My guess is two years. Hoping for 5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-17-2014 06:03 PM
    The device can last a long time if you are good to it. But in terms of tech relevancy, it won't stay 'current' after 2 years. Heck, even after a year it will be an 'older' model, maybe 6 months if you count the next flagship that's not a Note.
    11-17-2014 06:25 PM
    My note 3 is over a year old now. (I'm not saying anything more about it - and you can probably figure out why.)

My standby phone - a Motorola V551 - is over 10 years old and still going strong. (So is the original battery.)

My old Motorola brick - one of the first mass-produced cellphones - still works. the battery won't hold a charge, but it works for about 5 minutes after an overnight charge. The phone can't be used any more - it's analog, and there's no more analog cellphone service - but the phone works. (NiCad batteries don't last that many years, no matter how good you are to them.)

So 5 years? Don't discharge the battery below 40% too often (never, if you can help it) - although a new battery is only about $15, don't use the phone if it's been out in a car in below freezing weather all night until the entire phone, battery included, has warmed up (and don't take a freezing phone into a warm humid house - the condensation will cause water damage), don't drop it, even in a good case, and not even onto soft sand, and you'll probably want to replace the phone before there's anything wrong with it. (My V551 lets me have telephone call access if the Note 3 has to go in for repair, or if I'll be in a situation where the phone might get wet, damaged or stolen - I can probably replace it from Craig's List for $10 - but I wouldn't want it as my main phone any more, even if it was one of the best phones available in the summer of 2004. I'd probably still be using my Motorola Startac 7868 if it were still legal to use a phone that doesn't have EGPS. It was probably one of the best phones ever made (even though it didn't have so much as a contact list.)
    11-17-2014 06:41 PM
    I'd probably still be using my Motorola Startac 7868 if it were still legal to use a phone that doesn't have EGPS. It was probably one of the best phones ever made.
    Still one of the best phones of all time. The V551 was not bad, either.

The startac could get a signal in a submarine.
    11-17-2014 06:51 PM
    The thing that is that the aluminum will scratch but i really can see this lasting a good few years not with me but with some people it can for me after a while I like to rock it naked but the camera sticks out a lot and the aluminum seems like it will scratch easy..

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-17-2014 07:12 PM
    i get way too bored with phones to ever consider anything over 1 1/2 - 2 years. forget 5
    11-17-2014 07:43 PM
    I had no issues at all with my S4 other than the batteries needed replacing. I probably would have kept using it for a while longer if the Note 4 hadn't debuted around the time the batteries started to degrade.

I'm sure that once my Note 4 is in that same place in 14-16 months I'll start drooling over the note 6 or S7-S8
    11-17-2014 08:28 PM
    My palm Centro is still in a drawer in near perfect condition. So is my Palm Pre, S2, and S3. Safe to say I think this can last a long *** time.
    11-17-2014 09:02 PM