Using a different launcher with the s pen

johnnnnnymtl

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm still deciding whether to go with the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 and I have questions about the Note 4 / S pen and the Touch wiz launcher.

If I install a different launcher such as Nova or google launcher do I lose any of the S pen functionality? Do I lose any other important functions I could have had with TW?

Posted via the Android Central App

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm still deciding whether to go with the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 and I have questions about the Note 4 / S pen and the Touch wiz launcher.

If I install a different launcher such as Nova or google launcher do I lose any of the S pen functionality? Do I lose any other important functions I could have had with TW?

Posted via the Android Central App

With Nova you only lose Action memo pin to homescreen option, but there is a workaround posted in other thread, that's all i am aware of.

Coolboy32

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm using nova prime, doesn't seem to effect s pen functionality, everything is working fine from when I was still on touchwiz.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
You will lose some of the Touch Wiz widgets as well. Why is it that you don't like Touch Wiz? It seems to be a common sentiment among forum members, but I just don't see it. I like it a lot.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You will lose some of the Touch Wiz widgets as well. Why is it that you don't like Touch Wiz? It seems to be a common sentiment among forum members, but I just don't see it. I like it a lot.

The icons would be the number one reason for me. Personally, I like a uniform appearance to the icons and you can't do that with TW.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

For me, its the lack of customization. With Nova Prime, I can rename shortcuts on the home screens, change icons, change transitions, change the amount of icons I can display on the screen and so on. Touch Wiz just doesn't have a level of customization to make the phone feel like *yours*. As the new slogan says, "Be together. Not the same." That's the biggest thing alternate launchers bring to the party. And a faster user experience. That's pretty big too.

johnnnnnymtl

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy S3 and have tried other launchers (Nova, Google) and I like the way those look and feel more. Ive heard that TW has gotten better so if i do get a Note 4 i'll definitely give it another try, otherwise I like to know that I have other options!

nytmare

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy S3 and have tried other launchers (Nova, Google) and I like the way those look and feel more. Ive heard that TW has gotten better so if i do get a Note 4 i'll definitely give it another try, otherwise I like to know that I have other options!

I was in the same boat. I came from a GS3 as well and heard the same about TW. I gave it shot on my N4 and I agree that TW has come a long way, but unfortunately not far enough for me. I don't like that the home screens won't wrap or rotate to landscape. I also don't care much for the look of the folders. I suppose I could play around with a handful of other apps that might provide the functionality I'm looking for... or I could just go with a different launcher. I went with Apex since I used that with my GS3 and liked it. I've been happy with it so far and I've heard similar comments from those who have gone with Nova and other launchers.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
If TW is the only reason to not like the phone...then you've got a great phone to choose. Between Nova, Apex, Aviate, and Google Now, there are enough great launcher choices that don't consume resources or battery life nowadays that I no longer understand why people complain about TW.

TW isn't that bad on the Note 4. Having said that, if you don't like it, great. Get a different launcher. You'll still love this phone.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For me, its the lack of customization. With Nova Prime, I can rename shortcuts on the home screens, change icons, change transitions, change the amount of icons I can display on the screen and so on. Touch Wiz just doesn't have a level of customization to make the phone feel like *yours*. As the new slogan says, "Be together. Not the same." That's the biggest thing alternate launchers bring to the party. And a faster user experience. That's pretty big too.
All the things you mention plus more and some of the more is the way it handles widgets. Like overlapping widgets...widgets to front or back...Widget padding. I have not found a launcher that fills all the gaps for me like Nova Launcher Prime does.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
All the things you mention plus more and some of the more is the way it handles widgets. Like overlapping widgets...widgets to front or back...Widget padding. I have not found a launcher that fills all the gaps for me like Nova Launcher Prime does.

+1

gnslngr45

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The concern here (which is my concern) is that the primary reason i am looking at the Note 4 is the S-pen. I want to use my own launcher (Apex launcher with Zooper Widget that covers entire home screen) and am worried I may lose some functionality of the S-pen. If no S-pen functionality is lost then I am very excited about the Note 4. Could care less about TW functionality loss - unless it involves the S-pen.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The concern here (which is my concern) is that the primary reason i am looking at the Note 4 is the S-pen. I want to use my own launcher (Apex launcher with Zooper Widget that covers entire home screen) and am worried I may lose some functionality of the S-pen. If no S-pen functionality is lost then I am very excited about the Note 4. Could care less about TW functionality loss - unless it involves the S-pen.

You won't lose any meaningful S-Pen functionality by switching to another launcher. In fact, I haven't used the TouchWiz launcher in anything but the briefest of passings in over 2 years (other launchers offer so much more). In that time I've had the Note 2, 3 x Note 3, and a Note 4 ...and a lot of other Samsung phones.