Can the stock calendar app be disabled?

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Installed Google Calendar which I find much faster than the stock TouchWiz one (also nice new 5.0 features). But then you get double notifications for all appointments.

Need to disable the stock. But, when I go to App Info for the stock calendar, the "Turn off" button is disabled; as is the "Show Notifications" checkbox.

Other Samung preinstalled apps can be disabled (turned off), but seemingly not Calendar. Is there a way?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Not other than root in afraid. But you should be able to turn off the notifications for the calendar with in the calendar app. Or just r erase everything from that calendar but leave it on the other one.

Linh321

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why not. You can disable it and turn off the notifications and take the widget off. If you can't then don't use it or sync it to the email that you use the calendar with

Posted via Android Central App with LG Google Nexus 4

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called Today so I turned off Calendar. Obviously it's possible. It WAS a problem when I turned off Calendar Storage though. Now it only shows what I want. Maybe's it's grayed out if in use or something...Screenshot_2014-11-18-12-03-35.jpg

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why not. You can disable it and turn off the notifications and take the widget off. If you can't then don't use it or sync it...

Turning off notification within the stock calendar's settings worked. Thanks.

Had been trying to disable from the OS level App Info, but that's a not go. Samsung for some reason disabled the "Turn of" and generic notifications butoton. As the folks above vommented, looks like one needs root to actually kill it from rubbing. 😕

Regarding not syncing, I was already not syncing to Samsung, but it still syncs to the Google account, do events are in both cal apps. Still, with no notifications, it's out of sight, out of mind.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called Today so I turned off Calendar. Obviously it's possible. It WAS a problem when I turned off Calendar Storage though. Now it only shows what I want. Maybe's it's grayed out if in use or something...View attachment 148904

In the App manager, I see 2 "Calendar" entities for the stock app. The smaller one I can Turn Off, but the other, the one that puts up the notifications (seemingly the main app), has Turn Off button disabled. Allowed to Stop it, but still Turn Off not enabled.

I guess Samsung just can't imagine anyone would want to turn off their lovingly bloated app. ☺

Fortunately, per above, the notifications can be controlled inside the app. Still means it's hovering in back, eating resources, buy I guess will have to live with that.

parnasuss

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to solve the same problem, however in addition- inside the gmail app there are links for "more details" when viewing meeting invites, these links currently take me to the stock calendar app (which I'd like to remove completely, grr), how do I get these links to take me to the google calendar app instead?

parnasuss

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Let me be more specific - is there a way to get the "more information" links in the gmail app to lead to the google calendar instead of the stock calendar?

parnasuss

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok, after blocking sCloudSyncCalendar and SPlanner with Debloater the links in the gmail app asked me to set up a new default so I can now have them go right to the google calendar (even though previously I could not change the default action and looking at the stock calendar it would not be listed as having any default actions set up, weird).

Thanks a ton josh!

Dumaru

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I just managed to do this with Package Disabler Pro (Samsung). I have also used it to disable a lot of other bloatware without requiring root. Best must have on my Note 5 yet!

I did search in Package Disabler Pro for "Calendar" and the 2 Calendar's that it listed that had the Samsung Calendar Icon's.