Hi, everyone. I'm having a variety of power-related problems with my Note 2 and likely need to replace it when my update becomes available next month. My problem? Right now I'm rooted, so am able to use the SD card to write local files I might need (naming folders by project name, for example). But I understand that the GN4 won't allow me to do that. I also need to be able to tether my Galaxy Note 10.1 , for which (as I'm on unlimited data) I believe I also need root.

Am I out of luck until someone manages to root the GN4? Any other helpful ideas? I really need the stylus, as I use it all the time. I suppose I can give up unlimited data so I can tether without root, but obviously would prefer not to do that ...
    11-18-2014 08:50 AM
    By default, Android 4.4 allows applications to write anywhere on the internal storage and to their own application directory on the SD card. System applications, like the file manager, can still manipulate any directory on the SD card. This was done for security reasons. In Lollipop, which will be coming to the Note 4 soon (allegedly), Google is adding an API to allow any app to write anywhere on the SD card again.

Tethering depends on your carrier. With T-Mobile you need root to bypass the tethering restrictions, but since you say you have unlimited data and no tethering I assume you are not on T-Mobile. For the other carriers you can use FoxFi for wireless tether without root.
    11-18-2014 09:54 AM
    its been rooted for weeks if you are on tmobile
    any of the custom roms allow you to write to sd, and, if you are rooted, there are apps on the play store that do the same..

not an issue any more..
    11-18-2014 10:30 AM
    Root is only an issue if you're on Verizon. For everyone else, it is more a matter of when, not if.

But most of the concerns you have should be mitigated by 4.4.4 if not completely so by Lollipop.

Tethering, as has already been mentioned, is more or less addressed by most carriers new data sharing plans these days. US Cellular (my carrier) doesn't bother with tethering plans as a separate charge any more. It is simply part of your overall data usage. My Note 4 can tether out of the box, along with WiFi direct, etc.
    11-18-2014 10:44 AM