why wont my Imac recognize my Note 4

tmullins25

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I tried Kies and AFT and neither of them will recognize my Note 4. Even just plugging it in to the computer nothing happens. I tried looking in the system setting on the note 4 but cant find anything to help. Anyone have any ideas?

rahul.sharma

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Same here with Windows 8.1. I am actually new to android so not sure if there is some settings that allow device to be detected. I want to transfer some music but not sure how to do that.
Any one?

Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note® 4

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For the Mac, I would suggest AFT over Kies, but that's just my preference. AFT works like a Finder window and offers drag and drop flexibility, much easier and faster than Kies. If you choose to use AFT it will not work with Kies installed on your Mac. To uninstall Kies, open the dmg file, and use the uninstaller to properly remove it. If after removing Kies, AFT still does not recognize your phone, reboot your Mac while the phone is still connected to your Mac. It should work then.

For Windows, you probably will need to have the Samsung drivers installed. You can either get them by installing Samsung Kies for your operating system or by separate download on the Samsung support website.

tmullins25

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I dont have kies installed and my phone just charges when it is connected to my mac. Is there a USB connecting options on the note 4 as there was on the 2 and 3?Also rebooted with phone connected. Still nothing.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I dont have kies installed and my phone just charges when it is connected to my mac. Is there a USB connecting options on the note 4 as there was on the 2 and 3?Also rebooted with phone connected. Still nothing.

With your phone connected to your Mac, swipe down the notification shade, see if you have a usb connection notification, if you do it should show connected as media device (MTP), if it reads anything else such as connected as camera, tap the notification to change it to the MTP selection.

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I actually had this problem today with my macbook with aft. I don't have kies. I remembered installing samsung smart switch so I opened that dmg and Uninstalled it, reconnected my phone, and all is working well now.

Posted via the Android Central App

tmullins25

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
When my phone is plugged in and i swipe down it does not say anything besides powersaving mode. I can only connect via blue tooth and it takes too much time.

Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a Mac and I use Android File Transfer and it's been working with my ATT Note 3, then my Verizon Note 4, now have a Note 4 with AT&T and after Lollipop update, still works fine. I do hear from some people that they have problems with AFT. I talked to a tech rep that uses a Mac and can't get it to work with any of his Samsung devices. Guess it's hit or Miss. I've been lucky it works for me. Great for Quick file transfers.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've only connected my note 4 once to my macbook air. When I first connected it nothing happened lol I'm new to mac. However I did a quick Google search and worked out that I needed to download Android file transfer. Downloaded that and it worked fine after that.

Posted from my gold note 4

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I never had any luck at all with Kies and my Mac. Android File Transfer works, but at the same time it can be a little time consuming trying to move stuff back and forth between my phone and Mac.

AirDroid is the BEST! There's a free and paid version. Free version is fairly limited in what it can do, but it's good enough to give you a little taste of what it's all about. The paid version is effing amazeballs. Only thing that sucks is that the paid version is a subscription, so you have to pay every year, but it comes out to like $2 a month and it definitely worth it, imo. Best thing about it is that there is a destop app you can download for Mac which has a pretty cool mirroring option. It's not a true mirror (that I know of) that allows you to cast your phone's screen to your desktop, but it sends all of the alerts and notifications from your phone to your computer. This is great for me because I don't get great cell signal in my home office, so have to leave my phone in another room. If I heard a text or got an incoming call, I'd have to leave my desk to check my phone. Now I can send/receive calls and texts from my desktop. There's also a web based portal for you to log into that has even more options than the desktop app.

I'm not the type to pimp something hard like this, but I love it. It has made my Mac/Android experience about a million times better. Oh, and it works via USB or wifi.

www.airdroid.com

SonnyMans

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to thank you for your solution.

I has been days trying to move 38gb of music using Kies 3 to my newly purchased Note 4. I have 128gb sd card on it and it just freezes and does nothing. After using your solution - I have been able to move all the music using AFT which is a breeze compared to Kies>

SAMSUNG - listen to your customers. I can see that a lot of people have been having problems for a long time and you have done nothing. I rang support who was able to find a solution for me. SmartSwitch does not allow transfer to external memory.

Cheers!

SonnyMans

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

I has been days trying to move 38gb of music using Kies 3 to my newly purchased Note 4. I have 128gb sd card on it and it just freezes and does nothing. After using your solution - I have been able to move all the music using AFT which is a breeze compared to Kies>

SAMSUNG - listen to your customers. I can see that a lot of people have been having problems for a long time and you have done nothing. I rang support who was able to find a solution for me. SmartSwitch does not allow transfer to external memory.

Cheers!

GrandMasterB

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Cheers!

Which solution worked for you?

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Cool about AirDroid giving you notifications from your cell---can you respond to texts by the iMac? That'd be awesome!

Yes. When I'm at my desk I don't get cell signal, so I leave my phone in another room. But if I get a text message I can read and reply from my Mac (work with Windows, too).

Posted via the Android Central App