more to a device than what you're going to read online.
    True, but when there's so so many other great choices....
    11-20-2014 09:05 AM
    True, but when there's so so many other great choices....
    Oh I hear ya. There's endless great choices. I guess ultimately i'm just saying two things.........1) Don't believe EVERYTHING you read on the internet. 2) If you choose to write off a device based on what you read, just move on to the posts about the other great devices available instead of trying to convince people on the boards of the device you dislike, that it's a failure.

I'm not necessarily accusing you of doing that, but I guess I just don't grasp the point of what you're saying. Sure, it's not perfect by any means. I also appreciate an understanding of it's weaknesses as there are a few. I guess i've just never understood spending time in a forum for a device that I didn't like and had never even held in my hand. Until the things you've read online become YOUR experience and you're able to get behind it 100%, you sharing what other people have said wont ever benefit anyone.
    gregg6942 likes this.
    11-20-2014 09:11 AM
    I agree with the others that if you arent happy with the phone, there is absolutely no reason for you to keep it. You came to an android forum and you are surprised when people defend the phone they love. You keep giving examples of phones that you believe are better quality, so why not switch to one of those?
    11-20-2014 09:14 AM
    I have held the device and have been a staunch Note fan. The Note 4 is the first Note that has been questionable, because of build choices, to me. I think I'm still in an "information gathering" mode and haven't truly ruled it out.
    11-20-2014 09:15 AM
    I have held the device and have been a staunch Note fan. The Note 4 is the first Note that has been questionable, because of build choices, to me. I think I'm still in an "information gathering" mode and haven't truly ruled it out.
    Just go get one and if you don't like it return it before your test drive period is over and exchange it for something else. All this information gathering is pretty simple and by now you should at least have gravitated towards one phone. Here it is fast and simple, not over complicated.

Note 4 = s pen phablet with 100 reasons to buy available to market to the masses, removable battery, super charge, SD card availability, 16 megapixel camera, 3 front

Nexus 6 = big screen, smooth operating sytem, immediate android updates, front facing speakers, super charge

Apple 6+ = unique operating system, quality build, solid trusted device with solid warranty.

LG Flex = self healing technology, 6 inch display that is curved, unique device

It's simple, these are you bullet selling points, does this help or you still going to knock devices for little petty stuff like not using the top industry rated materials or minor bugs to work out or the inside of the device lol. Hope this helps you see things in a real light. And all new phones have bugs and not one is perfect for everyone.

11-20-2014 05:26 PM
    Still running an S3 here waiting for the Edge. I have no idea about the S3 build it still works great, but has been in a case since day one, as will my Note Edge. I do like that I have it rooted an tweaked to perfection which is not an option with the Notes... yet.
    11-20-2014 05:44 PM
    Just go get one and if you don't like it return it before your test drive period is over and exchange it for something else. All this information gathering is pretty simple and by now you should at least have gravitated towards one phone. Here it is fast and simple, not over complicated.

Note 4 = s pen phablet with 100 reasons to buy available to market to the masses, removable battery, super charge, SD card availability, 16 megapixel camera, 3 front

Nexus 6 = big screen, smooth operating sytem, immediate android updates, front facing speakers, super charge

Apple 6+ = unique operating system, quality build, solid trusted device with solid warranty.

LG Flex = self healing technology, 6 inch display that is curved, unique device

It's simple, these are you bullet selling points, does this help or you still going to knock devices for little petty stuff like not using the top industry rated materials or minor bugs to work out or the inside of the device lol. Hope this helps you see things in a real light. And all new phones have bugs and not one is perfect for everyone.

Please remember, I am not the OP. It's not that serious to me. If I don't choose a Note 4 I'll choose something else, no big deal...been at this phone thing for a while.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    11-21-2014 07:23 AM
52 123